I've seen some single items costing over 40K and ships and all their options costing so much money. I'm stil not that far in the game and got around 14K so far. So I was wondering how do you make the big bucks this time around? Is it just plundering ships or are there other ways?

When you start fighting enemies above level 10-11, they start dropping exceptional/superb gears that sell for thousands a pop.

• Like 1

Same as ever other RPG, kill people and take their stuff. By the end of the game I had a fully decked out galleon, bought all the items I wanted and another 350k in the bank. Don't worry so much about it early on.

Aight thanks. So it's a progression kind a thing. I thought I was missing out on something. Thanks again.

Or if you play a bastard like me (in my case a Bleakwalker):

Steal and kill NPCs - it really pays off!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

My best tips:

1) Collect loot from every single body then sell everything you won't use. 

2) Raid all hostile/uniquely named ships for loot and collect their bounties.

At the end of the game I had the best ship with best equipment, bought all the expensive stuff that I wanted from vendors, upgraded most of my gear (some ingredients are hard to come by) and still ended up with around 150K of cash.

Stealth and sleight of hand are your friends. I've been able to acquire plenty of items off of several shops simply by stealthing my way around and taking the merch from containers. It's a pretty decent way of getting a bit of money, and potentially getting that 9k item you were pondering on buying.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Bounties pay 1,200-5,000+ a pop. I was able to buy a Junk at level 11 just by completing bounties and selling the loot.

• Like 1

I'm assuming you're looking for legitimate ways to earn money, but there is what seems like a completely unintentional way to make as much money as you want in Port Maje.

Sell your highest selling items to the fish vendor.  Then look at the stall behind her.  Everything that you sold her will not be marked for theft, so you can take it all back and sell it again ad nauseum.

• Like 2

I'm assuming you're looking for legitimate ways to earn money, but there is what seems like a completely unintentional way to make as much money as you want in Port Maje.

Sell your highest selling items to the fish vendor.  Then look at the stall behind her.  Everything that you sold her will not be marked for theft, so you can take it all back and sell it again ad nauseum.

Port Maje here I come! XD

Until level 10 I feel currency is balanced. After Level 10 the game just breaks... It's definitely visible how the end-game is less tested. 

Edited by Hazmy

Until level 10 I feel currency is balanced. After Level 10 the game just breaks... It's definitely visible how the end-game is less tested.

Or they just decided to let players go wild ;-)

h1dczBG.jpg

I'd much rather a game have an abundance of currency available for the player to use to test different gear, ships, and consumables.  Also, it's nice to be able to retrain whenever I want, supply my ship for as much exploration as I can do, enchant, craft, etc. 

I dislike when games give you so little currency that you have to pick what not to get and you can't get all the most powerful items in a single playthrough.  Dragon Age: Origins would have been so much better with a lot more available gold.  Shadowrun: Hong Kong suffers from a lack of money too which I feel really hurt these games overall.

Edited by angryusaman

Port Maje here I come! XD

I don't think this works anymore, the fish vendor's rack is marked for thieving. 

In the super-early game, I found harvesting traps was quite lucrative, relatively speaking. Just make sure one character has some Mechanics points. I started the game with these being on my protagonist, but respecced once I figured out who I wanted to travel with. Obviously, this doesn't help OP, as once you have 14k, you're looking for bigger numbers than traps sell for.

Or they just decided to let players go wild ;-)

Yeah, there is almost certainly some intent to let players off the leash with cash towards the end. I was actually impressed by how balanced Deadfire's economy was for so long compared to other CRPGs, although it probably helps that I don't loot any chests that wouldn't make sense for my character to loot (e.g., chests in kith's homes are offlimits, as are barrels and crates on a dock).

I find this really depends on how much you bother engaging enemy ships.  If you're not doing random piracy, or only pursuing ship bounties for 1 or 2 factions, cash stays relatively tight for far longer.