Untargetable enemies, stuck in combat

Ragecage

Question

24 answers to this question

I am having the same issue multiple times.  I sent files in on previous post on the 16th, but did not hear from developers.  Hopefully, they will address your post and/or take a look at my save files as well.

"appears that certain debuffs on an enemy prevents the ability to attack that enemy and consequently you can not end combat.  It has happened a few times and I have had to load an older saved game.  This last time it happened was during a ship fight.  The last enemy that had a "marked prey" debuff on him could not be hit/engaged so I could not complete the battle.  The enemy just stood there and I could not target him/attack him.

This also happened a few more time, but I did not recognize the debuff symbol that the enemy had on him.

I play the game on PC using steam."

Any update on this issue.  It keeps happening in my game when there are a lot of enemies on the screen.  A few enemies will become untarget-able (usually with some buff/debuff icon on them.)  The enemies will follow my group on screen in a slow fashion, but since they can't be targeted I end up stuck in combat mode and not able to loot, leave area, or otherwise interact with environment.  This is extremely frustrating for me because I either have to load an older save before the fight in question, or choose an option that does not end in a fight if fight starts from dialogue choices. 

I do really enjoy playing the game and any feedback from devs would be greatly appreciated.

I get this happening most consistently when I one shot an enemy in the first round of combat.  in fact, i can reproduce that 100% of the time using abjuration on a low level spirit using my main character.

EVERY time I use abjuration and the result is the death of a spirit... it doesn't die, but stays there, untargetable and combat continues indefinitely.

so if you are looking to easily reproduce the error, try that.

btw, this is the EXACT same thing that happened when PoE 1 was released, also fyi to see if that info speeds fixing this, and also as a chiding that since this has happened before, and was fixed, it should not be happening again.  sloppy programming.

just... fix it.

Edited by Ichthyic
  • Like 1

I have the same problem on the a dance with death quest, i have reloaded it a handful of times now with no fix..... that makes it very game breaking. :(

for me, i get best results by completely exiting the game, reloading just before combat, and then activating combat.

seems like the longer the game runs, the more likely this particular error will occur during any random combat.

i have... over 200 saves already, mostly because I remember what happened in PoE 1 when I didn't save every five steps (usually a bug made me regret not saving).

Usually you can kill the mobs with aoe abilities such as fireball.

This happened a lot to me when approaching from stealth

Yeah... it was during that fight in the water ruins below Neketaka where a lot of undead spawn after you pick up a saber. I had used up all my AoE's during the fight.

So sucky to lose hours of progress due to a low level unkillable Gul. What's worse: you can't leave the area while in Combat, you can't save while in Combat, and combat doesn't end even if you run away from the enemy. 

They really need to fix this bug.

The same is happening to me, Serafen's companion quest and another late game fight. I cant kill them with aoe or anything. The last time it happened I just talked my way out of an encounter this one I have 100% repeatable unfinish-able combat. I PMd the save file as requested.

*edit After some troubleshooting it appears to be too much damage even if I let the enemies wail on me for a few rounds. If I one shot certain targets they go immune. To rectify the encounter I turned AI off on all my characters and slowly killed them with my weakest auto attacker.

Edited by Malvolio
  • Like 1

I've had this happen repeatedly as well, in the current version. It's triggered very reliably under the dig site in the room with the Brine Imps and gunpowder barrels. I'm fairly certain it is not just the amount of damage though, but rather something in the transition into combat and/or the state the imps are in before combat.

I've just now tried it out a couple of times in a row, and quite reliably I can get the issue if I initiate combat by blowing up the Gunpowder barrel. In this case, by rolling a Rolling Flame over it from stealth (it is not due to the Rolling Flame itself or being prone either, it happens to imps not in the path of the Rolling Flame as well). Mostly the imps are untargetable and attacking, though a couple of times I've seen one entirely still and with it's wings still folded in etc., not doing anything. Probably they got killed before they even started 'waking up'.

However, if I change the scenario, send the Flame rolling but unstealth Eder before it hits the barrel such that the Imps are active and attacking as the barrel kills them (they all have to have noticed him I think), they just die properly. The amount of damage they get doesn't really change of course, and it is highly reproducible, so it must be the transition from 'sleeping' state they are in (it also happens if combat has already started, mostly with imps further back that haven't noticed yet).

