So I got to this area, deciphered the notes for the Cauldron, but I guess I can't actually make any potions with it?  From what I can gather based on the notes, I should have the ingredients.  Has anyone else run into this or know what I might be missing?

You are able to make one potion that increases stats when you make it(since you drink it immediately), you need ingredients though yeah. If that doesn't work, try to talking to guy in cage in case game assumes you need to talk to him first

You are able to make one potion that increases stats when you make it(since you drink it immediately), you need ingredients though yeah. If that doesn't work, try to talking to guy in cage in case game assumes you need to talk to him first

I did talk to him.  Nothing changed.  Do you happen to know which ingredients exactly? 

They seem to be intentionally vague with some of the ingredients. I have no idea what "water of pure quintessence" is supposed to be...

Also, there's a pool of liquid in SW of that map that makes you sick when you drink it. Anyone figure out what it does/is?

I ran into a problem like this and it turned out I had read the ingredients on the document but didn't actually pick it up/have it in my inventory. Make sure you didn't leave it on the shelf, THEN talk to the guy in the cage after letting him out and choose the dialogue option asking where your reward is.

If you've done all that then it's a bug (and that really sucks)