[release] The Bloody Blossom (new unique pollaxe)

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/10/

adds a new item to mahiri's shop in neketaka. 

mainly posting it here so people can ask me questions on how to do stuff like this. I think it's reasonably straight forward but here's more or less what I did:

-make a new file

-copy paste an item similar to what you want to make in there

-change the debug item name and ID (I added an ff prefix and started numbering it at 001. I don't think this will overlap with anything)

-edit whatever you want

-if you want to add unique attacks or abilities, copy paste similar ones in, change their debug name and id, and link them accordingly. ctrl-F the ID's to see where they need to be linked.

-add the name and description (see bmac's thread on this same board on how to do that, or just reference my mod, be sure to give it a unique ID)

• Like 7

Dude, you are our hero! There is a thread about the lack of uniques for certain weapon types.

How "unique" are we talking about? IE different enchantment upgrades or just a unique set of stats?

If you've figured out how to create various enchantment upgrades you have really opened things up to filling in the gaps for gear.

• Like 1

Mort, you said you copy and pasted an existing item. Where did you find that existing item? All I see are bundles unlike in PoE1 where each item had it's own file. Also, what do you mean you created a new file? What tools did you use?

i should note that i'm doing this in notepad++ with jsonviewer plugin https://sourceforge.net/projects/nppjsonviewer/

load that plugin then open one of the gamedatabundles, plugins -> jsonviewer -> format json

Dude, you are our hero! There is a thread about the lack of uniques for certain weapon types.

How "unique" are we talking about? IE different enchantment upgrades or just a unique set of stats?

If you've figured out how to create various enchantment upgrades you have really opened things up to filling in the gaps for gear.

someone on the somethingawful forums had a good idea for an item so I just went with that, haha

you can do just about whatever you want. this item has two modified class skills

-vile toxins (druid), modified to be combat only, recharge on encounter

-instrument of boundless rage (barbarian), modified to be per rest

it's not too hard, you can copy/paste the base ability and change what you want to. changing enchantment upgrades isn't hard, i forgot enchantment upgrades exist otherwise I would have added one!

adding those isn't too much different, enchantment upgrades are classified as "recipes", if you want to copy/paste those blocks. then you specify "parameters" + itemmodstoaddids" (what enchant is added), and "canmodifyspecificitemsids" (what item its specific to) 

Mort, you said you copy and pasted an existing item. Where did you find that existing item? All I see are bundles unlike in PoE1 where each item had it's own file. Also, what do you mean you created a new file? What tools did you use?

PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata\items.gamedatabundle

dont forget to give it a unique name in a separate string bundle (see my mod for an example of that)

• Like 1

The ".gamedatabundle" files are just text files containing JSON. They have no line breaks, so pulling out one thing is annoying unless you reformat them, but it's fairly simple.

Edited by HiddenWings

That JSON viewer plugin is godlike. If you're using the x64-bit version of Notepad++ however the one linked above won't work, google "Notepad++ JSON viewer x64 bit" instead and download that one.

I wanted to give pistols/guns a Bashing property so as to simulate a close-range thwak. Ideally what I'd love to do is make pistols fire in close-range when dual-wielded with melee, i.e. have the sword and the gun attack Two-Weapon Style when in melee range.

But for the life of me I can't find the freaking Bash property anywhere in items or statuseffects... was the name changed?

Edited by aweigh0101

i should note that i'm doing this in notepad++ with jsonviewer plugin https://sourceforge.net/projects/nppjsonviewer/

load that plugin then open one of the gamedatabundles, plugins -> jsonviewer -> format json

someone on the somethingawful forums had a good idea for an item so I just went with that, haha

you can do just about whatever you want. this item has two modified class skills

-vile toxins (druid), modified to be combat only, recharge on encounter

-instrument of boundless rage (barbarian), modified to be per rest

it's not too hard, you can copy/paste the base ability and change what you want to. changing enchantment upgrades isn't hard, i forgot enchantment upgrades exist otherwise I would have added one!

adding those isn't too much different, enchantment upgrades are classified as "recipes", if you want to copy/paste those blocks. then you specify "parameters" + itemmodstoaddids" (what enchant is added), and "canmodifyspecificitemsids" (what item its specific to) 

PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata\items.gamedatabundle

dont forget to give it a unique name in a separate string bundle (see my mod for an example of that)

Thanks! I actually have a dedicated JSON viewer. Can't remember exactly why, but it was also for game editing. The .unity3d files were a huge mess, and the Unity Asset Extractor didn't know what to do with those bundles.

