Anyone else kind of regretting multiclassing?

The game in its current state (a complete walkover) would not necessarly be  the best testing ground for multiclass synergies at the moment

wait until they fix it then say you have good synergies that work.

Any synergy from any multiclass will be good and beat the game at the moment

A level one priest/ monk with a quarterstaff is a synergy that can beat the game on POTD 

i wish i was joking

I love the multiclassing. How can anyone believe they suck? A cipher with Carnage? A tank with Riposte? Anything with Faith and Conviction? So many possibilities some stronger then others. I've only played this game solo so far because of the lack of difficulty and I am super happy about multiclassing. I love my Bleakwalker/Assassin!

because the game currently isnt big enough to make them worthwhile,

by the time you gain enough levels to get what you want half the game is over, 

I will be rolling multis after the expansions come out

that isn't true at all, even at level 5 they're already great, and you can reach level 5 I think before you even leave the first island or just after leaving. That's nowhere near half the game.

As others have said, you need to actually plan them out properly instead of just going with what has a name you like.

Now single classes do have their value as well due to accessing higher level abilities much sooner. So I think overall their power is reasonably balanced.

You need to experiment with them more, they don't suck. Nor does it need late-game to switch on.

Example: Eder as a Swashbuckler level 11 - Therefore unlocking level 4 Fighter/Rogue abilities.

Just take a look at the talent trees and synergies (Via POE2 wiki) respectively and imagine the variety of builds you could make -

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Rogue

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Fighter

Just a few examples:

Positioning: Charge (Fighter) into battle, gone too deep? Cast Smoke Veil/Escape (Rogue)

Engages:Hold the line + Fighter Stance (Fighter) +  Persistent Distraction (Rogue) = More Distracted (flanked) = more Sneak Attacks (Rogue)

Accuracies: Disciplined Barrage + Confident Aim (Fighter) + Dirty Fighting (Rogue) = More hits, more crits

Etc....

There are so many examples that doesn't even scrape the surface, the beauty of POE2 is the variety, there are SO many options!

Also if you're into something more exotic, I recommend Loremaster (Chanter + Wizard), a lot of cool whacky comboes and synergies you can experiment with there.

I made Fassina a loremaster and had her specialize in lightning related abilities. She's ripping things apart on ship fights without me controlling her (she's not in the main party)

Seeing that has actually made me want to try a run with a loremaster as my PC.

• Like 1

Solo'd 90% of POTD/Iron (dropped party because the game was too easy) with a pure Zerker. Instrument of Boundless Range is ****ing awesome I have to say but heart of fury was a bit underwhelming for the cost (4 rage), when I could chain gib the entire screen with Barbaric Smash. 

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with Multiclassing, you'll just have to know what the hell you are doing. The problem the OP is having is not the result of bad balancing, it is the result of a badly thought out build.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Multiclassing feels more powerful early game, where as single classes, especially casters feel way more powerful in the late game. 

Xoti for example. I made her a pure priest solely to buff and heal. Around level 10 she wasn't as useful anymore and I regret not going Priest/Monk to have the Swift Flurry so she can do more damage. At level 16 I got access to Spark the Souls of the Righteous, which is such a hilariously powerful spell that even non-empowered ended all fights within 10 seconds. 

(For those that don't know, it places an AoE on every ally/summon it hits that ticks for 15-25/*30-50 damage in an AoE every 3 seconds for 30/*45?60? seconds.)

You hit that on your 2 melee and 3-6 summoned minions, suddenly everything around you just dies. 

Imho, Multiclassing is more powerful for longer/sustained fights especially with melees and creates more powerful tanks, where as single class is stronger for casters and shorter fights. Then again, the empowered spells will likely make every fight a short fight, so that point is relatively moot. 

I made Fassina a loremaster and had her specialize in lightning related abilities. She's ripping things apart on ship fights without me controlling her (she's not in the main party)

Seeing that has actually made me want to try a run with a loremaster as my PC.

That's exactly what I did! *high five* . :banana:

I commend your choice of opting for the lightning. In practice you could benefit from the bonus lightning pen from Wizard passive and as a Conjurer  with no Evocation spells it gives you some bang via the Chanter tree! My PC is already a fury druid with lots of lightning so I used Fassina as a summoner/healer/buff bot.

