Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What do you think, should the Blessing of Berath to be changed or removed for PotD difficulty?

PotD Blessing of Berath index

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the Blessing of Berath to be changed or removed for PotD difficulty? (119 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the Blessing of Berath to be changed or removed for PotD difficulty?

1. No, it hardly makes a difference (79 votes [66.39%])

Percentage of vote: 66.39%

2. Removed - it gives too many advantages (14 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. Changed/nerfed - it gives too many advantages, so should be changed/nerfed (2 votes [1.68%])

Percentage of vote: 1.68%

4. Partially Changed/nerfed/removed - some gifts are harmless and others are too strong (7 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

5. I will never play PotD, so i don't care (17 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ppscurry

ppscurry

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

To be honest, only the stats blessing is anything substantial, everything else is quality of life. Explored map? You would have gotten it for free with some time spent anyway. 50k gold? You will be swimming in that stuff soon enough. The vendor is useful for wizards. Fine quality, lul. 5k gold, lul. Lvl 4, lul. Expert captain, lul.

Zeitzbach

Zeitzbach

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 336 posts

No reason to remove them. If anything, this game promote multiple playthrough than even the first one and Berath blessing is a major assist tool for it.

It's also an option anyway so you can either choose to use it or not use it. Removing options is never a good idea. That and like Sonny states, I kinda wish people stop turning every PvE game into some kind of self-gimp hard mode epeen contest.

"i kinda wish people stop turning every PvE game into some kind of self-gimp hard mode epeen contest."

This is the problem right here, the extreme ignorance of those that either can't handle harder difficulties or just don't like to be challenged. 

Here is why i play harder difficulties and it's not to try stretch my epeen:

"It doesn't seem like a very important thing and some may see it as just for a few wannabe hardcore players, but the reason why i play the hardest difficulty is it brings out the mechanics best in a game and makes the progression that much more rewarding. You need to know how to play a game properly and use all of its mechanics - on easier difficulties there's no point in even having half the mechanics in a game, thereby dumbing it down. You never want to dumb down gameplay in a game, or have that as the only option. Which is why i believe higher difficulties are the pinnacle of a game and the reason why balancing the harder difficultys imo is one of the most important things there is."

Or you know, you can go through and faceroll on normal and not need half the mechanics (especially in an awesome tactical pause-based RPG combat system, with tons of variety and depth) dumbing the game down into nothing more than an interactive novel.

Gl with that, just don't persecute me for wanting more...

There's a reason why it's an optional bonus.

Hard core players don't get persecuted for making their own life harder. They get persecuted when they keep pushing their own definition of hard on everyone else by being a louder minority. No one likes to hear it when someone go "Good job BUTTttTTTttt I did it better!"

• Karkarov, rheingold and Sylph_14 like this

DaKatarn

DaKatarn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts
I think special achievements can be the solution. I didn't see difficulty achievement moreover.

In an other hand, Blessing of Berath options for more challenging game is very stimulant too. For this moment, Deadfire is a sweet walk in the park even in "POTD" but Normal and Veteran are also too easy.

DaKatarn

DaKatarn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts

No reason to remove them. If anything, this game promote multiple playthrough than even the first one and Berath blessing is a major assist tool for it.

It's also an option anyway so you can either choose to use it or not use it. Removing options is never a good idea. That and like Sonny states, I kinda wish people stop turning every PvE game into some kind of self-gimp hard mode epeen contest.

"i kinda wish people stop turning every PvE game into some kind of self-gimp hard mode epeen contest."

This is the problem right here, the extreme ignorance of those that either can't handle harder difficulties or just don't like to be challenged.

"It doesn't seem like a very important thing and some may see it as just for a few wannabe hardcore players, but the reason why i play the hardest difficulty is it brings out the mechanics best in a game and makes the progression that much more rewarding. You need to know how to play a game properly and use all of its mechanics - on easier difficulties there's no point in even having half the mechanics in a game, thereby dumbing it down. You never want to dumb down gameplay in a game, or have that as the only option. Which is why i believe higher difficulties are the pinnacle of a game and the reason why balancing the harder difficultys imo is one of the most important things there is."

Or you know, you can go through and faceroll on normal and not need half the mechanics (especially in an awesome tactical pause-based RPG combat system, with tons of variety and depth) dumbing the game down into nothing more than an interactive novel.

I'm totally agree with you, Potd ( and Veteran too IMO) are the way for used ALL aspects of the deep mechanics and tactics of the game ( crafting, spell, bonus rest, theorycraft, building levelling, team synergy and roleplay choice).

If this levels of difficulty can be completed without this skills and level of comprehension it's a shame and a real trouble. If this mechanics are in the game it's not for nothing...

Playing a CRPG without challenging and without pain is good for easy or normal, not for more.

Edited by DaKatarn, 13 May 2018 - 07:59 AM.

DaKatarn

DaKatarn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts

There's a reason why it's an optional bonus.

Hard core players don't get persecuted for making their own life harder. They get persecuted when they keep pushing their own definition of hard on everyone else by being a louder minority. No one likes to hear it when someone go "Good job BUTTttTTTttt I did it better!"

And a reward for difficulty must be a real reward for a minimum of pain, if it's an automatic formality it's just an egalitarian joke.

If Veteran or POTD are too difficult, stay in Normal and you are not made for more and the ultimate reward. It's not a shame, it's why many levels of difficulty are here.

Edited by DaKatarn, 13 May 2018 - 08:06 AM.

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 881 posts

BoB are great idea, especially starting money and level up, could make rerolling more fun.

More stats could be good for experiencing all dialogue options.

