I've seen some single items costing over 40K and ships and all their options costing so much money. I'm stil not that far in the game and got around 14K so far. So I was wondering how do you make the big bucks this time around? Is it just plundering ships or are there other ways?

My best tips:

1) Collect loot from every single body then sell everything you won't use. 

2) Raid all hostile/uniquely named ships for loot and collect their bounties.

At the end of the game I had the best ship with best equipment, bought all the expensive stuff that I wanted from vendors, upgraded most of my gear (some ingredients are hard to come by) and still ended up with around 150K of cash.

Stealth and sleight of hand are your friends. I've been able to acquire plenty of items off of several shops simply by stealthing my way around and taking the merch from containers. It's a pretty decent way of getting a bit of money, and potentially getting that 9k item you were pondering on buying.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm assuming you're looking for legitimate ways to earn money, but there is what seems like a completely unintentional way to make as much money as you want in Port Maje.

Sell your highest selling items to the fish vendor.  Then look at the stall behind her.  Everything that you sold her will not be marked for theft, so you can take it all back and sell it again ad nauseum.

• Like 2

I'm assuming you're looking for legitimate ways to earn money, but there is what seems like a completely unintentional way to make as much money as you want in Port Maje.

Sell your highest selling items to the fish vendor.  Then look at the stall behind her.  Everything that you sold her will not be marked for theft, so you can take it all back and sell it again ad nauseum.

Port Maje here I come! XD

Until level 10 I feel currency is balanced. After Level 10 the game just breaks... It's definitely visible how the end-game is less tested. 

Edited by Hazmy

I'd much rather a game have an abundance of currency available for the player to use to test different gear, ships, and consumables.  Also, it's nice to be able to retrain whenever I want, supply my ship for as much exploration as I can do, enchant, craft, etc. 

I dislike when games give you so little currency that you have to pick what not to get and you can't get all the most powerful items in a single playthrough.  Dragon Age: Origins would have been so much better with a lot more available gold.  Shadowrun: Hong Kong suffers from a lack of money too which I feel really hurt these games overall.

Edited by angryusaman

Port Maje here I come! XD

I don't think this works anymore, the fish vendor's rack is marked for thieving. 

• 1 month later...

In the super-early game, I found harvesting traps was quite lucrative, relatively speaking. Just make sure one character has some Mechanics points. I started the game with these being on my protagonist, but respecced once I figured out who I wanted to travel with. Obviously, this doesn't help OP, as once you have 14k, you're looking for bigger numbers than traps sell for.

Until level 10 I feel currency is balanced. After Level 10 the game just breaks... It's definitely visible how the end-game is less tested.

Or they just decided to let players go wild ;-)

Yeah, there is almost certainly some intent to let players off the leash with cash towards the end. I was actually impressed by how balanced Deadfire's economy was for so long compared to other CRPGs, although it probably helps that I don't loot any chests that wouldn't make sense for my character to loot (e.g., chests in kith's homes are offlimits, as are barrels and crates on a dock).

I find this really depends on how much you bother engaging enemy ships.  If you're not doing random piracy, or only pursuing ship bounties for 1 or 2 factions, cash stays relatively tight for far longer. 

• 2 years later...

You don't even have to board. When sinking a ship you get basically the same loot. Usually it is a lot easier to sink significantly overleveled ships (that carry the really expensive stuff) than winning the same overleveled board fight. That's because char level and captain's/crew's "nautical" level aren't connected at all - you can level up your captain skills and those of your cannoneers a lot faster than your char level. Master cannoneers can trigger special events when hitting which force the enemy to reassign crew. If you fire often enough and hit reliably the enemy often gets trapped in a loop of reassignments and is not able to fire the cannons regularly anymore, making winning easy.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

12 hours ago, Boeroer said:

You don't even have to board. When sinking a ship you get basically the same loot.

I don't know the exact amount, but you do get noticeably more loot from boarding. It's the difference between filling maybe 1/2 of the visible loot inventory and having to scroll down to see everything. Plus, you can get cannons - I've looted 3 Vailian Hullbreakers and a lot of lesser ones.

But the way to become rich in PoE2 is to be a traveling greatsword salesman. They're everywhere. I've saturated the market so badly in Neketaka that I saw an old lady opening her mail with an exceptional greatsword.

• Haha 2

holy necro thread, batman!

iirc, the loot from sinking a ship is pre-determined whereas the boarding loot is a combination of predetermined and natural loot tables, which in certain instances can mean getting a ton more weapon/money drops.

IME my biggest money windfalls come from doing hasongo and huana quests, and then later forgotten sanctum. True to what Helz says, the naga seem to carry tons of exceptional greatswords (and there are lots of naga in hasongo and underneath the watershapers') and I always end up with a boatload of money. 

Also, if I have one critique of forgotten sanctum is that when completed it utterly destroys whatever semblance of a balanced economy vanilla deadfire had. when almost every single fight involves enemies dropping superb gear and you're tripping over valuable scrolls and potions, it's hard not to end up extremely rich afterwards, even if you wastefully drop lots of money on upgrading ships and items.

On the other hand, Forgotten Sanctum is arguably the most difficult and dangerous DLC, with the most opportunities for permadeath. With the risk come the rewards! That said, by the time I get to the DLCs I'm usually filthy rich from piracy and bounties.

10 hours ago, thelee said:

iirc, the loot from sinking a ship is pre-determined whereas the boarding loot is a combination of predetermined and natural loot tables, which in certain instances can mean getting a ton more weapon/money drops.

That may be the case, but my point was that you can get the expensive exceptional/superior loot a LOT earlier of you don't try to board but simply sink the ships (due to the reasons I explained above). So while you may get a bit more coin out of boarding instead of sinking ships it wouldn't matter much since it would mean you get that money a lot later - when you usually swim in money anyways. Sinking superior captains/ships very early is what has the most impact on your "money game" by far. Also raising mechanics asap, getting the Burgler's Gloves, grab Thieve's Putty and go lockpicking superior or even legendary gear (see Grave Calling in Crookspur etc.). If you have Bounding Boots you need no stealth. Simply be in stealth, then target the jump right beside the chest but pause before you execute. Unpause/pause until you see the landing circle, then cancel the action (Leap gets cancelled, no rest use gets substracted but you still land where you aimed - without any recovery and sound) and click on the chest. You will be able to steal without getting noticed. 

This trick is useful for other things, too (like being a solo Assassin with not much stealth or just getting past enemies unseen) but it's also great for looting stuff from containers and also for pickpocket.

Barbarian can do without boots obviously once he gets Leap as ability. 

There are at least two pairs of Bounding Boots. So if you screw up the cancellation process you can still stack them in the stash in order to refill the per rest uses.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods