Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Definitive FAQ on Beraths Blessings

#Berath #Blessings #Beraths Blessings #Deadfire #Character Creation #New Game

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

fortuntek

fortuntek

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Can crewmembers reach legendary? I don't think so... It appears that master is the highest for them, and even then only crew who don't have any ranks in any other skill seem able to reach master. For example, every crew that had novice in one skill (i.e. deckhand) could not get past expert in another skill
  • Karkarov likes this

z_liquid

z_liquid

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
Yeah, was hoping there would be a challenge or two in there as well. It wouldn't even need to be anything drastic, just to make the game a bit more fun.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Can crewmembers reach legendary? I don't think so... It appears that master is the highest for them, and even then only crew who don't have any ranks in any other skill seem able to reach master. For example, every crew that had novice in one skill (i.e. deckhand) could not get past expert in another skill

Yeah this is true, looks like master is the top rank for regular crew, and they can only have one set skill or they wont even get that.  I desperately need a new gunner, cause of their mishmash they are stuck at seasoned.

• fortuntek likes this

fortuntek

fortuntek

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah this is true, looks like master is the top rank for regular crew, and they can only have one set skill or they wont even get that. I desperately need a new gunner, cause of their mishmash they are stuck at seasoned.

You mean cannoneers? You start off with one (his name is like Vanizzi or something similar) but I've only been able to hire one or two others who didn't already start with another skill. I've not found any pure helmsman but Worthless Idiot (the imp outside Arkemyr's manor) can become a master navigator, so he's not that worthless after all funny enough
  • Karkarov and illathid like this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I found a bug with the +2 skill Blessing. When I play as an Assassin/Evoker I get the bonus for 9 of the 10 skills from my classes. Sleight of hand doesn't get it.

I'll report it in the right forum, but if anyone creates a rogue and uses this blessing, please check to see if it happens.

Honestly I think the bug is that it doesn't work as the tool tip states.  As a singe class you would get +10 total skill points from this perk, think about it.  If you really got +2 from each skill you would be getting +20 skill points.  OP much?

Edit: Yeah confirmed in game, sleight of hand is coming from rogue.  Also it is 5 skills per class I was being dumb.

Edited by Karkarov, 13 May 2018 - 04:41 PM.

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 758 posts

Spellblade doesn't get sleight of hand- its coming from a background, which is why it isn't getting the bonus.  No bug.

ArmyP

ArmyP

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thanks OP !!
  • Karkarov likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Spellblade doesn't get sleight of hand- its coming from a background, which is why it isn't getting the bonus.  No bug.

Check the pictures I added to my previous post. It says sleight of hand comes from Rogue. But I know what you are talking about, the wiki says rogues get insight instead.

One way or another, there is definitely a bug there.

Honestly I think the bug is that it doesn't work as the tool tip states.  As a singe class you would get +8 total skill points from this perk, think about it.  If it did give you a sleight of hand bonus too you would be getting +18 skill points from this one perk.  Also mage/rogue probably shouldn't be getting 9 skills, it should be 8 at most as each single class only gets 4.

Edit - actually let me fact check something in game then will edit this post as needed.

Yes, it's unfair with single class characters. It should double the skill points, not add 2 to each one.

Edited by InsaneCommander, 13 May 2018 - 04:36 PM.

• Karkarov likes this

Gredd18

Gredd18

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

The +2 Bonus to class skills applies to your allies, too. It's actually very potent, and totally worth taking.

Attached File  ss+(2018-05-14+at+02.46.59).jpg   104.41KB   13 downloads

• Karkarov and Ryz009 like this

BrokenMask

BrokenMask

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think they are cool since they make skill checks easier to do.

But yeah, I counted as max amount of berath's boons being 79 which is one or two below having all boons activated at same time. Not sure if that is accident or not, but yeah I think you are always one boon short from having all of them on same time

Epimetreus

Epimetreus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
These Blessings points are per-character, correct? In other words, you get the full set of Blessings points you’ve earned via achievements each time you start a new character/run-through.