I was testing Fassina out with summons, the drake summons were very useful albeit a long cast time - Whilst there are already a lot of items in the game that grant summons, with this spell you can upgrade it (at level tier 5-6  i think?) and its suitable roleplay!

The "Rejoice My Comrades, Two Fingers of Daylight" spell at rank 3 - Incredibly useful healing spell! It can bounce multiple times provided you're in an enclosed area, providing mega area of effect heals.

I think they mentioned on the Q/A yesterday that they'll be tuning down Chanters.

I prefer single class for some reason, I always feel I miss out if I can't get the top tier abilities lol. I'm not really missing out though, I know. Two paths really; Focused, or Flexible.

Whatever the case I always pick a class/multiclass that fits the character I develop, I'm a sucker for roleplaying. Stats and all that become secondary to me haha.

Nah, I have lots of fun with my Witch. He's a bit squishy, but has dealt as much damage as the rest of my party together at this point.

Wish they'd thought up a better more fitting name for a barb + cipher multiclass. 

• Like 1

Nah, I have lots of fun with my Witch. He's a bit squishy, but has dealt as much damage as the rest of my party together at this point.

Wish they'd thought up a better more fitting name for a barb + cipher multiclass. 

Honestly, Serafen's unique cipher subclass name would've been more fitting for all barbs/ciphers - "wild mind" or something along those lines

• Like 1

I wish they would've just canned the entire silly idea of meaningless titles. Let Barb/Cipher just be a Barb/Cipher, it doesn't need a freaking title. If anything, these titles take away from the game more than they add to it. Obsession with titles is a sign of moral degradation, so perhaps it is a byproduct of some deeper issues within the company that are also reflected within the piss poor condition the game was released in and considering Obsidian's reputation, subpar writing.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Obsession with titles is a sign of moral degradation, so perhaps it is a byproduct of some deeper issues within the company that are also reflected within the piss poor condition the game was released in and considering Obsidian's reputation, subpar writing.

giphy.gif

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 12

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I did a mix of single classed and multi-classed party members, figuring things will balance themselves out over the long haul.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm a roleplayer through and through. I play rpgs to build fun characters and interact with npcs. I gave no thought to synergies and just built a shepard because it sounded cool. I have noticed somethign funny the AI has started to do. My party splits on every encounter with every single npc targeting a single enemy and my charname and animal companion dinving into the whole mob. My charname finishes first and with less damage.

There's nothing wrong with Multiclassing, you'll just have to know what the hell you are doing. The problem the OP is having is not the result of bad balancing, it is the result of a badly thought out build.

You think a Assassin/ wizard is a bad multi?

It probably would be the most powerful multi in the game when they get citzals martial power.

It probably would be the most powerful multi in the game when they get citzals martial power.

I thought people played Spellblade as assassin/evoker critting with fireballs from stealth or some such, not as a martial class? I mean would you really end up using citzals martial power at max lvl?

Ran a Beckoner/Wael priest until I put off further playing until the dispositions/relationships/import bugs are patched. Mainly because the combination seemed to fit me, but Wael makes for decent tanking, tiny skeletons are OP and hilarious, and i can even do some decent buffing. I doubt it's everyone's cup of tea, but as a "Control/Nexus"-type character, it plays quite well. Not to mention the free Gaze of the Adragan on the horizon.

Edited by Taevyr

I thought people played Spellblade as assassin/evoker critting with fireballs from stealth or some such, not as a martial class? I mean would you really end up using citzals martial power at max lvl?

why would you want to do that when a single class wizard can do it better

Assassinate works with spells. So, +25 Accuracy, +4 penetration, and +50% crit damage on spells. Thats why. Also, evasion is great for a squishy, deep pockets on a wizard means 6 quick slots for grimoires, combat stealth abilities, etc. Also if evoker's passive goes off out of stealth it will really do some damage.

Good damage from stealth, best mobility in the game, and tons of utility not available to wizard class. Sounds reasonable to me.

