Wyrmtongue cannons are the fire cannons that have 0-400 range, they're pretty awesome.

This wasn't a Wyrmtongue.  It did only 2 less max and min damage than a Heavy Bronzer, which is considerably harder hitting than a Wyrmtongue.  I have only seen it on enemy ships though, specifically enemy ships in a certain area I won't name cause this is the non spoiler forum.

Also seriously, once you have expert or better cannoneers, all double bronzers, and a junk so 5 guns per side, it really only takes two salvos and it is over.  Ship combat is very very easy once you have the money to fund the best ship components.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

I agree with the author on most of his points. The problem with the misplaced accents is that they are immersion breaking. This is an RPG right? Breaking immersion is a bad thing with RPG's. I have the southern accents too.

Ship combat is pretty bad. The best way to fight is to simply board and duke it out. All you need to do is have more bodies (1/2 ratio seems to be enough) and you will likely win without lifting a finger even on PotD.  So just create some custom NPC. Not ship workers, but rather actual usable NPC's. They spawn on deck during battle and help you out and I believe NPC's dont eat or get paid either (not sure about this).

The problem with fighting ship to ship is it does not seem efficient. Every shot costs money, healing takes forever and costs tons of medical supplies. You have to repair your boat, etc etc. Its just not worth it when you can just steamroll them by boarding with no penalties except maybe a rest injury which is instantly healed.

Yeah, people just making up words are the worst! Like that Tolkien person, what a douche

Seriously, I hadn't read the OP until now, absolute train wreck of a post.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 2

Have to agree on the ship combat. It fits the theme, and if it wasn't there the game might feel a bit odd, but overall it's just pointless **** you have to do occasionally.

I love the Vailians and the different 'weird' words though, they generate a nice illusion of depth for the story.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I actually think the ship combat system shows a lot of promise; if you dive into it with an open mind there's actually a lot of strategy to it. The problem is that it's completely unconnected to the boarding system, so unless you're planning on sinking a ship there's no point in ever firing on it.

I don't mind that there are plenty of crew left to fight even if you kill of the deckhands/canoneers (after all, your companions and sidekicks join the fight unharmed even if your crew takes damage), but the ship needs to reflect what happened during battle when you board it. Creating damaged ship models might be too expensive, but they could at least add some fire/smoke zones based on hull damage to spice up the fights a little and give an advantage to the ship that took the least damage. If you're in a Voyager with 5 hull left trying to board a Galleon that took no damage, it should be much harder than the other way around.

They did say in the recent Q&A that they're aware that a lot of people are unsatisfied with the system and are looking into ways of improving it, so at least there's that.

• Like 2

It is a complete waste of time since just boarding the ship is quicker and more effective, I really wish you could carry unlimited medicine just like food and water. It's absolutley stupid that I can carry 500 food and 500 beer but only 100 medicine.

Edited by Dodo00d

I don't really mind it, but it became pointless after mid game. Eventually the seas were empty aside from some merchants. IMO, ship encounters should have been handled with the SKILL system which would lead to different outcomes, but of course you would keep boarding fights in the event the two crews couldn't come to another compromise.  

Would easily trade ship combat for a 6th party member (in terms of the man hours I'm sure ship combat costed Obsidian). 6 member party, which was a staple feature of the genre this series is based on 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy

I'm pondering writting a negative review of this game just due to how bad ship to ship combat is. It feels so badly implemented and out of place in game like this.

I had fights where I would chase the enemy ship for 10 turns or more, trying to hit it, missing, going left, going right, and then after 15minutes instead of trying to sink them, they board you and you are 4v20 and die in 2 seconds...like who thought this system through, who though this would be fun?

This game so far is miles belowed PoE. Right now I'd almost call it a bad game.

Some other irks:

- hate the narrator

- hate the stupid english-italian accent

- hate the inclusion of unknown words that you constanly have to hover to see what the NPC is talking about

- hate the rations ship system

Funny Life. 3 out of 4 you listed is some of my favourite parts of the game.

Valian accent is absolutely glorious to listen to.

Unknown words just increase the immersion for the world for me to a next level. Wish more games did this.

Narrator is really nice to listen to aswell

The whole Valian language added to the game is just such a great immersion increasing RPG element really, you feel finally like you are talking to another culture, instead of everyone talking english.

• Like 3

I agree that it gets boring after a while, mainly due to being very repetitive. In the early levels, I tried different strategies and actually fought some enemy ships with cannon fire, but at some point, I just ended up pressing "1111111111" in every battle.

Ship to ship combat has some.... interesting AI choices. Like a starboard turn followed by a port turn to just go back to facing your ship head-on then advancing for a turn then turning again, holding, then reassigning crew when all I've been doing is approaching at full speed.

Also there's no reason ever to ram, you can pull up alongside just fine even at 1 meter short of your max move. I'm legitimately unsure of why ramming is a thing. It's never the right option that I've seen.

You know what would make ship battles better??? If they were narrated.

*drops mic and runs out of room.....

I admit it, I laughed.

Ship to ship combat has some.... interesting AI choices. Like a starboard turn followed by a port turn to just go back to facing your ship head-on then advancing for a turn then turning again, holding, then reassigning crew when all I've been doing is approaching at full speed.

Also there's no reason ever to ram, you can pull up alongside just fine even at 1 meter short of your max move. I'm legitimately unsure of why ramming is a thing. It's never the right option that I've seen.

I think the last patch enhanced the AI.  I have no run into "light fast" ships that don't even try shooting at me anymore and just go for a ram every time, because they know gun to gun they can't beat me.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1