Nowhere does it explicitly say that they’re not a finite amount - spend them and they’re gone forever - but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

VincentNZ

VincentNZ

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Yeah I wonder as well, when I start a new game, use these blessings and then start yet another game, will I still have the same amount of blessings to use?

Also I do wonder what made them add this system, when there is not a new game+ option. I actually wanted to start over again today, and use these blessings, but I think  I might refrain from this until the difficulty issues are patched. :)

nstgc

nstgc

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I actually like this better than New Game+. New Game+ only really makes sense if you use the same character again (like you would in a JRPG), but if I was to make a new play through it would be an "evil" run.

• Karkarov likes this

E.RedMark

E.RedMark

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

very very useful ! Thank you very much ! 

But I have a question : When I start a new game , it show blessing of berath 4/4 right . When I click on that window , and click on anything..it become 1/4 and for some reasons , I can't go back to 4/4 . 

Any idea ? bug maybe ? 

• Karkarov likes this

Zagrim

Zagrim

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

But I have a question : When I start a new game , it show blessing of berath 4/4 right . When I click on that window , and click on anything..it become 1/4 and for some reasons , I can't go back to 4/4 . 

Any idea ? bug maybe ? 

Just click the blessing you picked again to uncheck it and you will be straight back at 4/4

Yeah I wonder as well, when I start a new game, use these blessings and then start yet another game, will I still have the same amount of blessings to use?

Also I do wonder what made them add this system, when there is not a new game+ option. I actually wanted to start over again today, and use these blessings, but I think  I might refrain from this until the difficulty issues are patched. :)

You will keep the same blessings. It doesnt cost blessings to use them when you start a game. Its permanently unlocked. So if you for some reason want to play 3 games at once, all 3 games will have the same amount of blessings available if you start them one after another,

• Karkarov likes this

E.RedMark

E.RedMark

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

Any idea ? bug maybe ? 

Just click the blessing you picked again to uncheck it and you will be straight back at 4/4

You will keep the same blessings. It doesnt cost blessings to use them when you start a game. Its permanently unlocked. So if you for some reason want to play 3 games at once, all 3 games will have the same amount of blessings available if you start them one after another,

I can't . That's what I'm saying..

nstgc

nstgc

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Any idea ? bug maybe ? 

Sounds like a bug.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The +2 Bonus to class skills applies to your allies, too. It's actually very potent, and totally worth taking.

attachicon.gifss+(2018-05-14+at+02.46.59).jpg

It is actually OP as heck.  It should by all rights be more like 10 points, certainly more than 3.

I think they are cool since they make skill checks easier to do.

But yeah, I counted as max amount of berath's boons being 79 which is one or two below having all boons activated at same time. Not sure if that is accident or not, but yeah I think you are always one boon short from having all of them on same time

Not exactly a penalty.  I am pretty sure I can handle not having the bonus 5k copper, just saying :p.

Can you post a screenshot of it?  Like was mentioned before you should just be able to unclick the highlighted blessing.  So yeah, it may be a bug.

But yes, for those who asked, your points are not "used up" when you actually pick one.  You can use your current point freely on every new game you play.

Silvaren

Silvaren

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
They announced Berath's blessings like some cool bonuses for next playthrough like keeping favourite weapon from the last character or such. They said that Berath's blessing could work as some kind of special rules, to make game harder for certain benefits. It sounded interesting. Some additional challenge for benefits or for sake of challenge. Like playing Dishonored without Outsider's powers or playing Baldur's Gate without save scumming. It would be cool to have special modifiers to make game harder in trade for special bonuses.
  • dukeisaac likes this

Doppelschwert

Doppelschwert

Sword Enthusiast of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1032 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thanks for that! Does anyone know what the benefits of being an expert rank captain is?

As far as I remember from clicking through the ship tutorial, the captain rank acts like initiative and decides who gets to go first?

• illathid likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #Berath, #Blessings, #Beraths Blessings, #Deadfire, #Character Creation, #New Game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users