Anyone else kind of regretting multiclassing?

OK.

So the idea was to build a rogue mulitclassed with another class so i could be this weapon of mass destruction.

I was going to achieve  this by selecting both active and passive abilities mainly to bolster my offense and defense.

For example for the rogue i was going to select all the rogues obvious passives, eg sneak attack, backstab, deathblows, and the extra hit to crit passives plus the a few other goodies and then say use wizard spells to keep him alive and boost the output of the damage (Rogue/ Wizard spell-blade) 

Problem is this is a game where you can recruit other party members or companions and the issue is these other companions are better at buffing you then you are at buffing yourself.

For example the ciphers pain block is an incredible buff to help keep my rogue alive, and the priests devotions of the faithful (+20 accuracey) is a better buff that i could ever dream of applying to myself.

So what is the point of multiclassing??

I think they have over balanced multiclassing to point where its not worth it

So your own Multiclass choice not working out because of your chosen abilities and party composition means multiclassing isn't worth it in general? Like... what? Tbh, it sounds more like you didn't really think ahead when creating your character.

My Holy Slayer is an absolute beast, especially with Priest & Cipher/Chanter/Druid support.

Edited by aeoncs
  • Like 2

First character i played was a Pure Priest and i was having massive issues getting through most of the encounters in the game (probably because Eder had died on the ship during the first fight of the game and i just assumed he'll turn up later and not be actually dead for real).

Then i rerolled into a Barbarian/Skald and basically smashed everything everywhere and then paralyze everyone and then smash everything else, while constantly dealing raw damage to everyone around me. But i didn't feel like it.

Then i rerolled into a pure Rogue Trickster and it was even easier! I basically could solo almost any encounter  by just sneaking up, doing massive damage to someone, turning invisible and running off. Then rinse and repeat until everyone is dead. And with the Trickster's mirrored image, parrying dagger modal, the Rogue was tough as nails (second wind is insanely OP instant heal too) and if the fight was going badly, i could just escape into invisibility and retry.

Edited by Juodas Varnas

multi-classing is alot of fun . Sure some others game have them as well..but never this way !  :yes:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

All single class for me:-D. I will experiment with multiclassing on my second playthrough, once I know skill trees better. Actually, I made Ydwin a multiclass, but you know... she is a sidekick and leveling up multiple levels is a chore, so she is still lvl 1.

I plan on only single classing at the beginning, MC seems like crippling a class - maybe min/maxers see it different but I don't min/max. I want to use the highest level abilities.

Having said that I may play a druid(animist (bear form)/shifter) together with a ghostheart ranger (bear spirit animal). I could then summon the bear after becoming one myself!

• Like 1

I plan on only single classing at the beginning, MC seems like crippling a class - maybe min/maxers see it different but I don't min/max. I want to use the highest level abilities.

Having said that I may play a druid(animist (bear form)/shifter) together with a ghostheart ranger (bear spirit animal). I could then summon the bear after becoming one myself!

funny! That's what I'm playing now! although..I went with Lioness for both ! 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I doubt anyone could ever legitimately accuse me of being a min/maxer but I can tell you that there's no "wrong" choice between multi-classing or single-classing, it's a preference thing. Both have advantages and disadvantages and while I'm sure someone can crunch all the numbers and stated definitively that one is better than the other, you shouldn't have any trouble beating the game no matter which way you choose to go. 

The only real caveat is that there's more room for error in a multi-class character. (As in, it's easier to make a bad choice that hurts the character)

Edited by Witness41920
  • Like 2

i had decided i'd recreate my first poe character, she was a ranger... though, then i thought about it a bit more as i was going through the prologue section... i figured surviving her awakening with her sanity intact would have given her the skills she had during that lifetime. so, i had that particular inquisitor pegged as most likely a cipher (as that's what she felt like to me). so what i actually found myself doing was... i actually rolled her as a Ranger-Stalker/Cipher-Beguiler or seer as that cross-class is known as. i'm quite happy her i must say. 

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

Personally I'm generally of the attitude that if you start thinking multiclassing is a good idea, you'd be better off redesigning a system to be classless.  I can't really speak to how its implemented in POEII, though.

Generally speaking I favor single class or classless or Job System style where you move from class to class carrying some skills with you if you really want a hybrid class system of some kind.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

One thing OE could do is to allow retraining companions to the level of picking class combo.

At least once i picked one MC but it havent worked out so well. Happens.

(Xoti PriestMonk, Maia RangerWizard, maybe they are good just havent worked for me).

As building character, you need to decide what you plan, and look for synergies, or accept that synergy is weaker.

For starter avoid very unsynergetic builds like Cipher/Priest.

If you want dps rogue you look for classes which open sneak attacks or give good passives for dps. SO Fighter or Cipher are first calls.

If you martial dps then look for classes with good passives and actives for dps.

Tanks are nice, since you can pick class for tanking, and class for buffing/healing. Paladin/FIghter with Chanter/Priest/Druid

Nuke wizards are generally better single class.