I attached a screenshot of a pre-woken imp, it's to the right of Eder under the acid spit mood lighting. I also attached a (zipped) savegame to reproduce, for three different options (in all cases I'm assuming that the barrel blows immediately as it gets hit, but the Flame damage is almost always sufficient for that):

1) load and pause, have my main character send a Rolling Flame directly at the closest Gunpowder barrel, then unpause. This will first hit the nearest imp and initiate combat, and will subsequently blow the barrels and several imps with it. This is virtually guaranteed to turn some of the imps on the other side of the barrels dead but yet active and unkillable / untargetable.

2) load and pause, have my main character send a Rolling Flame directly at the closest Gunpowder barrel, select Eder and click to attack the spider, then unpause. Eder will become unstealthed before the Flame even starts rolling, all the imps will notice and start attacking, and will get blown to bits by the barrel without issue. 

3) load, and wait for the imps next to the nearest set of barrels to move away, then send in the Rolling Flame. This will blow the barrels and several imps (usually at least two) in their pre-woken state as in the screenshot, with combat not starting yet. If you then initiate combat and kill the other imps and the spider, the pre-woken imps frozen in place won't interfere with combat ending. 

By the way, I'm on Win 8.1 with latest 1.2 patch and all the DLC, if that matters. 

post-163298-0-04905800-1531080823_thumb.jpg

Caden Ash (c1167493-557c-4508-b30a-46acb4843015) quicksave.zip

• Like 1

Confirmed that untargetable enemies are back in 1.2. Triggers for me repeatedly when trying to attack Captain Furrante @ Balefire Beacon - they no longer attack like they did in 1.0, but they stand there invincible and prevent both combat and quest resolutions. 

Just had this for the first time, near the start of a new game. Latest version, everything is patched.

Loading before the fight in which it happened prevented it from happening in a second fight, so I'm not sure sending a saved game will show much. Is there anyway to force a save in combat so you can see what is actually happening at the time?

Any news from Devs in regards to this issue? Happens to me quite often in Old City ruins under Neketaka, when I engage multiple enemies at once, stuck in combat even as I am writing this message, because of one lousy un-targetable gul which at first kept following my group and missing all of it's attacks, and now it's "stuck" on plain smooth ground and just keeps "grinding" there. Happened often with those small grubs in area, but I was able to move away and thus lose the aggro,  happened with some rotghasts and now this...

Game's been running for a while now, also it seems to happen with enemies which spawn in large numbers and are, possibly, defeated instantly with some big attack or AoE, maybe also have some debuff of them (can't check that since I can't target the blasted thing), no AoE's or bombs or anything can kill it.

Salutations Morrie, 

We are currently investigating this issue, if you could send in a save file right before the encounter and an output log from when the issue is occurring that would help us greatly in getting the issue fixed.

so i am having this problem too in the The Forgotten Sanctum.  it is unplayable as a downed enemy in the battle against the wizard  refuese to get up after being downed and is un targetable. 
Every time i play it the same thing happens over and over.

This is still happening on v5.0.0.0040 on GOG
I encountered this bug in the Cavern of Xaur Tuk-Tuk. I aggroed the fire elemental and 2 xaurnips that were at the right-most part of the cave. After killing all 3 elements I wasn't able to target any of the xaurnips but they were still able to target the party, effectively softlocking the entire encounter. Saving and reloading didn't help. Exiting and Re-entering the cave didn't help. Restarting the game didn't help.
This is a game breaking bug and the only fix is to load a previous before the bug occurred, if you have one.

Here's a save file where the issue occurs, I forgot to include it in my first post. Although I have enabled mods, I don't think they're the cause for the issue. After disabling all mods and loading this save the bug still persists.
Here's the list of the mods I have enabled on the save:

- Everyone's Two Cents
- PoE2-EnhancedUserInterface
- CommunityPatchBasic
- CommunityPatchIcons
- CommunityPatchKeywords
- CommunityPatchTypos

The load order is the same how they're listed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rlzFGkGvKhtJ7AqKwSARctuD0LzPeo1i/view?usp=sharing