[Quests] Family Pride+Sinking Feeling - not a bug per se, but it feels like it

IndiraLightfoot

Question

I'm certainly not the only one picking Pallegina as a companion, and these quests can affect her inclusion in the party dramatically.

That's fine! :)

She even gives me as a player a stern warning that this family feud between Bardatto och Valera needs to be resolved for the sake of the Vailian trade company. My Pallegina is with the Brotherhood. She said that a few deaths were acceptible, but these important families for Vailia should not be eradicated.

And in my playthrough, I certainly agreed.

I had done most stuff pro-Vailian Trading Company in at that time 35 hours of playtime.

Also, I had made sure that I pleased Pallegina, so she had positive numbers in her relations with me.

Well, at the start of this quest duo, I made sure that the duel never ended bloodily.

I then talked to Ezzali Bardatto and Atello, very courteously and diplomatically.

I agreed to help them both with two small errands.

-I helped Ezzali with that Gullet vault heist gang at the Hole.

-And I helped Martino Valero with those Rauataian soldiers at the Mare.

Then I went out with the ship for a bit. Did one and a half island, like 2 hours playtime, and then sailed back to restock provisions.

While I was there, I decided to try to resolve the quests Sinking Feeling and Family Pride.

Note that in my journal all this time, it clearly stated that I was on a peaceful path for the Family Pride quest.

Nothing told me that I was doing anything wrong in that regard.

And Ezzali gave me a few rewards, and the quest updated, I even said to her that they should talk this though peacefully (She didn't want any slaughter of the Valera's - I even picked that suggestion line, and Ezzali refused - so everything seemed to be working.

But, when I went to Atello Valera, he was all of the sudden angry at his son, slapping his cheeks. When I asked what was going on, he told me that the vault robbery had been set in motion, and now I needed to save somebody down in the Bardatto vault. It suggested that I should try to talk some sense to the Vault keepers, even if they wouldn't be happy.

But a few clicks more in the convo trees of Atello and Martino, and I realize that even Atello suddenly only saw one solution - killing the entire Bardatto family! What the...?

And I also tried speaking to Ezzali once more, but she know thinks that I double-crossed her.

And at Atello, when I pick the convo line: "I've had enough of this family feud. I don't want any bloodshed," the Valeras go hostile.

After they've been defeated, Pallegina leaves my party, all decked out with the items I've invested in.

I even reloaded and tried doing the same at Ezzali- and when she get aggressive for no reason, once again, Pallegina just leaves, despite my good standing with her and the Vailian Trade company.

Well, that escalated quickly. I had done everything peacefully.

I had kept Pallegina and the Trading Company very happy.

And then, Bam! She just drops out of the party.

As Pallegina was important to me, I had to replay one and a half island, go back, scour the two quests and their convos, just to pick the absolutely super-duper peaceful options, and then I had to get them to meet there and then, Ezzali and Atello, since I suspect that the quest is on a timer.

My suggestion is that the Family Pride has some later opening for peaceful resolution as well. Imagine if I had played 10h more of the game with Pallegina.

Then I wouldn't have loved to replay that chunk. 

Just some feedback.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

9 answers to this question

Thr quest never escalated into violence for me. The order I did the questline including the decision I made, hope this helps:

1. Resolved the duell without bloodshed.

2. Talked to Ezzali and agreed upon looking into Valera plot. During the conversation, I also asked for peace talks, she agreed under the condition for me to speak about this to the Berdetto famaily.

3. Resolved the Valrea plot quest in the gullet.

4. Then I talked to the Berdettos, accepted Martino´s  quest to get rid of the Rauataian sailors at the mar.

5. Resolved the sailors quest peacefully. Upon returning, I asked Atello if he would agree to a meeting. He accepted.

6. Returned to Ezzali, turned in the Valera plot quest, then informed her that Atello agreed to a meeting.

7. Attended to the meeting and resolved the meeting with diplomacy.

The only thing I can think of that the vault quest is on a timer, because this never happened to me. I never left the city during the questline.If thats the case, the questlog should inform the player that this is urgent.There is another quest later on where it is more then obvious that the quest is on a timer and the log informs the player that you should do this as soon as possible.

Edited by Sarakash

I strongly suspect that this quest is put on a timer, but I haven't taken time to prove it yet.

Still, this urgency isn't reflected at all in the quest updates anywhere.

It would be very beneficial if we could be provided with a later out - it would be for those of us that thought we were following a reasonably peaceful path towards the quest resolution.

Alternatively - warn us that it is urgent timewise, and make quest updates which more clearly reflect that semi-peaceful choices won't do.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I ´d even argue that the game gives the impression that this isn´t urgent after dealing with Persa in the gullet.

I killed everyone involved except for Persa. There might be someone left to fallow through with the plot ofc, but the corrupt Valera guard lies dead on the floor, which one might consider as setback to the heist.

• Like 1

Funny thing: You can kill all guards in the Vault, ransack it, and then sneak out, and the Bardatto leader lady won't be any wiser. That's what I did after I had to reload and replay 1.5h, it's like my revenge.

i had no choice given except murdering someone.

I tried to turn them into a guard or even the queen, but it seems the only resolution the designers gave me was to murder a head of a family....

i had no choice given except murdering someone. I tried to turn them into a guard or even the queen, but it seems the only resolution the designers gave me was to murder a head of a family....

If you wait too long, it seems, this appears to hold true. What you need to do is get them to speak to each other fast. Everything else you do, if you didn't do exactly that, will just end in a bloodbath and Pallegina leaving.

This thread about these two quests and this thread:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98430-questfamily-pride-quest-bug-peaceful-solution-fails/

They clearly belong together.

The same goes for this thread under the Stories subforum:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98620-family-feud-peaceful-way-out/

I removed Pallegina from the party when I murdered the valeras and turned in the quest to ezzali, then added her back, and she doesnt leave. Is this a bug, intended, or is she going to walk out on me at random at some point?