The PeaceKeeper Wars

merry andrew

I don't like Farscape.

That's a bannable offense. ;)

Just watched the trailer... Looks frelling fantastic! One one hand, it's a shame they focused on the action stuff rather than the character-driven aspect of the show (which is it's true strength), but on the other, I don't want to be spoiled.

Can't wait to see this, and the real maddening thing is that there's currently no broadcast schedule for it in Canada!

newlogo.gif

Heh. Now now, it isn't Babylon 5.

I can conceptually understand the reasons why people like the show, but it just doesn't turn my pistons. That's probably because I've not caught a whole story arc.

Also: Probably the action thing you mentioned too.

Heh. Now now, it isn't Babylon 5.

I can conceptually understand the reasons why people like the show, but it just doesn't turn my pistons. That's probably because I've not caught a whole story arc.

Also: Probably the action thing you mentioned too.

I haven't seen B5. For it's entire run I didn't have television and I've never seen repeats.

Farscape, like B5 (from what I've read about the show) also follows a story arc, though that arc is more character-driven than plot driven (however the plot does figure prominantly, as character growth is influenced by plot developments).

The show doesn't have a lot of action sequences (it has them, certainly, but they're not predominant), which is why the PK Wars trailer surprised me. Though I'm sure the trailer is designed to get maximum viewer interest, so that's cool with me. More viewers means a better chance for the show's resurrection.

newlogo.gif

I've never heard of this show, but it sounds really good. I think I once saw one episode of this show a long time ago, and it was interesting to watch, but I never found out what the name of the show was.

If I buy a season, what season should a newcomer watch? Should I start at the beginning or is that not required to understand the plot/characters?

"I'm waiting for someone to say something really stupid, and then I can quote them." -Anonymous

I'll have to buy a season of Farscape and give it a proper shake.

You kind of have to see it from the beginning, but Season One isn't a great way to measure the show's quality. As much as I liked S1, each season gets progressively better.

If I buy a season, what season should a newcomer watch? Should I start at the beginning or is that not required to understand the plot/characters?

Newcomers should start at S1 as you really need to understand the character backgrounds. The plot arc doesn't really kick in until the second season, though.

Buying a season set is expensive, though. You may want to see if you can rent the DVDs instead. The company that issues the Farscape DVDs charge a fortune for their titles.

And BetaSquad, the show is really good. The characters are excellent and the writing is brilliant.

newlogo.gif

I've only seen a few episodes of Farscape several years ago and it didn't impress me at all when I compared it to B5 (of which I've watched the whole thing). I suppose it just might not be my type, or the fact that I haven't seen enough of Farscape to appreciate it properly. Hmm, seeing as the show lives on, I suppose there must a demand out there. I guess I'll give it another chance. :wacko:

The general consensus amongst Farscape viewers is that, like B5, you have to see each episode in order to really know what's going on. I do recall catching a B5 episode or two, but never liked it, and I fully realise that out of context it's not going to be good. It was also during the first season, which I hear wasn't too good.

newlogo.gif

I like the trailer

I just hope they can finish the story this time (ie an ending where the main characters aren't dead).

It was such a shame that the great Farscape died after only 4 brilliant years, when Stargate sg-1 continues into its 8th year and how now turned crap. SG-1 should have died after 5 years, the quality has dropped so much.

I just hope they can finish the story this time (ie an ending where the main characters aren't dead).

Well, it wasn't supposed to end there, just be a cliffhanger before going into season 5.

It was such a shame that the great Farscape died after only 4 brilliant years, when Stargate sg-1 continues into its 8th year and how now turned crap. SG-1 should have died after 5 years, the quality has dropped so much.

You speak true. Unfortunately, it's crap that stays on TV and the good stuff gets cancelled. What irritates me is that Sci-Fi pulled the plug on Farscape because it cost too much, and now they're so behind and supportive of PK Wars. Hopefully the mini gets strong enough ratings to make Sci-Fi reconsider and put the show back into production.

What's sad is that here in Canada, the Space channel (our version of Sci-Fi) isn't sure if they can justify the expense of buying the broadcast rights since the ratings for the show are so low.

newlogo.gif

Yeah sci-fi are back stabbers! :angry:

They had nothing to do with Farscape's resurrection, but now it's back they are claiming all the credit for it!

