Anyone else kind of regretting multiclassing?

I've never been a fan of multi-classing in any "Infinity Engine" type game, however; against all regard, I broke down and multi-classed Aloth to Rogue/Wizard. I was nervous that there was not going to be a proper rogue companion in this game and going down to a 5 party team (NOT a fan of 5 party), I figured someone would have to be able to do rogue stuff, so Aloth was the choice.

I feel that it was a poor decision, as I'm using him as a wizard in battles (I'm afraid to engage him in melee) and he feels under powered spell-wise. He is working out good for lockpicking, which is why I wanted a rogue in the first place. I don't know. After playing him multi-class for about 8-10 hours, I'm still not sold on the idea. I don't think I ever will be.

honestly, that does sound like a bad idea... as rogue and wizard don't really mix that well, inho. unless you went with a lot of on-touch, and debuff spell types, then combined them with rogue-ish abilities. though then you'd have to put him into harm's way.

Riposte Rogue/Wizard with Deflection buffs is pretty sweet.

• Like 2

how about priest and ranger ? or ranger and druid ? which I'm playing right now...got mah butt handed to me though a couple of time.. :getlost:

Not very synergetic. You could use Stalker, and pikes/staffs and use pet as tank throwing spells from second line.

The problem is that you can do the same with Beckoner and Priest/Druid. And just summon bunch of summons when throwing buffs/heals for everyone.

There is this thing that some combos are just outclassed by something else.

Ranger/Chanter could be good, chanter auras have larger aoe than priest spells, and you still can shot, there is Ilya and Flame weapons chant. Which could buff you shoting.

hum but I don't like chanter...or cipher....

That's why I went for druid (cose no alignement restriction woot!) and ranger (cose heart something sub class sounded like a cipher thing without being one ) . 

well in combat , I get a ghost animal that I can unleash and the druid give me the transformation for one + spell . Not a tank for sure..but enough to hold my own and keep some busy . 

Edit: oh forgot to ask..but if you take druid + fighter or ranger + paladin..would that make you Tankish ? 

Edited by E.RedMark
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

how about priest and ranger ? or ranger and druid ? which I'm playing right now...got mah butt handed to me though a couple of time.. :getlost:

That's why I went for druid (cose no alignement restriction woot!) and ranger (cose heart something sub class sounded like a cipher thing without being one ) . 

well in combat , I get a ghost animal that I can unleash and the druid give me the transformation for one + spell . Not a tank for sure..but enough to hold my own and keep some busy . 

Edit: oh forgot to ask..but if you take druid + fighter or ranger + paladin..would that make you Tankish ? 

If took Ranger Ghost Heart that is not good for Druid/Priest since you could heal your companion even more with this classes.

Thing to try: Stalker/Shifter. On Ranger ignore shoting, focus on pet and active attack abilities. On Druid focus on summons, buffs, and close abilities. Also Wildstrike.

In combat summon, buff, and charge to gether with your pet. If you need cast abandon wildform do casting and turn beast again.

Flavour should be right, power moderate, since you cant buff pet as much as character, and you are spreading think on buffs, pet and dps.

Fighter/Paladin both could be tanky. Ranger and any of two could indeed go Ghost Heart and mostly ignore pet, but focus on shoting. Bleak Waker Paladin has higher dps. Fighter could be plain, devoted (favorite gun) or black jacket if you dont mind firearms jugle.

You could always go pure Druid and just use summons as your pet. You could take stag or bear or boar form for extra tankiness. Even have weapon/shield as one weapon set. If you are beggining then pure Druid could be safe bet.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of multi-classing in any "Infinity Engine" type game, however; against all regard, I broke down and multi-classed Aloth to Rogue/Wizard. I was nervous that there was not going to be a proper rogue companion in this game and going down to a 5 party team (NOT a fan of 5 party), I figured someone would have to be able to do rogue stuff, so Aloth was the choice.

I feel that it was a poor decision, as I'm using him as a wizard in battles (I'm afraid to engage him in melee) and he feels under powered spell-wise. He is working out good for lockpicking, which is why I wanted a rogue in the first place. I don't know. After playing him multi-class for about 8-10 hours, I'm still not sold on the idea. I don't think I ever will be.

Why would you do that when Mechanics is a skill that everyone can put points in? It was the same way in PoE 1.

At the time, the only person that had mechanics skill was myself. I didn't want to invest those points into me. I think part of my problem is I'm a traditional Infinity Engine gamer who is SO used to rogues having to do all that stuff.

Spent close to 10 hours fiddling with multi-classes. In the end narrowed it down to Paladin/Cipher, Barbarian/Cipher, pure Wizard, Evoker, or Illusionist and any two of Barbarian/Monk/Paladin/Fighter.

