I can't really motivate taking Biting whip for just an extra 10% damage, when you get such an improved bonus from Draining Whip. It made me think that maybe if you add a +1 (or even +2) Penetration to the Biting Whip it would even up more towards being able to spam abilities that you can with Draining Whip.

Or simply nerf Draining Whip is an option too. It doesn't really feel like a choice between these two?

I think that it depends upon why you are getting the whip upgrade.  If you are single class cipher then you need the focus, and it is no question that you pick draining whip.  If you are a multiclass then in many cases all you want is the extra damage.

• Like 1

I think that it depends upon why you are getting the whip upgrade.  If you are single class cipher then you need the focus, and it is no question that you pick draining whip.  If you are a multiclass then in many cases all you want is the extra damage.

I could never justify that, in that way. It's only 10% difference after all. But with a 100% increase in focus you can do whatever you intended to do all the more often and have much greater utility for your character for only a very small difference in damage overall. Even if I only have a very few Cipher abilities I would just benefit more from being able to use them more often, and being prepared for when I do need to use it, rather than have to wait and possibly end up in a worse situation thanks to not being able to use it.

I would much rather add +1 or +2 penetration to that upgrade too to signify that you're now more focused with your... focus (sorry, that grammar). Quality versus Quantity thing really, the difference just isn't big enough as it is.

If it was buffed up, I would suddenly have to think more on which route to go with it.

Imo it should be nerfed to 20% dmg 50% focus or something.

But either way, you can go ascendant as 2ndary class to any dps focused class and that gives you more dmg + you can spam freely when you reach max if your dex is high enough. Having 10% more dmg also means that's a bit more focus, too.

Think about it like this: would you take a passive that just gives a permanent +3.3 might? If the character is a damage dealer, the answer usually yes. The cost is pretty low in most cases, the alternative would have been some second-level cipher spell when you already have the two best ones. Is +10% damage better than the third best cipher spell from the second tier? Unless your character is a pure controller, it probably is.

Agreed, some ability upgrade branches are totally trash now. For example this Biting Whip vs Draining Whip. If it was +20% damage vs +100% focus, I'd still pondering between two upgrade a bit. Now this just no-brainer draining whip. Same as Eternal flame vs Shared flame, +10% lash to self vs +20% lash to every ally... Also some abilities are really bad currently, like Fighter Weapon Mastery passive. It is a lvl 7 ability, and add 5% to your weapon damage, seriously?!

• Like 2

Agreed, some ability upgrade branches are totally trash now. For example this Biting Whip vs Draining Whip. If it was +20% damage vs +100% focus, I'd still pondering between two upgrade a bit. Now this just no-brainer draining whip. Same as Eternal flame vs Shared flame, +10% lash to self vs +20% lash to every ally... Also some abilities are really bad currently, like Fighter Weapon Mastery passive. It is a lvl 7 ability, and add 5% to your weapon damage, seriously?!

Exactly this. When I saw the original numbers - from 20% damage to either 40% damage or 20% damage + 100% increased focus gain, I was very split, (double the damage bonus or double the focus gain), but with the nerf to 30%, it's now a 10% more damage (ends up more like 5% more total damage) or double focus, the choice was extremely obvious for my Soulblade. Double focus.

• Like 1

Exactly this. When I saw the original numbers - from 20% damage to either 40% damage or 20% damage + 100% increased focus gain, I was very split, (double the damage bonus or double the focus gain), but with the nerf to 30%, it's now a 10% more damage (ends up more like 5% more total damage) or double focus, the choice was extremely obvious for my Soulblade. Double focus.

Yeah, it would make sense that double focus gain would be overall more damage for a Soulblade, since it is a direct boost to how often or how hard you can Soul Annihilate.

Edited by Anoregon
  • Like 1