I don't know if the quest is bugged for me , but I though I ask . 

I'm stuck in Painted Mask quest . I found the merchant ship that was attacked . I followed the trail . I spoke to the queen .

But that's about it . 

This here: https://guides4gamers.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/quest/the-painted-masks/

Suggest that I'm supposed to read her soul . But it never happen . She ask me to save her enslaved peoples then dismiss me . 

The only part I can think of that would have screwed this quest , is where you meet sick trees . I didn't have Aloth with me . So he never met them and said something about the Leaden Key . 

So any advice ? 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

You mean the Ori o Koiki where there is a queen ? cose that's where I went and nothing . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I talked to Aloth right after lighting the beacon on Asongo, went to Oki o Koiki island, talked my way into the village, talked to the queen (by that time i've already wiped out Crookspur slavers...looong time ago, AND released Oki o Koiki enslaved warriors from dungeon of Crookspur), i asked queen about engwithans and she got angry when i mentioned em, then she asked smth about Crookspur, told her i cleaned the place but Rautai will be there shortly to occupy the place since her warriors didn't. She dismissed me and wont talk to me again, she doesn't sleep, her companions (don't remember their names) won't move, won't talk and won't do anything at all. I didn't read her soul cuz that wasn't available. Nothing happens now...

You're supposed to read the soul of the Ori o Koiki leader woman when you talk to her about the Leaden Key. If the option is not there then perhaps you didn't even talk to Aloth about his quest.

Edited by Aramintai

You're supposed to read the soul of the Ori o Koiki leader woman when you talk to her about the Leaden Key. If the option is not there then perhaps you didn't even talk to Aloth about his quest.

no , for me the option isn't there . And it's Aloth quest that dragged me there . The option to read her SOUL is NOT there . All I got in the journal is 'Look around for a clue'' . And like the guy above , the queen never go to sleep . 

I rested , I reloaded . Nothing . And once you talk to her..that is it . You can't talk to her again , she only say a floating text 'Don't step closer!' . 

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Well, have you tried reloading that area? And talking to the leader woman more nicely? It sounds like you pissed her off with something. I've seen her getting hostile only if you do the quest to kill all the Ori o Koiki leaders given by the slavers and if you kill two of them she'll turn hostile. But npcs not following schedules sound like a bug, you may wanna report this.

Edited by Aramintai

Well, have you tried reloading that area? And talking to the leader woman more nicely? It sounds like you pissed her off with something. I've seen her getting hostile only if you do the quest to kill all the Ori o Koiki leaders given by the slavers and if you kill two of them she'll turn hostile. But npcs not following schedules sound like a bug, you may wanna report this.

no . It was on my nice goody goody playtrough . I didn't kill anyone (not even that dumbass pirate at the beginning who attacked my ship) . And I was nice , I reloaded and tried all 3 reply and she still doesn't give me any 'read my soul' option . When I pick the question about the leaden Key , she doesn't reply . When you ask her about the meaning of the Tattoo (She just say there are more pressing matter) . All of this is tied to the Painted Mask for Aloth . 

So I'm guessing it's bugged . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

no . It was on my nice goody goody playtrough . I didn't kill anyone (not even that dumbass pirate at the beginning who attacked my ship) . And I was nice , I reloaded and tried all 3 reply and she still doesn't give me any 'read my soul' option . When I pick the question about the leaden Key , she doesn't reply . When you ask her about the meaning of the Tattoo (She just say there are more pressing matter) . All of this is tied to the Painted Mask for Aloth . 

Yea, perhaps. Have you tried talking to Aloth about everything again after you found the drifting ship with Leaden Key mark but before going to Ori o Koiki?

Yea, perhaps. Have you tried talking to Aloth about everything again after you found the drifting ship with Leaden Key mark but before going to Ori o Koiki?

yeah I did . Nothing . 

I hope you don't mind , but I posted in that thread link you been posting . cose you said to report it..and I don't know how to do that . 

Like I pointed in my previous post , this tribe..you meet some of them in a previous quest . Supposedly Aloth will recognize the Tattoo . And that will lead you to this quest . But I didn't have him with me . 

I'm gonna give another playtrough and see if that is the cause of this issue . I report when I get there and see if it make any difference . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I hope you don't mind , but I posted in that thread link you been posting . cose you said to report it..and I don't know how to do that . 

That's fine, but that thread was more about the bugs in companions relationship system not quests related to companions. You may wanna make a new topic about this in tech support section.

Like I pointed in my previous post , this tribe..you meet some of them in a previous quest . Supposedly Aloth will recognize the Tattoo . And that will lead you to this quest . But I didn't have him with me . 

Did you have him with you on the drifiting ship and Ori o Koiki? If not, you should.

That's fine, but that thread was more about the bugs in companions relationship system not quests related to companions. You may wanna make a new topic about this in tech support section.

well technicly it's companion related . Personal quest is due to relationship going positive and all . 

But I do that..sorry ! 

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Did you have him with you on the drifiting ship and Ori o Koiki? If not, you should.

I did . When I found the ship he was in my party . 

The only part where I didn't have him with me , was in a quest with sick Tree . Don't know if you re-call it . Where you can use a druid to heal them . Just before you get to this area with sick tree , you meet the tribal and he should've been with me . But I had Tekehu instead . 

