Annoying Smashing Sound that Repeats

Shuuvkopeck

Question

For a while now there is this sound that sounds like something is smashing together.  It repeats regardless of what zone I am in every 30 seconds or so, and is very annoying.  I am attaching a link to my save in Dropbox.  All you have to do is load it up and sit there for a minute or so and you should hear it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mzbn99eb9c7x7d/Ghaleon%20%28KahangaPalace%29%20%28ba66286a-d0e0-43ca-bcbe-475038518e44%29%20%28756428376%29.savegame?dl=0

If you could figure what this is and stop it I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

• Like 2

10 answers to this question

I have this too! Makes the game basically unplayable. It started for me when i saved indoors at the palace in Nekataka, then reloaded that save. Reloading from before entering the palace fixes it but anytime i save indoors and reload now i get this repeated crashing sound permanently.  Hope a fix is coming soon, I love the game.

I figured out what is causing this. The unique belt, Ngati's Girdle, makes that crashing sound when equipped, and as long as it's equipped on a character it continually makes that crashing sound even out of combat. Taking it off seems to get rid of the sound completely.  I was worried it was connected to saving, but it was just because right after i got Maia in the palace I went to equip everyone and put the belt on, causing the sound in all subsequent loads.  Hopefully it's fixed, the belt is perfect for Tekehu!

aha!  I have it.  it is tied to items that cast certain spells when you get crit hit.

the belt casts "Fathom's redress", and I had another item that cast "boil over". 

both of those enchants play a sound effect when you equip the items, and I suspect play the sound effect again when the script checking for conditions is restarted.

to test, I removed "Fathom's redress" from the Ngati belt, but kept wearing the item with "boil over".

result:  still get the sound effect playing every minute or so when entering a new area.

then, I removed the "boil over" from the other item and.... no more crashing sound effect.

so the repeating sound effect is for sure tied to spell effects on items that have a sound effect when you equip the item.

now it will be easy to track down.

and, you can fix items yourself easily by modding, or even easier by using this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2

to modify an item, remove it and place it in your personal or stash inventory, rt-click on the item with the console menu active, and click the button for "item inspector".   then it will list all the effects currently on the item you are looking at.  press the "-" button next to any effect you want to remove.  press the "+" button next to "mods" and a list will pop up on the left side of your screen with every effect you can possibly add to that item.

so, you can entirely customize your items to fit your character, and at the same time, remove effects that are currently buggy.

I've had a ton of fun with it, and already repaired at least a dozen minor bugs.

fair warning... you can add in your own buggy effects.  make sure you pay attention to what the effects are doing and if they are working correctly after you add them. 

-do not add pet effects to items, bad bad mojo (though you can add effects to pets; they are really just another item with special properties).
-do not add character effects (effects that are normally bound to a character instead of an item) to an item.
-do not repeat the same effect on the same item.
-if you put an effect on an item... and the effect remains AFTER you remove the item... remove the item, remove the effect, and put the item back on.  you might need to rest to clear the effect.

other than that... go wild.  lots of great themes you can build on items.  lots of effects have a corrode theme, lots have fire themes, chanter themes, etc.  you can build a really fun and thematic set of items for your characters.

it's quite fun.

Edited by Ichthyic
  • Like 1

This bug is still in the game. Infuriating, almost made me quit that playthrough. Removing the belt fixed it.

There's still some loose aura toggle sounds when you load into an area, but at least the constant ****ing smashing is gone now.