Companion's Animal Companion Gone

M1ST3RM1ND

Question

Hi! I decided to make several custom companions, based on the characters of Vox Machina, giving them appropriate items and setting up their attributes and skills through the console (so they have the same Dexterity and Insight and such as their Critical Role counterparts). For the ranger, Vex'ahlia, who has a bear companion, Trinket, I even edited Trinket's attributes in the console (I don't know of that has any bearing on this, pardon the pun, but I thought I'd mention it if it is actually what caused my problem). After making them, I used the console to level up the party to the next level (I was almost there, anyway, and wanted us all to be the same level). Once I was done all that, I saved and quit the game to do something else.

I don't know how to reproduce the bug, since I don't know what exactly I did wrong, aside from using the console to artificially level and alter attributes/skills for my companions.

Anyway, when I next loaded the save, Trinket (the ranger companion's animal companion) now appears to be missing. Normally there's a little icon for the animal companion over the ranger's picture in the party list, but that's gone, and I don't see the bear anywhere. Furthermore, using the console to search for "Trinket", "Bear", "Animal" yields no results (dialogue box reports "No characters found.") which makes me think the bear is permanently gone. Even if a bug somehow renamed Trinket, I don't think that would matter since I think his code is like CRE_Bear_Animal_Companion(Clone) or something like that (the code for another custom companion's animal companion is CRE_Stag_Animal_Companion(Clone), so I figured Trinket's would be the same but with Bear instead of Stag).

To illustrate this, I hired a new custom ranger companion with a stag animal companion. In the picture, you can clearly see stag icon in the portrait on the right (new custom ranger companion), but there's no bear icon in the portrait in the middle (bugged custom ranger companion) like there should be, and obviously the bear doesn't show up in my party at all.

4Cxod6UX_o.png

I was hoping that maybe going to a new area would bring him back, but it didn't. I've tried reloading the save, and quitting the game then loading the save again, neither worked. He's just... gone. I tried to attach my save file, but I got an error: "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" and it won't attach. The output log and system specs attached just fine, though.

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

2 answers to this question