Went with Beguiler/Rogue pistol dual-wield. Still not sure about my choice.

Would never multi-class a wizard, that's for sure. Would never single-class a chanter. Still bearing a stigma for Hunters and Druids from PoE where I never had the need to have them in party, never even batted an eye in their general direction in PoE II.

Would probably never go with single class priest either? I don't see how their power level makes their spells more useful apart from the damaging ones. On PotD there's only room for buffs and protections.

Berserker/Monk really tickled me the right way. Raw damage from Frenzy adds wounds to monk, you get extra 25%+20% attack speed from flurry and frenzy...Aaand your Carnage hits all. :/

Edited by Queeg

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

you need mechanic to pick lock and you can do that without being a rogue . I gave that job to eder . and left aloth as a wizard . 

Edit: Also..you can reset his skill (not class) and make the best out of the choice you made . Maybe pick abilities from the rogue tree that make him nimble and avoid damage and such , since wizard is very squichy . 

But I think resetting skills is bugged currently. As much as I hate some of my choices, I told myself going in I would live with whatever choices I made in play through number one....sometimes those choices are poor. Very poor lol.

If took Ranger Ghost Heart that is not good for Druid/Priest since you could heal your companion even more with this classes.

Thing to try: Stalker/Shifter. On Ranger ignore shoting, focus on pet and active attack abilities. On Druid focus on summons, buffs, and close abilities. Also Wildstrike.

In combat summon, buff, and charge to gether with your pet. If you need cast abandon wildform do casting and turn beast again.

Flavour should be right, power moderate, since you cant buff pet as much as character, and you are spreading think on buffs, pet and dps.

Fighter/Paladin both could be tanky. Ranger and any of two could indeed go Ghost Heart and mostly ignore pet, but focus on shoting. Bleak Waker Paladin has higher dps. Fighter could be plain, devoted (favorite gun) or black jacket if you dont mind firearms jugle.

You could always go pure Druid and just use summons as your pet. You could take stag or bear or boar form for extra tankiness. Even have weapon/shield as one weapon set. If you are beggining then pure Druid could be safe bet.

but as druid..you get to only summon 1 right ? wish we had a summoner class  :biggrin:

well druid/ranger may not be the best decision I made lol but..it fit with my role playing idea at least . 

Thanks for the help btw .

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

you need mechanic to pick lock and you can do that without being a rogue . I gave that job to eder . and left aloth as a wizard . 

Edit: Also..you can reset his skill (not class) and make the best out of the choice you made . Maybe pick abilities from the rogue tree that make him nimble and avoid damage and such , since wizard is very squichy . 

But I think resetting skills is bugged currently. As much as I hate some of my choices, I told myself going in I would live with whatever choices I made in play through number one....sometimes those choices are poor. Very poor lol.

well happen to the best of us , when you level up next..maybe you can take points in abilitie that will help him more . Until they fix the reset button that is . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

but as druid..you get to only summon 1 right ? wish we had a summoner class  :biggrin:

well druid/ranger may not be the best decision I made lol but..it fit with my role playing idea at least . 

I honestly wish there was a dedicated Necromancer class

I just like being Necromancers in RPGs. And since we have Concelhaut shouting obscenities in our backpack, we can always annoy him to reveal secrets to lichdom!

I honestly wish there was a dedicated Necromancer class

I just like being Necromancers in RPGs. And since we have Concelhaut shouting obscenities in our backpack, we can always annoy him to reveal secrets to lichdom!

like the one back in GW1...ohh mahhh gad.....so many minions you could make  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

If you want summoner class:

Best deal is Chanter Beckoner. Could be pure bread. Could be slashed:

With Animalistic Druid, for Blight and some buffs or heals.

With Priest of Wael, for extra tankiness and party utility

With Wizard Generalist, but mostly using conuration spells. Use your summons to position enemies and drop chill fog, or other duration aoe spells on them.

With Paladin, for more tankiness, and some auras for everyone.

Or Beckoner+Wizard, but focus on necromancy spells. Not really powerfull, but flavourish.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 2

I tried a battlemage (wizard/fighter) at first but wasn’t really feeling it, so I restarted with a spellblade (wizard/rogue) and I’m loving it so far - level 16 at the moment. However, I’m keeping all my companions single-classed so I can get unambiguous support - Edér as tank, Xoti as healer, etc. In the beta, I tried out a fully multi-classed party several times, and really liked it, but the content was limited so I knew what to expect. For the full game, I feel as though it’s safer to have straight-up support roles at least on my [almost] first run.

