10 hours ago, Boeroer said:

That may be the case, but my point was that you can get the expensive exceptional/superior loot a LOT earlier of you don't try to board but simply sink the ships (due to the reasons I explained above). So while you may get a bit more coin out of boarding instead of sinking ships it wouldn't matter much since it would mean you get that money a lot later - when you usually swim in money anyways. Sinking superior captains/ships very early is what has the most impact on your "money game" by far.

I don't really agree. Looting a high level ship after boarding will get you at least 2k more gold. A top tier bounty reward is only worth 5k. Operating costs, upgrades, and repairs for ship combat cost money too. I've sunk every enemy ship in the sea, and it hasn't made the most impact for me.

OTOH, selling loot is hugely profitable. Very early on, clothes are worth more than weapons. I tend to clear a few islands and dungeons before I turn anything in. My first big haul around level 8 included 10 exceptional greatswords, I made over 60k. My last big sale at level 17 netted over 170k, I bought a Junk with all upgrades.

I haven't started any of the DLCs and my party doesn't steal, but I've still managed to get pretty rich. That said, there are many money sinks in this game, so it has paid off to be smart about how I spend my gold.

2 hours ago, Helz said:

I've sunk every enemy ship in the sea, and it hasn't made the most impact for me.

Again: it depends WHEN you are able to take down the ship. Obviously exceptional gear (taken from a sunken ship) is much more valuable for the low level party than the same or a bit more would be for the high level party. And as I already said it's a lot easier to sink a ship as a low level party than it is to win boarding fight. This very apparent once you go solo. And the OP needed tips for making money in the early game. Later money isn't a problem at all with all the loot you gather from every encounter along the way. You don't need a Junk to sink every ship on the map. The sloop with four Iron Thunderers is enough and extremely cheap. Train your cannoneers with weak ships like Beggar Winfruth etc. Once they are master cannoneers you can take on every ship. Buy the Red Dream in Dunnage for a bargain if you need extra safety and buy three Royal Bronzers (+Heafric's Nose) if you want a bit more firepower.  

Before even sailing to Neketaka I can already sink a good amount of ships and swim in money - if I want to. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

I always farm exceptional weapons and gears by boarding slaver ships. They are reborn immediately after they are sunk. So, you can have unlimited gold if you are willing to spend time. You can even set all characters in the party to AI, and do something else in real life while farming.

Some might argue that they do not want to spend time chasing those slaver ships across the map. Here is the tip.

If you board those ships at certain spot, they will be reborn immediately at the same spot. You can simultaneously board them again and again, until you are satisfied. The golden position is around the 3-wayed channel intersection near Crookspur.

If I remember correctly, the farm rate is about 50k-70k per 30 minutes.

Edited by ekt0

6 hours ago, ekt0 said:

I always farm exceptional weapons and gears by boarding slaver ships. They are reborn immediately after they are sunk. So, you can have unlimited gold if you are willing to spend time.

But there is nothing reasonable to do with your unlimited gold. I think that's a bit of a problem in the game: even if you just play a normal game, you will end with an awful lot of cash and nothing to spend it on. There is no need to upgrade the ship, ever. There is nothing special in any of the shops to buy. The latter point is a result of the extremely balanced system: although some items are better than others, you don't need the better items, and there are no especially good items that you'd definitely want to buy.

Edited by xzar_monty

• 2 years later...