Collective summary of all the glaring bugs in the relationship system

Aramintai

Question

So, devs, are you gonna fix or at least acknowledge any of the numerous bugs that plague the relationship system right now?

Here are the highlights I've collected from the forum:

-Tekehu and Maia start their sexual advances dialogue with the Watcher way too soon, like literally almost right of the bat;

-companions can initiate an automatic dialogue with the Watcher when they're outside the party. More details here;

-Xoti throws a tantrum about how she hates Pallegina right after you recruit Pallegina into the party for the first time;

-Aloth has conflicting dispositions (Autonomy & Stewardship) and it is very hard or nigh impossible to raise his approval to 2. More details here;

-Xoti's approval, on the other hand, won't go below 0. More details here;

-companions approval/disapproval of the Watcher seem to stop after some time spent in the party;

-Xoti and Tekehu's endings slides are bugged because they show an extra slide implying the Watcher was their lover who then dumped them, even though the Watcher simply rebuked them during their sexual advances dialogue;

-all companions have numerous instances of dialogue prompt icon showing up with no actual new dialogue;

-can't trigger dialogue banter between Maia and Xoti after BoW release.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 28

Hey all,

Thank you for your posts! Finding these areas where it makes no sense is something we are actively working on, so if you do encounter one of these, it really helps us to please make a new post with an image depicting the disposition gain where it is odd, and a save file if possible :). While megathreads are great, I have noticed that some fall through the cracks and I do not want that to be the case for anyone's issues. I'll get the ones we have here bugged so we can start combing through them.

Best,

-Caleb

• Like 3

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Disposition gains and losses seem nonsensical a lot of the times. Benign conversation choices lead to getting things, simply noticing something in the environment can lead to "shady" reputation gains. Even with disposition effects ticked on in the options a lot of dialogue has no label. 

One conversation with a pirate the way to leave the conversation was marked as Clever if I recall and it was simply "I'll see you later." a typical goodbye prompt to end a conversation. Gains and losses aren't properly tracked it seems... it feels like a real mess pretty much.

• Like 5

Companion relationship points seem to get stuck after a certain amount of time spent in the party. They work at first, but then stop reflecting the companion's reactions. This bug seems to be affecting all of my companions.

I thought maybe it just took a lot to change the relationship numbers, but then I got the Burning Bridges achievement (maximum negative with a companion) with Xoti after desecrating a temple and the relationship page still said -1. I got the Steadfast Ally achievement (maximum positive with a companion) with Eder, but his relationship status is stuck at +1.

I have also noticed Xoti freaking out at Pellagina right away. But after some time traveling with both of them Pellagina did the same to her. The interesting thing was that this conversation happened twice right after one another. As soon as the conversation ended, Pellagina started again right away. Same dialogue, same options, as if the first time never even happened.

• I finished the Game, did Aloth's quest, and never got beyond +1 no matter how many times he approved of my actions. 

Tekehu hit on the watcher IMMEDIATELY, and I tried to put that on hold, never got the option to romance him after that. Apparently, it's one chance, and too bad if you say no 5 seconds after you meet.

It felt like there should have been WAY more party interactions? PoE1 had tons without the relationship system but Deadfire has scarcely any. If this isn't a bug, then it's a huge step backward.  

• Like 8

Now when I am thinking on it, Xoti seemed to get stuck at 2.5 reputation with me. I also got an achievement for reaching maximum approval of a companion (Xoti being the highest).

Isn´t 2 Reputation the maximum you can get with a companion ? I got the steadfast ally achievement and none of my characters is above 2. Or is this supposed to go higher and I am affected by this bug as well ?

Now when I am thinking on it, Xoti seemed to get stuck at 2.5 reputation with me. I also got an achievement for reaching maximum approval of a companion (Xoti being the highest).

Isn´t 2 Reputation the maximum you can get with a companion ? I got the steadfast ally achievement and none of my characters is above 2. Or is this supposed to go higher and I am affected by this bug as well ?

I believe the maximum is 4, but I'm not positive.

I believe the maximum is 4, but I'm not positive.

No, maximum is 2, the other side is for negative approval.

• Like 1

-Aloth has conflicting dispositions and it is very hard or nigh impossible to raise his approval to 2;

Aloth's thread is at https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98035-aloth-approval-possible-bug/

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Maia didn't hit on me right away, but I put her on storage when I got her and took her out later. I probably run with her in my party for ~2 hours before that dialogue triggered after leaving the cartographer building in Queen's Berth. It was the first auto-dialogue I got from her, but talked to her before that.

Maybe putting companion in storage slow them down?

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Aloth quest 'The Painted Mask' is bugged . The queen you need to talk to is bugged . She does not move from her throne to retire at night . And I never got the option to do what need to be done regarding her so I could finish his quest . Also , it probably bugged the slider for some reason for Aloth , cose it acted as if I finished the quest when I never did and was still in my journal as active . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Aloth quest 'The Painted Mask' is bugged . The queen you need to talk to is bugged . She does not move from her throne to retire at night . And I never got the option to do what need to be done regarding her so I could finish his quest . Also , it probably bugged the slider for some reason for Aloth , cose it acted as if I finished the quest when I never did and was still in my journal as active . 

Just a minor correction for clarity - it's not a queen but a leader of Ori o Koiki village. There is only one queen and she sits in Neketaka.

Edited by Aramintai

I have 2 companions in my game, Pallegina and Maia, who never gained or lost reputation on the rep screen ever. They've been in my primary party since shortly after getting them, and 30 or so hours in they still have 0 rep either way.

These issues honestly bother me more than the save game import issues. Alongside the fact that selecting a conversation choice with a disposition one time instantly puts me at 1 point towards that disposition, and I believe 2 is the max, is it not? Which I seem to hit after 3 or 4.

So, devs, are you gonna fix or at least acknowledge any of the numerous bugs that plague the relationship system right now?

Here are the highlights I've collected from the forum:

-Tekehu and Maia start their sexual advances dialogue with the Watcher way too soon, like literally almost right of the bat;

I agree with most of this but I just want to point out that Tekehu seems like the kind of person that would immediately proposition someone he just met if he was even only slightly attracted to them.

• Like 1

Run into some really misplaced positive Pallegina reaction. None of those situations had anything to do with the reaction. First one is approving pro-valian when enteriing Gullet, the second one is favourable anti-religion when initiating conversation with a sidequest NPC:
Kvcx7UT.jpg
VIAFkXz.jpg

Edited by Wormerine

Devs answered a bunch of questions in the latest stream. Disposition system will have some fixes in the next patch (which allegedly won't come until the end of the week) and it will somewhat affect the companions, companions relationship bugs will be addressed later, Aloth having both Autonomy and Authoritarianism dispositions is indeed a bug related to save importing.

• Like 2

Glad this thread exists, hopefully this catches the devs attention and is addressed in the next patch!! Thankfully i was only 5 hours into the game when i became aware of this ill just hold off till its fixed

Yeah, I've noticed most of these issues. I'm pretty sure I won't be playing with these fixed issues until my playthrough. Doubt I wanna hold off on this one for 2 weeks or however long it'll take em (if it even gets fixed next patch).