The best reason to do it is fun, and an Evoker/Sin looks like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Assassinate works with spells. So, +25 Accuracy, +4 penetration, and +50% crit damage on spells. Thats why. Also, evasion is great for a squishy, deep pockets on a wizard means 6 quick slots for grimoires, combat stealth abilities, etc. Also if evoker's passive goes off out of stealth it will really do some damage.

Good damage from stealth, best mobility in the game, and tons of utility not available to wizard class. Sounds reasonable to me.

The best reason to do it is fun, and an Evoker/Sin looks like a lot of fun.

Yeah but there a wizard self buffs that are far better then the assassinate ability

Plus you get far less spells to use if you mulitclass

The best way to build a multi-rogue would be to use wizard spells to boost melee and melee defense eg Arcane veil, merciless gaze, Displaced image, haste, and citzals martial power

You are never going to beat a pure wizard caster with any multi-classed wizard if you want to sling damaging spells and buffs/ debuffs.......Period.

Like no way in hell even going to come close to it. Absolutely no chance. All you are achieving is you are severely weakening the wizard

Edited by master guardian

At first I thought that single class Evoker would be better for the higher power levels and spells, but it still wasn't impressing me on its own.

Then I made him a nature godlike and multiclassed in Berserker, the int debuff sucks, and I can't cast some spells without worrying about my team. However the action speed reaaallly helped with the increased cast times, the might buff added more damage than power levels, and most importantly was the penetration. Biggest problem I had with wizards was a high enough armor enemy just shrugging off all my spells, the berserkers +2 penetration applies to everything, including my spells, it Reallly made the difference and suddenly almost nothing had better armor than I had pen. He easily did the damage of the rest of my team, combined. Near the end I was basically solo running until last boss through sheer damage.

• Like 1

And? This ain't WoW. You arent competing for a raid spot. Nor trying to win a Battleground. If you enjoy it who cares if it's optimal. You dont have to be the single most optimized character in the game.

Yes, you could use self buffs, grab a big two handed, and use backstab. Either way it looks fun. I bet even after the PotD balancing that every combo will be viable. The ability to build it different ways is what makes it fun for some. You dont always succeed in the uber build, but just for something fun.

MCing isn't necessarily for the powergamer, but for the person that wants a bit more flavor than a single class provides. There are times where they get both. There are times that they dont.

You seem pretty dead set to hate the mechanic either way. So we will have to agree to disagree.

• Like 3

At first I thought that single class Evoker would be better for the higher power levels and spells, but it still wasn't impressing me on its own.

Then I made him a nature godlike and multiclassed in Berserker, the int debuff sucks, and I can't cast some spells without worrying about my team. However the action speed reaaallly helped with the increased cast times, the might buff added more damage than power levels, and most importantly was the penetration. Biggest problem I had with wizards was a high enough armor enemy just shrugging off all my spells, the berserkers +2 penetration applies to everything, including my spells, it Reallly made the difference and suddenly almost nothing had better armor than I had pen. He easily did the damage of the rest of my team, combined. Near the end I was basically solo running until last boss through sheer damage.

Yeah I guess for that (Warlock?) it would really be worth it to just have a priest cast an int inspiration (I think they're all single target unfortunately) on you at the beginning of every fight. All of the wizard spells being FoF sounds pretty crazy  :aiee: 

Could try it with my beloved Helwalker. Evoker/Helwalker whatever the mc combo is called. Tenacious, quick, smart, might from helwalker, acc from dance, int from duality. Also procs wellspring of life for nature godlike, which is great. Monk would eat all your ability points though just PL4 takes takes 4-5 ability points, but I'm sure there's a grimoire out there with most of the stuff you need anyhow.

Yeah but there a wizard self buffs that are far better then the assassinate ability

Plus you get far less spells to use if you mulitclass

The best way to build a multi-rogue would be to use wizard spells to boost melee and melee defense eg Arcane veil, merciless gaze, Displaced image, haste, and citzals martial power

You are never going to beat a pure wizard caster with any multi-classed wizard if you want to sling damaging spells and buffs/ debuffs.......Period.

Like no way in hell even going to come close to it. Absolutely no chance. All you are achieving is you are severely weakening the wizard

Sure why not. A lot of great defensive buffs. Riposte might even do something in that build (yay). Citzals martial power is really late into the game unfortunately.