First off, the program I was thinking of was an SQL viewer/editor. Second, Notepad++ plugin isn't working for me. I can view your file just fine, but the game files not working. I opened the game file in Notepad++ after installing the pluggin I then ctrl+alt+shift+J like the read me says, but it gives me an error saying I need to select a valid string.

I've dealt with JSON files before in other contexts, but I've never seen on like this. They always have looked like your file.

{
"GameDataObjects": [
{
"$type": "Game.GameData.WeaponGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
"DebugName": "mort_pollaxe",
"ID": "ff60c221-c081-465c-adef-082978056001",
"Components": [{
"$type": "Game.GameData.ItemComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
"DisplayName": 10500,
"DescriptionText": 10501,

and so on. But that isn't what the game files look like.

For that matter I tried Chrome extensions as well as an online editor and they all are returning garbage.

Given the nature of files like these it should be possible to view them as a database, but I can't find anything that would allow that. Of course I'd be happy with a nice text file too.
Edited by nstgc

First off, the program I was thinking of was an SQL viewer/editor. Second, Notepad++ plugin isn't working for me. I can view your file just fine, but the game files not working. I opened the game file in Notepad++ after installing the pluggin I then ctrl+alt+shift+J like the read me says, but it gives me an error saying I need to select a valid string.

I've dealt with JSON files before in other contexts, but I've never seen on like this. They always have looked like your file.

{
"GameDataObjects": [
{
"$type": "Game.GameData.WeaponGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
"DebugName": "mort_pollaxe",
"ID": "ff60c221-c081-465c-adef-082978056001",
"Components": [{
"$type": "Game.GameData.ItemComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
"DisplayName": 10500,
"DescriptionText": 10501,

and so on. But that isn't what the game files look like.

For that matter I tried Chrome extensions as well as an online editor and they all are returning garbage.

Given the nature of files like these it should be possible to view them as a database, but I can't find anything that would allow that. Of course I'd be happy with a nice text file too.

PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata\items.gamedatabundle? 

Where i can find items and abilities code?

PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata

PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata\items.gamedatabundle?  

Yes. I tried the other ones too. Could you post a screen shot of your editor with the file open? I'm very eager to fix the summoned weapons (and the spells that summon them).

Edited by nstgc

Ah, see now.

Little confused bcs json string too long, so i missed "items" part when scrolled.

nstgc,

This is mine

post-211429-0-25226700-1526223734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zzz

Ah, see now.

Little confused bcs json string too long, so i missed "items" part when scrolled.

nstgc,

This is mine

attachicon.gif1.jpg

I'm getting the stuff on the right, but not on the left. How is that searchable?

Edited by nstgc

Mort, thanks for the info about enchantments.

So basically (keeping it simple)

Create Unique Weapon

Create Recipes that are "upgrades" for said weapon

Then all you'd have to do is list on the unique weapon the valid "recipes" for upgrades.

Oi, did you chose your item ID randomly or is there some reason behind it? Just trying to understand how crap works right now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Oi, did you chose your item ID randomly or is there some reason behind it? Just trying to understand how crap works right now.

randomly

i took the item i used as a template (some pollaxe) and changed the first two digits and last three digits.

unless someone also uses the same item as a template and also does the same thing using the exact same numbers, theres no way they would match.

the way elder scrolls game communities do it is you put your name as a prefix, but the id in this only takes hex (0-F) so i just did ff

e: you can use this if you really want to lol https://www.uuidgenerator.net/

Edited by mortimermcmire

Are the mods working "on the fly"? E.g. what happens if I already visit that trader from your mod, will the item still appear? I've done a quick look and couldn't find it, despite putting the overwrite folder, etc. into xxx_Data folder.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Are the mods working "on the fly"? E.g. what happens if I already visit that trader from your mod, will the item still appear? I've done a quick look and couldn't find it, despite putting the overwrite folder, etc. into xxx_Data folder.

It depends on the data that's being modified.  In this case, you probably need the trader to regenerate their inventory, which should happen if you wait about 24 hours.