Would a Riptose (counter attack when missed) build be viable on Eder? I don't know his attribute distribution, proficiencies, or sub classes if I make him Rogue or Swashbuckler.

I know he uses Sabre(?)/Medium Shield over Dagger/Small Shield (which would be better I  think)

If I was to do this on the Watcher, I would just put Resolve up to 20, grab a Dagger and Small shield, and go Rogue/Fighter or Rogue/(Stalker)...

Watcher seems viable, so I was just curious if anyone had enough enough experience/info on Eder to help me know if a Riposte build would just realistically not work with him. 

Riposte fighter/rogue build is quite viable with Edér. You can use small shields anyway (since modal is the only thing you get for proficiency, proficiency-specific fighter talents are weapon-only). There is a very early unique saber (Edit: sorry actually a sword, but still works well) for Eder (temple on island on the way to neketaka) that adds +5 deflection and +15% damage if used with a shield. Also, you get free extra weapon proficiencies every few levels. Also get sword+shield style for another 6 deflection (and shield/deflection to dex).

Other things to consider: "Persistent Distraction" adds +1 engagement & makes engaged enemies "distracted" = -5 perception (better chance to miss -> riposted) and flanked (sneak attack! also better hit chance). Normally not that great for a rogue, but awesome for rogue/fighter. Add fighter "Guadian Stance" = autoattack+prone on disengagement, -5% damage per engaged and +3 max engagement.  With "overbearing guard", those disengagement attacks will deal plenty of damage (+50%) and easily hit (+15acc).  So engage up to 5 enemies for a very sticky Edér: Get tons of high damage sneak autoattack ripostes, or even higher damage sneak auto-attack knockdowns if they try to disengage.

Edited by pstone
  • Like 4

Aloth as Spellblade is excellent for this btw. Wizard has a handful of cheap, powerful and virtually instant (no recovery time) deflection buffs.

I like it with Hatchets as they have deflection boost built in, and the modal reduces enemy accuracy. I use dual wield because basically all of the rogue actives are full attacks.

Works great, you can get a large amount of +engagement, to even consider dual wielding while doing this (although it really hurts your deflection).  Having large piles of enemies clustered around one character, counting as flanked (Persistent Distraction) really ups your damage (there are a lot of Rogue companions, or +Flank damage items) as well as the +accuracy from the Flanking.

I have Eder in my party and have a version of this build for him, but I have some questions:

1) What is actually the chance of the Riposte proc when an enemy misses? If the proc is low, there is less point to this build.

2) What weapon(s)/shield would you suggest for this build? Right now I have Rännig's Wrath, it seems made for a riposte build. In the off-hand I have Tuotilo's Palm. It counts both as a Shield and a weapon, so I get both bonuses from Two Weapon Style and Weapon and Shield Style. Altso - since the Swashbuckler has a lot of full attacks (including the Riposte), the damage from Tuotilo's Palm is a nice bonus.

3) What other abilities (from Fighter and Rogue tree) would you take to make this build as good as possible (PotD)?

Edited by dejarik

I don't know if a Non Wizard can get their Deflection up high enough on PotD to get this working...  maybe maxing out downgrade (graze to miss) might help....  I heard Riposte was 20% trigger though, so not something to build around, more just a nice bonus.

I have Eder in my party and have a version of this build for him, but I have some questions:

1) What is actually the chance of the Riposte proc when an enemy misses? If the proc is low, there is less point to this build.

I'm not sure on the proc chance but it seems reasonably high. In my opinion the point isn't necessarily to have him be a super dodge tank that can riposte everything. I look at like this: he was going to be my main tank anyway, I would boost his deflection anyway and now when they miss he'll deal extra damage.