You are not forced to pick any BoB.

There could be Skaen Curses which will make game harder.

• Karkarov, rheingold, Anouschnei and 3 others like this

Thibax

Thibax

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts

No need to change or remove.

I liked the blessing options.

It's optional.

• Karkarov and nstgc like this

Isometric Chicken

Isometric Chicken

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

What do you think, should the Blessing of Berath to be changed or removed for PotD difficulty?

Why? If you don't like them, don't use them. They are entirely optional.

• Karkarov, rheingold, Anouschnei and 3 others like this

nstgc

nstgc

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It hardly makes a difference for most players tbh. The vast majority of players don't actually play this to get a challange, they play it for the story. I don't want it easy, but I have no need for being punished either. I would not mind if BoB was gone either.

I think its a shame so many people use RPG's to hunt achivements and promote themselves, instead of simply playing the game and enjoying them. Nobody is forcing anyone to use BoB

We speak only about POTD diffculty, the purpose of which challenge. If you don't want challange, just choose a veteran. IMO, BoB ruin the purpose of PotD.

And if they want a challenge they can play without BoB.

Zeitzbach

Zeitzbach

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 336 posts

And a reward for difficulty must be a real reward for a minimum of pain, if it's an automatic formality it's just an egalitarian joke.

If Veteran or POTD are too difficult, stay in Normal and you are not made for more and the ultimate reward. It's not a shame, it's why many levels of difficulty are here.

The "I suffered more than you" mentality will never end.

They disabled BoB and added achievmenet? "Why is there no 'Solo only' achievement?!?!"

They added solo achievement? "HAha you play op class"

The player decide to play the class considered to be weakest? "Haha I killed this at level 1"

It's a single-player game and we are all on the same level playing field. People need to stop sitting on the backseat developer chair and just play the game. If it becomes too easy for them then go ahead and strip all the equipment, just don't demand everyone to follow.

Edited by Zeitzbach, 13 May 2018 - 11:01 AM.

Sotof

Sotof

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There is no good reason to remove it for PotD. If you think it makes the game too easy then don't use it. The same reason I never do iron man or expert mode is because they deny two things I like: saves in case of bugs and important gameplay info. I don't demand them removed, I just don't use them.

• InsaneCommander and nstgc like this

DaKatarn

DaKatarn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts

They disabled BoB and added achievmenet? "Why is there no 'Solo only' achievement?!?!"
The player decide to play the class considered to be weakest? "Haha I killed this at level 1"

It's a single-player game and we are all on the same level playing field. People need to stop sitting on the backseat developer chair and just play the game. If it becomes too easy for them then go ahead and strip all the equipment, just don't demand everyone to follow.

It is an unfounded accusation IMO or a sort of complex of susceptibility.

Nobody will force you to be a hardcore RPG gamer. We want just difficulty for...difficulty Levels.
You can live without the hardcore achievement unlocked I think.
Not nothing more nothing less, it is a just and justifiable position.

Zeitzbach

Zeitzbach

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 336 posts

Nobody will force you to be a hardcore RPG gamer. We want just difficulty for...difficulty Levels.

PotD being too easy atm has absolutely nothing to do with BoB though.

BoB is optional.

PotD being undertuned isn't.

Aiming the pitchfork at BoB in an attempt to bandage fix PotD isn't the right direction.

Dongom

Dongom

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 270 posts

The problems with POTD have nothing to do with BoB.

It's way too easy either way and the scaling doesn't even work. 

syphonhail

syphonhail

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Blessing of Berath is 100% Optional. Its player choice. If someone wants to complain that it made POTD too easy its their own fault.

Nobody put a gun to their head and forced them to use it. If they truly desired a challenge they wouldn't have used it.

It should stay as its currently implemented.

• InsaneCommander likes this

DaKatarn

DaKatarn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts

PotD being too easy atm has absolutely nothing to do with BoB though.
BoB is optional.
PotD being undertuned isn't.
Aiming the pitchfork at BoB in an attempt to bandage fix PotD isn't the right direction.
I'm agree with you on this point, I was off because behind this topic we can see the philosophical choices for difficulty as source of debate.

Edited by DaKatarn, 13 May 2018 - 12:07 PM.

nstgc

nstgc

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Seems like an accurate accusation to me. There is a group of people demanding/suggesting the removal of a game feature because they feel the game is too easy. Thing is that thing they want removed is optional, so there is no need to remove it. All that does it make that groups play style mandatory (even if only in a certain case) for another group. Why remove the option? Because one group thinks their way of playing is better or can't be bothered to control which options they select?

Sotnik

Sotnik

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Steam:76561198056541314

Oh, I wasn't even aware of these.

*shrug* people who like a challenge, or people who like a well balanced experience, won't choose them. People who are too busy, like god mode, or are experimenting with weird options, can use them (as well as the console). I don't see an issue. It's not like I need to prove to anybody that my achievement badges (whatever they are) are real or whatever.

Whenever I see such a feature in a game my first idea is that the highest difficulties are balanced towards using that feature. Some games are designed in such a way that you cannot beat them on the highest difficulty without using it.

I still hope there will be difficulty achievements and I hope they will limit application of Blessings. As for PotD in general, I see no harm in allowing them.

That being said, I think the vote lacks an important option.

Edited by Sotnik, 13 May 2018 - 01:37 PM.

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts

Considering its optional... what would even be the point?

• InsaneCommander likes this

DaKatarn

DaKatarn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts
Bug

Edited by DaKatarn, 13 May 2018 - 02:10 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PotD, Blessing of Berath, index

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users