Collective summary of all the glaring bugs in the relationship system

Aramintai

Question

So, devs, are you gonna fix or at least acknowledge any of the numerous bugs that plague the relationship system right now?

Here are the highlights I've collected from the forum:

-Tekehu and Maia start their sexual advances dialogue with the Watcher way too soon, like literally almost right of the bat;

-companions can initiate an automatic dialogue with the Watcher when they're outside the party. More details here;

-Xoti throws a tantrum about how she hates Pallegina right after you recruit Pallegina into the party for the first time;

-Aloth has conflicting dispositions (Autonomy & Stewardship) and it is very hard or nigh impossible to raise his approval to 2. More details here;

-Xoti's approval, on the other hand, won't go below 0. More details here;

-companions approval/disapproval of the Watcher seem to stop after some time spent in the party;

-Xoti and Tekehu's endings slides are bugged because they show an extra slide implying the Watcher was their lover who then dumped them, even though the Watcher simply rebuked them during their sexual advances dialogue;

-all companions have numerous instances of dialogue prompt icon showing up with no actual new dialogue;

-can't trigger dialogue banter between Maia and Xoti after BoW release.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 28

Dispositions are so laughably broken. Its kinda amusing seeing Aloth be a huge ass though. Traveled with him through Dyrwood and the Deadfire, helped him with his awakened soul and his hunt for the Keys. Disposition: Zero. What a jerk.

• Like 3

Companion relationship points seem to get stuck after a certain amount of time spent in the party. They work at first, but then stop reflecting the companion's reactions. This bug seems to be affecting all of my companions.

I thought maybe it just took a lot to change the relationship numbers, but then I got the Burning Bridges achievement (maximum negative with a companion) with Xoti after desecrating a temple and the relationship page still said -1. I got the Steadfast Ally achievement (maximum positive with a companion) with Eder, but his relationship status is stuck at +1.

I have also noticed Xoti freaking out at Pellagina right away. But after some time traveling with both of them Pellagina did the same to her. The interesting thing was that this conversation happened twice right after one another. As soon as the conversation ended, Pellagina started again right away. Same dialogue, same options, as if the first time never even happened.

I just had this happen to me with Serafen. Got Steadfast Ally with him and the relationship status wheel is only a bit above +1. Had a discussion with him after which he gave me a thing.

Did faction reputations get broken with the 1.02 patch? Or perhaps the gain is too low now. Had reputation 2 with Huana, finished a quest and got Major boost with them. Still 2 afterwards.

1 Major and 2 Moderate gains with Huana, and still no change from the +2 I already had. Looks like this is messed up now :(

Did faction reputations get broken with the 1.02 patch? Or perhaps the gain is too low now. Had reputation 2 with Huana, finished a quest and got Major boost with them. Still 2 afterwards.

1 Major and 2 Moderate gains with Huana, and still no change from the +2 I already had. Looks like this is messed up now :(

They slowed down disposition gain... maybe they slowed it down too much?

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I sided with pirates to get to Ukaizo.
Pellagina in last dialogue on island was happy I helped Valians (I killed Valian leader 5 mins after that, when he arrrived to Ukaizo to confront me)
Pellaginas end-game slide was missing completely at the end of the game, have no Idea what happened to her.

They slowed down disposition gain... maybe they slowed it down too much?

Looks that way. Maybe they need to deal with the various reputations with more specific code, instead of a catch-all, which it seems like they are doing right now.

The reputation has changed for me now btw, so it can still happen, but it's pretty erratic. Judging by the "wheel" and the numbers it looks like it can go fairly high too, so it's beyond odd that there should be no change from a Major gain, especially when coupled with 2 Moderates.

Apologies, I opened another thread about the same thing when I was unaware of this one.

I'll link it here and post any further reports into this one.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100388-companion-reactions-when-they-make-no-sense/

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What's anti-eothasian about this?

rk0D8Zg.png

By the same token, what's pro-eothasian about this?

nCyWW8S.png

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

is it just me or is the dialogue even more broken after that last patch? as i'm seeing far more convo indicators that don't trigger any new dialogue, and usually followed by other dialogue oddities.

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

Last beta patch fixed Aloth's conflicting dispositions by simply removing one, now he has too few of them in general and way too few positive ones. More details here:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101487-patch-110-updates-thread/?p=2044867

Still not fixed properly, I think.

This is still not addressed in the last patch.

• Like 4

Haven't tested all of the original post points yet, but this is still not fixed:

-all companions have numerous instances of dialogue prompt icon showing up with no actual new dialogue.
  • Like 2

Do we know if the system is actually bugged and doesn't trigger new dialogues from the companion?

I have a save file in which Xoti wants to talk and if I explore all the dialogue options the icon goes away, maybe there's the possiblity that companion initiated dialogues work as intended but the actual icon is bugged and shows up when it shouldn't, like unexplored dialogue options in the tree.

I was so happy about that patch and I was finally going to start a real playthrough (haven't gone far until now)  when I have found out that this bug is still here.

Edited by Daled

-Xoti and Tekehu's endings slides are bugged because they show an extra slide implying the Watcher was their lover who then dumped them, even though the Watcher simply rebuked them during their sexual advances dialogue;

Was this ever claimed to have been fixed? I just finished the game and it claimed I slept with and then dumped Xoti which is not the case. I didn't see this thread until now after doing my own searching for fixes. My thread is here but it sounds very much like it is described here. Was this ever fixed for you or anyone else in this thread? 

Is there any hacky solution? I am not above editing a text file haha.

Edited by hayt

Was this ever claimed to have been fixed? I just finished the game and it claimed I slept with and then dumped Xoti which is not the case. I didn't see this thread until now after doing my own searching for fixes. My thread is here but it sounds very much like it is described here. Was this ever fixed for you or anyone else in this thread? 

No, it's still not fixed. Just as some other ending slides as well. For example, the one about Maia's personal quest - Port Maje's governor Clario is killed no matter whether you help the killer spy woman or put her in danger and she flees.

What's more after the BoW release I started a new game now I can't trigger some companions dialogue at all, Maia and Xoti, for example. Been travelling between areas in Neketaka and Dunnage for a while, but they seem to have bugged out somewhere along the way.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

No, it's still not fixed. Just as some other ending slides as well. For example, the one about Maia's personal quest - Port Maje's governor Clario is killed no matter whether you help the killer spy woman or put her in danger and she flees.

What's more after the BoW release I started a new game now I can't trigger some companions dialogue at all, Maia and Xoti, for example. Been travelling between areas in Neketaka and Dunnage for a while, but they seem to have bugged out somewhere along the way.

A lot of weird stuff going on it seems. Is there any way to look into a file and see what tags are hit for your character? I'd be curious if I could go into the guts of the game and set Boned Xoti to 0.

Hi sorry to bump this post but I seem to still be getting this problem (I just bought the game), wondering if there is a way to fix this issue?
Xoti has 0 towards any of my other companions yet she is "chasing" Eder (we've had several conversations); Eder is at 2 towards her. 
Aloth doesn't seem to be gaining with me he's my only companion with 0. 
I am still quite fresh into the game (level 7 and in Neketaka)

• Like 1

Hi sorry to bump this post but I seem to still be getting this problem (I just bought the game), wondering if there is a way to fix this issue?

Xoti has 0 towards any of my other companions yet she is "chasing" Eder (we've had several conversations); Eder is at 2 towards her.

Aloth doesn't seem to be gaining with me he's my only companion with 0.

I am still quite fresh into the game (level 7 and in Neketaka)