Cipher wants MC with good weapon dmg so barbarian, fighter, rogue, bleakwaker, monk.

Try not to mix roles, at least keep  the same stats. DPS is Per Mig Dex. But buffing is Int..

You could selfbuff, but at this time you could swing a sword, when buffbot will do the job.

Overall i like the system. Gives more freedom than poe1 and opens this whole discussion "which MC is worth it".

What i regret is that some classes have like 3 abilities at lv 1 (and you pick 2) and neutral abilities are high up.

More neutral abilities could be level 1 or 2.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

well single class is kinda the classic setting . Multi-class , I always saw it as 'Know what you are doing' route . I don't think either are bad . What's bad , in my opinion is when class mean nada . 

Take NWN2 for exemple , I never took multi-class . Because I'm fond of single class classic and I don't wish for it to die . It just feel right . And in NWN2 for exemple..multi-classing is kinda of a pain . 

But here , it's actually alot of fun . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

One thing OE could do is to allow retraining companions to the level of picking class combo.

At least once i picked one MC but it havent worked out so well. Happens.

As building character, you need to decide what you plan, and look for synergies, or accept that synergy is weaker.

If you want dps rogue you look for classes which open sneak attacks or give good passives for dps. SO Fighter or Cipher are first calls.

If you are rogue, you prefer class with good single target or sneak attack opener.

If you martial dps then look for classes with good passives and actives for dps.

Tanks are nice, since you can pick class for tanking, and class for buffing/healing. Paladin/FIghter with Chanter/Priest/Druid

Nuke wizards are generally better single class.

Cipher wants MC with good weapon dmg so barbarian.

Try not to mix roles, at least to the same stats. DPS is Per Mig Dex. But buffing is Int..

You could selfbuff, but at this time you could swing a sword, when buffbot will do the job.

For starter avoid very unsynergetic builds like Cipher/Priest.

Overall i like the system. Gives more freedom than poe1 and opens this whole discussion "which MC is worth it".

What i regret is that some classes have like 3 abilities at lv 1 (and you pick 2) and neutral abilities are high up.

More neutral abilities could be level 1 or 2.

how about priest and ranger ? or ranger and druid ? which I'm playing right now...got mah butt handed to me though a couple of time.. :getlost:

Elderly Hive Dweller

i didn't really pick my multi class for synergy... being a roleplayer first and foremost, i picked my second class because it suited my character, not her stats. though, in my case it worked out.

Edited by Casper
  • Like 2

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

I've never been a fan of multi-classing in any "Infinity Engine" type game, however; against all regard, I broke down and multi-classed Aloth to Rogue/Wizard. I was nervous that there was not going to be a proper rogue companion in this game and going down to a 5 party team (NOT a fan of 5 party), I figured someone would have to be able to do rogue stuff, so Aloth was the choice.

I feel that it was a poor decision, as I'm using him as a wizard in battles (I'm afraid to engage him in melee) and he feels under powered spell-wise. He is working out good for lockpicking, which is why I wanted a rogue in the first place. I don't know. After playing him multi-class for about 8-10 hours, I'm still not sold on the idea. I don't think I ever will be.

Edited by Jayngo

I've never been a fan of multi-classing in any "Infinity Engine" type game, however; against all regard, I broke down and multi-classed Aloth to Rogue/Wizard. I was nervous that there was not going to be a proper rogue companion in this game and going down to a 5 party team (NOT a fan of 5 party), I figured someone would have to be able to do rogue stuff, so Aloth was the choice.

I feel that it was a poor decision, as I'm using him as a wizard in battles (I'm afraid to engage him in melee) and he feels under powered spell-wise. He is working out good for lockpicking, which is why I wanted a rogue in the first place. I don't know. After playing him multi-class for about 8-10 hours, I'm still not sold on the idea. I don't think I ever will be.

you need mechanic to pick lock and you can do that without being a rogue . I gave that job to eder . and left aloth as a wizard . 

Edit: Also..you can reset his skill (not class) and make the best out of the choice you made . Maybe pick abilities from the rogue tree that make him nimble and avoid damage and such , since wizard is very squichy . 

Edited by E.RedMark

Elderly Hive Dweller

honestly, that does sound like a bad idea... as rogue and wizard don't really mix that well, inho. unless you went with a lot of on-touch, and debuff spell types, then combined them with rogue-ish abilities. though then you'd have to put him into harm's way.

how about priest and ranger ? or ranger and druid ? which I'm playing right now...got mah butt handed to me though a couple of time.. :getlost:

Not very synergetic. You could use Stalker, and pikes/staffs and use pet as tank throwing spells from second line.

The problem is that you can do the same with Beckoner and Priest/Druid. And just summon bunch of summons when throwing buffs/heals for everyone.

There is this thing that some combos are just outclassed by something else.

Ranger/Chanter could be good, chanter auras have larger aoe than priest spells, so you woudl reach pet, and you still can shot, there is Ilya and Flame weapons chant. Which could buff your shoting.

Edited by evilcat

Why would you do that when Mechanics is a skill that everyone can put points in? It was the same way in PoE 1.