[Level Scaling] [Difficulty] [POTD]Compilation Thread

anathanielh

Question

Heya everyone,

This is actually working as designed. Using the Level Scale feature disables the difficulty skulls. I asked our design team about it, and it's because the skull system relies on quests and monsters having a "difficulty" level set manually for the skulls to pull from. With the level scaling feature enabled these manual entries don't adjust, making the skulls inaccurate.

Hope that clears things up.

• Like 3

I try my very best.

Ah understood, This is not a bug and is how the game is intended to be played. Skull indicators have been removed, though I will get in that this is difficult for players to assess. Sincere apologies all! 

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

I have the same. I can't see the skulls on mobs or quests (1, 2, 3 or 3 red skulls indicating how high level the monster/quest is compared to you). If it helps, I have level scaling set to all, with "Only Scale Upwards" toggled on. At first I thought the game was scaling all fights down to my level anyways, but I found a fight that's definitely very high level for me.

post-160058-0-37924900-1525916347_thumb.jpg

post-160058-0-12826400-1525916352_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm guessing they mean the option in the Difficulty setting, for "Enable Difficulty Indicators." Don't seem to be showing for me either. I also have only scale up enabled, like z_liquid, and I've definitely stumbled into some fights where they're a lot higher than me, based on their spell selections, and they were not showing any of the skull icons.

Edited by mrscojangles
  • Like 1

Hello anathenielh,

Would you be so kind as to add an image of which difficulty you are attempting to see?

Thank you!

-Caleb

What I want to show are the skulls next to locations and quests that indicate how difficult they are. The area in the screenshot has enemies that I have a literal 0% chance to hit and can potentially one shot my entire party. (Way above me in levels and defenses). The option to show difficulty indicators is enabled so it should show.

I'm currently playing on POTD, so might that be the problem?

post-195440-0-85689100-1525916374_thumb.jpg

post-195440-0-12502300-1525916397_thumb.jpg

Edited by anathanielh

I also made a thread about this problem yesterday.

It’s really troublesome for me because I’m trying PotD for the first time and I’ve run into several islands where my entire party gets wiped in the 1st 5-10 seconds or I can’t hit the enemies and the fight lasts upwards of 10 minutes for 1 guy just autoattacking

Heya everyone,

This is actually working as designed. Using the Level Scale feature disables the difficulty skulls. I asked our design team about it, and it's because the skull system relies on quests and monsters having a "difficulty" level set manually for the skulls to pull from. With the level scaling feature enabled these manual entries don't adjust, making the skulls inaccurate.

Ah, alright then. I'll just restart the game with scaling off. Thanks for the confirmation, friend

Ah understood, This is not a bug and is how the game is intended to be played. Skull indicators have been removed, though I will get in that this is difficult for players to assess. Sincere apologies all! 

That makes no sense - how is that the intended behavior? I understand them being turned off if you have full scaling enabled for both scaling up and down, but why are they disabled when only scale up is selected? There is tons of stuff that is massively over leveled for the player and there is no way to gauge it until you get one shot by some enemies that are twice your level.

• Like 3

That sounds odd. If difficulty indicator is enabled, how is the game thinking level 12 area quest is not difficulty for my level 6?

• Like 2

Was looking for this since I thought it was a bug as well.

Heya everyone,

How does this work with scaling the Critical Path up? Feels a bit strange that it doesn't show any indicators at all when the option is there. Is it not possible to show skulls for anything but the critical path? If not maybe greying out the option if you pick scaling would make more sense.

Heya everyone,

Makes sense for the "scale both ways" option. But I think for the "only scale up" option, it would be nice to be able to display them anyway. Upscaled encounters wouldn't have skulls, which should make sense because they hopefully shouldn't overshoot you too far, and you could still avoid encounters that are way above your level.

• Like 7

Heya everyone,

I don't understand why it doesn't still function with the only scale up option. If the zone is using its manually set level because its 8 levels higher than me and not scaling up, then shouldn't the game still be able to tell me that the fight is higher level than me? If I'm level 6 and the area is level 14 without scaling, the only scale up option has had 0 impact on it at that point and only would impact it if I'm higher level than the manually set level, at which point the skulls wouldn't be showing anyways because it'd be scaled up to be equal. 

• Like 2