Xoti's Lantern/Light of the Dawnstar Beneficial Spell Resistance

hippofant

Question

I am unsure if this is working as intended, but I suspect that it is not. Xoti's Lantern, when enchanted with the Light of the Dawnstar trait, causes various beneficial spells to be resisted by the party. In particular, casters can resist their own buff spells. Is this working as intended? If so, it makes for a very strange Priest item for Xoti to be using.

15 answers to this question

Rather than make a new thread I'll just post my issue with Light of the Dawnstar here. I cannot even get this upgrade, even though I have the item and the money needed to do it. The words "Light of the Dawnstar" are grayed out in the upgrade screen and the Enchant button doesn't work. I am using Windows 10.

The two Lantern enchants are apparently tied to how you completed Xoti's quest. https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99010-xotis-lantern-upgrades/

Edited by hippofant

Oh no. I hadn't noticed this yet as I just got the upgrade for her lantern prior to going to bed last night. I will update this post if I can confirm I am also experiencing my own party members resisting 22% of buffs!

• Like 1

The Ironman pain seeker in me says this is a features how does the item know what’s harmful or beneficial magic? but I know it’s a bug :)

Have gun will travel.

Spell Resistance, and Resist Hostile Spells are different things.

They really shouldn't be. Why would you ever want to resist a friendly spell? On top of that, why would you have a permanent upgrade for a Priest item that gives it an aura that imbues your party members with resistance to your own spells?

There's no way this is by design.

Hello,

Quick question here, I have to choose between good or evil Xoti, and I'd rather have her not becoming a serial killer.

But has the lantern bug been fixed  ? Does it still make your group resistant to buffs as well ?

If so there is no way I'm choosing that...

Thanks

Yup the outcome of Xoti's quest affects which enchantment is added to her lantern and her ending slide.

Spoiler

From the wiki:

" Based on how you guided Xoti in her quest you will be restricted to one of the two upgrades:

• Keep the souls (Dark): Threshing Aura
  • Release the souls (Light): Light of the Dawnstar "
2 hours ago, SenSx said:

But has the lantern bug been fixed  ? Does it still make your group resistant to buffs as well ?

It was fixed with Patch 1.1.0.0035  

On 6/7/2018 at 5:58 PM, David Benefield said:

Enchant Balance Changes

Xoti's Latern
Threshing Aura 1% Damage / Religion -> 0.25%.
Light of the Dawnstar 10% Resist -> 5%.
Light of the Dawnstar - Now only affects Hostile Spells.
Light of the Dawnstar 1% Resist / Religion -> 0.25%.

Edited by Kvellen