I could be wrong , but I'm gonna try and take him with me at that quest and see if that is what made it bugged or not . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

There's another quest with her(relationship to the queen something with a secret code to enter bla); only after you have done this(which was also bugged for me(couldn't use secret phrase to get into town => quest doesn't close),but whatever) she won't say "more pressing matters" anymore and talk with you about the leaden key, then allowing you to read her soul.

• Like 1

I too am stuck on his quest, pretty much same situation as OP

it's bugged . what I did was..forget about it and move on . They gonna fix it with the patch hopefully . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

The conversation with the Queen is very strange, it feels unfinished.

There are no options to agree with her with clearing out the slavers, all you can say is "its not my fight".

I did get to read her soul before that.

Hopefully it will be adjusted. Far into the endgame it feels like there are a lot of quests with missing/unfinished options.

Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I'm in the same boat. I got the quest from Aloth to find the Wahaki, then didn't have any leads on that for a long time. Eventually, Queen Onekaza mentioned going to Ori o Koiki to get the Wahaki to start beating up Rauatai, but I wasn't interested in spurring more open conflict just then, so I stuck a pin in that one. Eventually I followed the Principi quest to Crookspur Island and, having the slave background, went berserk at the slave auction and killed all the slavers, freed all the slaves, and walked away from the explosion without looking at it. As soon as I left, a bunch of Rauataian ships rolled in with Atsura at the helm, I think because I'd gotten the quest to "Clear Out Crookspur" from the Royal Deadfire Company. I hadn't actually talked to Atsura or been instructed to clear Crookspur, but I believe that quest completed.

After I went to Magran's Teeth for the main quest, it seemed like the marker I'd gotten for Ori o Koiki vanished from my navigation screen, and I couldn't talk to Onekaza without needing to commit one way or another on the endgame. So I just decided to more sidequests, explore some islands, fill out my map. Many hours later, I found Ori o Koiki and brought Aloth along. Got the audience with the queen, she starts ranting about slavers, I toss Master Kua's head onto the floor and say I already took care of them. Went back and reloaded on this conversation a few times - no option to read her soul.

(Side note: I was pretty disappointed that, for this whole section about slave trade in the Deadfire, there weren't actually any unique dialogue options for the slave background, especially since my character is FROM the Deadfire. Similarly, no slave options to commiserate with Serafen over his sad story. Not a bug, per se, just surprising giving the otherwise excellent track record of these games.)

Here's where it gets goofy - She immediately transitions into accusing me of broken promises, and blames me for the Royal Deadire Company force that occupied Crookspur. I get three more dialogue options, all of which cause her to eject me from the audience chamber, and no apparent way to progress. 

If that sad chain of events just made it impossible to get the Wahaki alliance, fine, I can chalk that up to unintended consequences. I don't think it's meant to dead-end a companion quest, though.

I really hope someone finds a solution, or this gets patched, because otherwise this is the second time in as many games that this Watcher missed his chance to help Aloth. In the first game I didn't really hang out with him until after Brackenbury Sanitarium was trashed. As a result, Aloth seems convinced that I gave him the thumbs-up on restoring the Leaden Key. poor guy just can't catch a break.

• Like 1

(Side note: I was pretty disappointed that, for this whole section about slave trade in the Deadfire, there weren't actually any unique dialogue options for the slave background, especially since my character is FROM the Deadfire. Similarly, no slave options to commiserate with Serafen over his sad story. Not a bug, per se, just surprising giving the otherwise excellent track record of these games.)

Here's where it gets goofy - She immediately transitions into accusing me of broken promises, and blames me for the Royal Deadire Company force that occupied Crookspur. I get three more dialogue options, all of which cause her to eject me from the audience chamber, and no apparent way to progress. 

If that sad chain of events just made it impossible to get the Wahaki alliance, fine, I can chalk that up to unintended consequences. I don't think it's meant to dead-end a companion quest, though.

It looks like if you wipe out the slavers before you go to Ori o Koki, RDC moves in and you can't do anything with it.

Which... doesn't really make sense unless there is a quest associated with it. Can someone confirm if there is an RDC quest?

I waited and thankfully progressed that quest normally. It does feel weird when you go to the queen and the two options when she talks about the slavers are "this is not my fight, can I do something else to convince you", or attack her with "hello from Crookspur". There was no option to agree with her on wiping out slaves, but there was an option of attacking her...

As for reading her soul, you can ask her about her facepaint, which then opens up an option to read her soul. Or its there after the first introduction, I don't remember. I think she has to be NOT angry with you for you to be able to read her.

Really, there are no slave options? I was thinking of making a character with the slave background just to see the responses. And looks like the most important response part is actually missing.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I'm in the same boat. I got the quest from Aloth to find the Wahaki, then didn't have any leads on that for a long time. Eventually, Queen Onekaza mentioned going to Ori o Koiki to get the Wahaki to start beating up Rauatai, but I wasn't interested in spurring more open conflict just then, so I stuck a pin in that one. Eventually I followed the Principi quest to Crookspur Island and, having the slave background, went berserk at the slave auction and killed all the slavers, freed all the slaves, and walked away from the explosion without looking at it.

Cool guys don’t look at explosions!

https://youtu.be/Sqz5dbs5zmo

Lonely Island aside :D . I’m really hoping they fix some of these issues soon... I’ve been putting off starting my game again until it’s less likely to break, but that’s taking far far longer than I hoped ☹

Edited by Noctoi