This is a quote from the sci-fi chairman about why they are showing the mini-series

"Well it was offered to us at a price we could afford."

Greedy corporate ******** :angry:

They won't spend large amounts of money on a quality show loved an average audience, but spend smaller amounts of money on crap shows with massive audiences.

They only care about the $!

Unfortunately, this isn't a new season, merely a mini-series geared to give us closure after the Skiffy Rape. Henson has financed nearly the entire thing.

So far as I know, Showtime and HBO are interested in acquiring the rights for another season, but will not do so unless Skiffy releases the past eps as well, which they've already stated they will not do. Neither are they going to attempt to get the show into syndication for general broadcast.

The trailer looks, as Phosphor said, FRELLING AWESOME! I so cannot wait.

*makes note of he who said he did not like Farscape for careful watching in the future*

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

Unfortunately, this isn't a new season, merely a mini-series geared to give us closure after the Skiffy Rape.  Henson has financed nearly the entire thing.

Yeah, a meager 4 hours. 4 hours is nothing in watching Farscape!

So far as I know, Showtime and HBO are interested in acquiring the rights for another season, but will not do so unless Skiffy releases the past eps as well, which they've already stated they will not do.  Neither are they going to attempt to get the show into syndication for general broadcast.

:( Why wouldn't Sci-Fi be wanting to put the show into syndication? Does syndication not mean income for Sci-Fi as they'd be selling x-number of viewings per episode?

newlogo.gif

Putting it into syndication would only give them the exclusive rights to it for a limited time, after which it would be on a bid basis, unless they paid up to keep it to themselves.

Skiffy is well known for doing this with many cult series, buying up all the syndication rights and then sinking the show itself into impossible time slots to eventually shelve it completely. It happened with Seaquest and Highlander: The Series.

In other words, Skiffy is run by flatulating buttheads.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I couldn't find a copy of the complete first season anywhere nearby, but I did pick up a copy of "Farscape: Best of the First Season" I've watched 3 of the 6 episodes. My analysis:

:huh::unsure::):wub:

Holy crap. I love this show. How did I miss this show when it came out?! You find out about the strangest things from the oddest places. Phosphor, thanks for the tip.

I only wish that the Farscape DVDs weren't so overpriced. Now I'm going to look around for some of the complete collections for rent. This show is just that good.

"I'm waiting for someone to say something really stupid, and then I can quote them." -Anonymous

I couldn't find a copy of the complete first season anywhere nearby, but I did pick up a copy of "Farscape: Best of the First Season"  I've watched 3 of the 6 episodes.  My analysis:

:huh:  :unsure:  :)  :wub:

Holy crap.  I love this show.  How did I miss this show when it came out?!  You find out about the strangest things from the oddest places.  Phosphor, thanks for the tip.

I only wish that the Farscape DVDs weren't so overpriced.  Now I'm going to look around for some of the complete collections for rent.  This show is just that good.

Haha! Another convert! I'm glad you like the show, BetaSquad. It only gets better with every season, too.

The overpriced DVDs are crazy though. I hope you can find somewhere that rents them.

That said, I'm going to take the plunge and buy the entire series. Though even getting them at cost is frelling expensive.

newlogo.gif

While I've never seen Farscape (I don't watch TV) I've read that the Peacekeeper Wars is designed to wrap-up all the loose-ends from the TV show and add closure. I don't think it's designed to open the door for a return of the series, but rather fix the fact that the show was ended early.

Henson Productions has said that if PK Wars does well, it could lead to some sort of furthering of the show, either as a series of mini-series, a movie, or a new TV series.

I doubt any of that will happen, but it'd be nice. But I do believe they are aiming for closure with PK Wars, just out of a sense of reality.

newlogo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Come come now B5 vs Farscape, you have it all wrong you can not compare the 2 if you had said B5 Vs Star Trek I would have happily debated. The biggest comparison of the 2 is how the main characters are so pivital to the shows there are no throw away characters.

Farscapes basic premise is what would a normal(all be it an astronaught) do if thrust into an alien conflict with no way to get home and few allies.

B5 is more what would a united earth do in a universe full of aliens with their own agendas.

Anyways I can not wait it looks to be quite good. :p

B5 and Farscape cannot really be compared in any way except an individuals own opinions.

That said I prefer B5, but I still enjoy farscape a great deal, I am happy it is coming back.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.