Should Intelligence and Wisdom effect dialogue?

Should Intelligence and Wisdom effect your dialogue?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should Intelligence and Wisdom effect your dialogue?

• Yes, it makes Intelligence and Wisdom mean something.
    • No, it's a waste of developer time and energy.

In KOTOR, they didn't, which (with the uselessness of most skills) made Intelligence rather a wasted attribute.

Do you think they should stick with the KOTOR method, or go back to the traditional Black Isle approach of Intelligence and Wisdom effecting your dialogue options?

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

A funny thing in NwN, is if your PC has an intelligence lower than 9, he/she will lack the capacity to communicate with proper syntax, ;)

Yeah, it stole that straight from Fallout. :)

Intelligence did effect the game in KOTOR. The level of intelligence of your character allowed your PC to use less computer spikes, or parts when using the computer skill or repair skill. As far as wisdom goes, the wisdom skill made it harder for your enemies to resist your force powers like stun.

Intelligence did effect the game in KOTOR. The level of intelligence of your character allowed your PC to use less computer spikes, or parts when using the computer skill or repair skill. As far as wisdom goes, the wisdom skill made it harder for your enemies to resist your force powers like stun.

Yes, but I'm aware of that, but (while Wisdom was useful) Intelligence remained a pretty pointless attribute due to the uselessness of most skills.

First, there's no reason why Wisdom needs to be made more important. Since it directly influences the effectiveness of your force powers, Wisdom is already a power-stat. (And, secondarily, so is Charisma.)

I don't think that a full slate of 'idiot' responses are appropriate. Unlike Fallout, every response is being VO'ed. Thus, the costs of putting in a whole set of responses for the relatively low number of players who take on idiot-characters would be rather disproportionate.

Otherwise, I'm open to other ways to make intelligence a co-equal stat. Using it in dialogue would be nice (maybe replacing some of the riddles with straight-up character intelligence tests). Also, I think skills could be used more in dialogue. A character with a high computer use skill might actually be able to understand what T3 is saying. Lastly, and probably most likely, some of the new feats and PrCs should have a minimum intelligence requirement (Jedi master, assassin, etc.).

All this probably doesn't solve the problem. When I say that the stats should be co-equal, I mean that there should be just as great a reason to max INT in character creation as there is to max STR or DEX. In such a combat-heavy game, that's probably not too likely.

I don't think that a full slate of 'idiot' responses are appropriate. Unlike Fallout, every response is being VO'ed. Thus, the costs of putting in a whole set of responses for the relatively low number of players who take on idiot-characters would be rather disproportionate.

I agree there should not be any 'idiot' dialogues. With voice acting all through the game, it's simply not worth it for something that was mostly there as a joke anyway.

But allowing characters to, say, use wisdom and/or intelligence to reach insightful conclusions and ask the right questions of people? That wouldn't be such a stretch. It would have been cool if my high intelligence/wisdom character had figured out he was Revan before Malak said a word. :)

1. I don't think that a full slate of 'idiot' responses are appropriate. Unlike Fallout, every response is being VO'ed. Thus, the costs of putting in a whole set of responses for the relatively low number of players who take on idiot-characters would be rather disproportionate.

2. Lastly, and probably most likely, some of the new feats and PrCs should have a minimum intelligence requirement (Jedi master, assassin, etc.).

3. When I say that the stats should be co-equal, I mean that there should be just as great a reason to max INT in character creation as there is to max STR or DEX. In such a combat-heavy game, that's probably not too likely.

if you noticed, I numbered the paragraphs I wanted to respond to.

1. The player responses aren't being Vo'd. What might be funny, though admittedly out of character, is if the other characters totally ignored what they were actually saying. Certainly add some possible comic relief to the game. It would make it, in effect, extremely difficult for the PC to express themselves as they wished, which I thinks works just fine. Cutting out and pasting different parts might be used for effect. So, really, I'd be all for it, but I don't know how much the common audience would like it, and LA would very likely veto it.

2. I don't understand this at all, but alright. Maybe for feats, but not PrC's - doesn't make any sense to me.

3. Unless combat were avoidable for high-int characters that had learned to make their way without the other power stats in life. That is, most of the combat in the game would be cut out, and what little was left could easily enough be taken care of by the other party members. Basically this would balance things pretty evenly, if they did it right.

A funny thing in NwN, is if your PC has an intelligence lower than 9, he/she will lack the capacity to communicate with proper syntax, ;)

wrong my syntax is. stupid i seem to you? mmm. judge my by grammar you should not.

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

A funny thing in NwN, is if your PC has an intelligence lower than 9, he/she will lack the capacity to communicate with proper syntax,  ;)

wrong my syntax is. stupid i seem to you? mmm. judge my by grammar you should not.

Now all you need to do is substitute "I" with "me", and you'd have it perfect, lol!

:p

manthing2.jpg

No he needs to change my to me.

;) You're right Shdy. That would make him worthy of being sold into slavery, Fallout style.

aw, quit it arright! it was a typo, dammit!

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

I don't think a high intelligence should be necessary because KOTOR is an action-oriented-cinematic style RPG. It's not catered to social role-players. However, I would like to see atleast a few quests that could be resolved with dialouge options open to people with certain skill or attribute requirements. I'm a big fan of multiple resolutions for a given quest.