Modwyr wants to talk, but we can't!

tarventis

Question

Hi tech team!

Having a blast so far playing through as a rogue. I found the awesome talking sword Modwyr and soulbound it to my character even though I'm not proficient, because it just seemed so cool!

Unfortunately, I seem to have stalled a bit in the progression of the item. I have a buff on my character called Modwyr's empathy, saying that Modwyr wants to talk to me. Try as I might, though, I can't seem to initiate that conversation. I've tried clicking on the icon for the buff, clicking on the sword in my inventory. Everything that I could think of.

Is there something that I'm missing, or is it possible that there is a bug?

13 answers to this question

I have it equipped. It didn't want to talk to me until after I had completed a requirement within the item's description. "Kill one kith" or something like that. I still have Modwyr equipped, but I still cannot initiate a conversation, despite having the icon seemingly indicate I should be able to.

Just as more info in case someone else can help me debug, I have tried equipping and un-equipping the item. I have tried to save and reload the game. I have tried moving maps.

Edited by tarventis

You either right click the icon of the weapon, or, while it's equipped and you are selecting the Watcher, there should be a 'talk' button like there is with companions which should launch the talking to the sword.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Hmm, thanks Jakl201. Unfortunately, there is no talk button on the Watcher's portrait. And right-clicking on the Modwyr icon doesn't start the conversation either. I haven't had her talk to me since the first conversation. Interestingly, at some point the detail in the sword description that said "Talk with Modwyr 0/1" changed to "Talk with Modwyr 1/1," although I never spoke with the sword.

Hopefully other people have experienced this bug and we get a fix. I'm curious about this part of the story...

I think I might know the reason for this. Normally, when you hit the requirements for a soulbound level, a dialogue opens automatically with Modwyr once combat ends. If you maybe hit the requirements during a ship boarding action or something, maybe when combat ended the game transitioned to the world map immediately and you didn't get that conversation, but the game thinks you did? But not enough to properly progress the quest?

• Like 1

Hmm, thanks Jakl201. Unfortunately, there is no talk button on the Watcher's portrait. And right-clicking on the Modwyr icon doesn't start the conversation either. I haven't had her talk to me since the first conversation. Interestingly, at some point the detail in the sword description that said "Talk with Modwyr 0/1" changed to "Talk with Modwyr 1/1," although I never spoke with the sword.

Hopefully other people have experienced this bug and we get a fix. I'm curious about this part of the story...

When looking at the weapons description, there is no button to talk to it at the bottom? Hmm...Bug I suppose.

And at KaiG's post, that could be it, but I did the same thing to level up Modwyr (ships are the best chances to kill kith after all) but it upgraded fine. I had to initiate a manual talk with the sword is all. 

• Like 1

Welp, unfortunately, I have missed a bit. I ended up finishing the sword's quest without ever really talking to it. I feel like a missed a bit of the story, but at least I was able to get some resolution without being able to talk to the blade.

Is there any official way to submit a bug report to Obsidian?

Reporting a bug here is official; you'll see Obsidian staff posting here collecting bugs (threads they've posted in are marked OBS)

The details of how to report a bug are in this thread - https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97377-how-to-report-a-bug/

Before posting:

Please do a quick search of our forums to make sure what you have found has not already been reported. If it has, feel free to post your experience on that that thread. If not, start a new thread with the directions below.

Description:

Describe the issue that is occurring.

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:

List the steps of how to make the issue happen.

Important Files:

If the files are too large to attach separately, compile them all in a .zip and make a link to Dropbox with the .zip

Attach files that will help the dev team figure out and resolve the issue. These include:

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity II

MACOS: ~/Library/Application Support/ Pillars of Eternity II

Linux: $XDG_Data_Home/PillarsofEternityII

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\output_log.txt

GOG Location: \GOG\Games\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\output_log.txt

GOG Galaxy: \GalaxyClient\Games\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\output_log.txt

OSX Location: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

System Specs

This will give us most of your computer specs to help us diagnose the problem

Windows Location: Press (windowkey + R), Type "dxdiag" and press Enter, Click "Save All Information", Attach the file that you create

Screenshots

Attach any pictures or links to pictures that can help us understand the issue

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hello tarventis,

Thanks for the post! We are experiencing a bug with Modwyr and have it in for a fix in the future. Sorry this bug has been plaguing you, but I am glad you're having fun with the game!

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

It's been more than a year since the last post.  I'm still having the same problem.  I used to be able to talk to the sword, I equipped other weapons and when I went back to it the talk function is gone.  Is there any word on the status of fixing this?