That said, as I near the top power levels, I find myself looking wistfully at those two levels of spells I’ll never get to use with my spellblade. She’s incredibly effective, especially wielding Marux Amanth at its full potential, but I’d like to see what she could do fully powered. For that I’ll have to use Aloth, I guess.

In PoE 1, I really enjoyed custom (hired) companions after the first couple of play-throughs. I’ll probably try a fully multi-classed party eventually. Or possibly *I’ll* go single class -probably wizard, maybe paladin - and have multi-classed companions.

In any case, I love the flexibility.

Some advice, since you can't undo your decision:

Retrain Aloth, let him take Mechanics and Stealth as his primary skills. 

Give him mostly Enchantment spells as these are very quick casting spells that provide buffs to him, making him much more dangerous in melee range and give him Illusion spells that debuff groups of enemies. His Rogue skill set should primarily be things like Escape and Smoke  Bomb, things that allow him to dart in and out of combat and employ stealth whenever possible. 

When battle begins let him open up with an Illusion spell or two to get the debuffs on his targets, cast a couple of Enchantment buffs, enter Stealth and then pulverize his targets with weapon based attacks to capitalize on sneak attack. 

Use him more as a shadow spellblade than a Wizard and you'll find that your multi-class decision won't feel quite as punishing. 

• Like 2

Some advice, since you can't undo your decision:

Retrain Aloth, let him take Mechanics and Stealth as his primary skills. 

Use him more as a shadow spellblade than a Wizard and you'll find that your multi-class decision won't feel quite as punishing.

Fantastic advice. I’m doing something similar with my main-char spellblade, and it’s working quite well. I use a bit more magic than you recommend, but I think you’re spot on with recommendations for a companion spellblade.

• Like 2

People don't plan stuff ahead of time. What I did was start the game, save at the beach, open up console and level to 20. Then, when you distribute your points across, you can get a sense of what you get. If you aren't happy with the end result - skill or ability wise, reset and try the distribution again or just try something else.

tsgUO.gif

Not gonna lie, my cipher assassin is bananas. Like, full on B A N A N A S (thanks Gwen.)

I've actually taken very few cipher spells but soul annihilation is mental and there's quite a few class specific cipher passive talents that buff my damage output.

I'm going to miss out on a few end game rogue abilities but tbh, the sheer amount of damage I do already is nuts.

I was worried rolling assassin that I'd be struggling for means of re-entering stealth but I manage several times per combat and if I ever do run out of rogue power points then out come my few cipher spells.

Use the Wizards deflection buffs (Wizard’s Double, Arcane Shield, Mirror Image etc) combined with Riposte from rogue and he is excellent in melee. With deflection so high he is hard to hit in melee, and when the enemy swings and misses Riposte gives you a free attack.

Multi classing is no different from single at the moment. It's going to depend on your classes. Some are just better than others at the moment. They will get balancing right but it will take time. I really liked the POE system and wish they hadn't made so many changes, mainly because it would have taken to many resources, and effected everything from balance to story negatively. While that has happened, in the long run now they have made the changes the ip will be better for it. It is a long term plan though. At the mo, classes are understandably unbalanced.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

My PC is a Scout (Ranger / Rogue) and I multiclassed Serafen to be a Witch (Barbarian / Cipher) when I pciked him up. No regrets. I really like the way Deadfire handles multiclassing -- probably one of the most enjoyable versions of the system I've seen :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Multiclassing is super versatile, but I'm finding my current single class only run much much more powerfull than my later exclusive multiclass one. Getting to higher level spells/abilities faster is such a boon, on top of higher caster level? Oh my world! Btw, I play exclusively at PotD difficulty.

Not only do you not get your max level stuff for both classes, but you level SLOWER too.

Ok sure whatever.

But then u also only get 1 skill point a level? the hell is that? the whole fun is u can select one thing from each class a level?

2 skillpoints a level plz.

you get 2 ability points for some of the levels. But  2 ability points each level would be super OP. As it stands I think a level 20 multi class only has 1 ability point less than a pure class

You do not actually level slower, you just get access to higher level skills slower, which is often not really an issue.

I've multiclassed many of the NPCs and my own PC and so far I've never found myself lacking in ability points.

• Like 2

@OP

Yeah ive played around with multi-class builds and I think they are a waste of time to be honest. 

Another thing people forget is there is absolutely no point in multi-classing because your companions can buff you anyway far better then you can ever dream of buffing yourself.

Why multiclass and level up slower just to get a few ok synergies that other classes and buff you with anyway.

stupid if you ask me

When all the expansions come out and the level cap gets raised they will become more viable because they will be able to get higher level abilities. 

Multiclassing is also good for solo builds i reckon

Edited by master guardian