Heya, didn't see too much on this, but I'm debating on a few things for my hearth orlan gun rogue.

The big questions are pistol vs. blunderbuss, and two weapon style vs. single weapon style.

I saw that the pistol modal gives me an accuracy penalty that's worse than what the blunderbuss has to begin with, but I presumably get more shots. The speed calculator has also pointed out that stealth massively increases my reload speed - which, given the diminishing returns for buffs, means that if that I make a rogue who has all the invisibility abilities then I wouldn't be worrying about reload speed anyways.

My choice of weapon styles also adds a interesting wrinkle: hit to crit is something that hugely benefits a blunderbuss, and wielding a single weapon to start with effectively counters the accuracy penalty for the pistol modal and the blunderbuss's built-in accuracy penalties. However, my abilities that use my full attack are gonna be far less powerful - yet the dual wielding talen/ability also doesn't provide a significant speed bonus as far as these weapons are concerned.

Could someone give me some solid input on where to go from here? I'm pretty flexible on everything but the fact that I want to use firearms for this character.

My main is a Black Jacket / Assassin multi-class gun only character, and is fairly overpowered.

- I have 4 Weapon sets - Meaning I have 8 guns as I am dual-wielding them, and I can switch between them with 0 recovery.

- 4 Blunderbusses and 4 pistols.

- I can switch and shoot the first volley of all 8 guns in about 5 seconds, all attacks are Full Attacks with warrior's Penetrating Strike, causing an overall 200-300 damage at the beginning of a fight.

- Both Pistols and Blunderbusses are good, Pistols have good penetration , blunderbusses have great aoe and better damage from my experience. In my opinion the most powerful gun in the game was one specific pistol, it had an op lightning aoe skill.

- Dual wield is far more powerful than single using your guns, as Dual-Wield will shoot both guns with a Full Attack skill, while single will only shoot 1. The game is quite easy right now and nothing requires you too have really high penetration or anything, except for the contructs.

• Like 1

In general, the blunderbuss will be "better" for rogues because each individual projectile will makes its own attack roll, crit on its own, sneak attack and pen on its own. You get your crit chance, crit damage and sneak attack percentage high enough, and the blunderbuss will shred just about anything currently in the game

The downside of course, is the really horrible range they have. You'll have to get super close. Be ready to duck out

• Like 1

Devoted Psiblade Sword and Board

I know about the quick switch builds, a good staple from PoE1 and all

not really my thing, I get too attached to my weapons to just toss them aside like that, lol

looking for more input on the mechanics than actual builds, because I like to try and whip up my own ideas

any more... crunchy advice would be preferable

I know about the quick switch builds, a good staple from PoE1 and all

not really my thing, I get too attached to my weapons to just toss them aside like that, lol

looking for more input on the mechanics than actual builds, because I like to try and whip up my own ideas

any more... crunchy advice would be preferable

Generally I find that dual-wielding will net you a better return than the pistol modal, while the single-handed accuracy bonus offsets the modal penalty, you still end up reloading around the same time as you would with a dual-wield build and dual-wielding makes better use of your "full attack" abilities. The only real advantage of the one-handed weapon only option is the passive 20% Hit to Crit conversion which the Rogue can off-set with the Dirty-Fighting passive. 

If you're going to be relying on stealth to fix your reload delay then the dual-wield passive is more-or-less moot but you get an automatic reload speed buff for dual-wielding even without the passive, this helps in stealth as well. 

If you're looking to kill things immediately after coming out of stealth then I recommend sticking to Blunderbuss usage, if you're more interested in range and a more steady damage output then use pistols. 

Stupid question : how does Gambit work with blunderbuss ?

It might require more testing to confirm, but from my observations:

Only the first pellet can refound guile on crit

If the first pellet misses, grazes or crits, then the other are calculated normally. If the first pellet hits, then the gambit chance applies. If it is converted to crit, then all pellets are converted to crit.

That would be for normal blunderbusses. For aoe blunderbusses, there is only one attack roll like a pistol, so gambit applies to it normally.

FYI pistols and blunders are currently capped at a fireing-frequency of ~3,6 sec because of a bug. Even tho the weapon tool-tip says otherwise. The Low/Mid-level Jackets weapon-switch trick still works like a gatling-gun, but after that volley your gunslinger will be more of a gun-toter until the bug is resolved.

Edited by EmilAmundsen