The language spoken by people like Palegina or Governor Clario.

I have always found it entertaining that it is more or less 25% latin (Palegina's Verus, that mean true in latin) and 75% italian with usually a letter or 2 changed in order to make it seems a different language.

It's nice to keep seeing a tribute to my native language in this game :grin:

(Most recent example : when you clear a certain mission, Clario will say "perfect" in Valian dialect. It is " Belfetto " . In italian, perfect is " Perfetto ", and it is pronunced exactly like Clario do. But with a P and a R instead of a B and L)

Edited by Matteo89.b
  • Like 3

Ciao!

Sono tedesco. Ho cominciato a imparare la lingua italiana un anno fa.

Che bella lingua! Mi piace molto!

Consequently, I like the Valian Dialect a lot, too, of course. And I always try to find the corresponding Italian word. Just as you said, when they say "belfetto" I think of "perfetto"! :)

• Like 3

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Outside of Assassin's Creed, most games tend to avoid outside accents like that. The huge irony in the Italian translation actually being bad when the language is mimicked... 

• Like 6

The huge irony in the Italian translation actually being bad when the language is mimicked... 

Yeah, that is a shame, really. Something should be done about that.

I know the work should not be left for the Italian gamers to do. But if they find Italian translation errors maybe there should be someone they can send the corrections to?

It should not be just left in that state if it's really so bad!

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Well, if Obsidian would hire me to correct the italian dialogs, sure.

Else, it's a job too big to do for free. If i was still in High School, i would have jumped on that opportunity.

But now, with a job comes also a seriously reduced amount of free time.

E quindi speriamo che prima o poi qualcuno corregga gli errori ortografici.

Together with Italian, it's also reminiscent of Catalan, Occitan, or some similar language, esp. in how words sound (like "Ducs Bels").

Belfetto is a composite of bel(lo) and fatto, I'd think.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

It would actually be neat to have options for character accents in the English for several national accents. Every player character ever is American, sometimes Brit, accent.

It's not a bad take on it, like you said it's mostly italian - Venice to be specific from a socio-economic standpoint, but almost all of the words are replaced, the male reproductive organ is bozzo when it's cazzo in italian. Vengiatta is vengeance when it's vendetta IRL and so on. 

I think it gives them a good sense of identity as it would have been pretty bland to just go with "make em the black faction" like they did with redguards in TES for examples.

Edited by Infiltrator_SF
tsgUO.gif

my only complaint would be that i'd really liked a character voice in the same dialect....

Make a voice set that just says gellarde in different tones. I'd use it.

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Vailian sound stupid and fun at the same time :D

It's a stupid idea to have all those people speaking like americans pretending an Italian speaking English in native accent and have all those made up words that are based on italian ones, but its fun because it adds to the world. At first I thought I'd bored with it quick, but no, I enjoy it :p

• Like 1

personally the main thing I noticed is 'Aimico' which very much makes me think VTC are also partly mexicans

Romance languages have many common words that sound alike. Like the word "friend" you're mentioning. But Vailians are based on Italians (Venecians more specific) as it is mentioned by the developers themselves.

Learned something disturbing: "duc". I've always thought of it as "duke", not "duck", dunno how I lasted that long thinking that.

I take it you mean the pronunciation? Because it is the same title.

personally the main thing I noticed is 'Aimico' which very much makes me think VTC are also partly mexicans

Romance languages have many common words that sound alike. Like the word "friend" you're mentioning. But Vailians are based on Italians (Venecians more specific) as it is mentioned by the developers themselves.

oh I knew that, I was just saying that rather than the other words, the main thing that sticks out for me is 'aimico'

For the 'Ducs' I've heard it pronounced both duke and ducks, so I think it depends a lot as well on who is saying it. And this is true of some other words, for example Mogwyr pronounces Dunryd differently to other people (in PoE1).

Edited by CAlmond
  • Like 1

Vailian sound stupid and fun at the same time :D

It's a stupid idea to have all those people speaking like americans pretending an Italian speaking English in native accent and have all those made up words that are based on italian ones, but its fun because it adds to the world. At first I thought I'd bored with it quick, but no, I enjoy it :p

Same here! I thought I would tire of it, as it often is a bit cheesy, to say the least, but it has grown on me a lot. It really lends something extra to the game, cultural flavour, which is unexpected in its intensity just because of this. Merda! This game is good.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***