[Map load errors] Unable to Continue Playing

Aliasunkown

Question

1) installed the game, played a few hours 

2) deleted ALL the saves (no "continue" or "load" option avalible, only "new game")

3) tried to create a new character

4) have been returned to the main menu wtih "There was an error loading the next map. Returned to Main Menu to prevent save game corruption." message

output_log.txt

Hi! As of today, I have come to experience a really frustating bug: I'm unable to enter on Neketaka because everytime I try I recieve the following error:

post-170035-0-38136800-1526156256_thumb.png

Thus, I can't progress any futher on the game. I have tried everything that came on my mind: reinstalled the game, set it to run as administrator, tried brainless to enter the city despite the bug, only to see if something else hapenned, well, nothing worked.

My output_log, savegames and system info can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kdpqwDVruzdqyvBDK-BvwV9ZuL6B9fEI

Thank you very much for your attention and I'm sorry if something seems out of place as english is not my first language. :p

• Like 2

I had this problem just now, and it happened with multiple save files. I was about to do a "nooooooooooooooo...!", but before I got to that point, exited and had steam verify the files. Although the check came up with no erronoeous files, relaunching the game appears to have resolved the issue.

Aye, try verify/repair the installation first. Hopefully that helps.

I tried that! One time before reinstalling and another after. Both didn't work, the bug persisted. :(

I had this problem just now, and it happened with multiple save files. I was about to do a "nooooooooooooooo...!", but before I got to that point, exited and had steam verify the files. Although the check came up with no erronoeous files, relaunching the game appears to have resolved the issue.

Man I'm envying you so much right now! I tried verifying one more time: still didn't worked, so I'm pretty much saying "nooooooooooooo...!" now. Even so, I'm glad you could fix it so easily — have fun playing! :p

I guess I'll have to wait for some mod/dev to help me (as I tried playing with other saves, but the same bug happened over and over again) , but thanks guys. :)

I found Oathbinders Sanctum and when I got to level two and descended the stair I got a popup roughly saying 

'cannot generate map due to possibly corrupting save files.'

So i tried to save the game and nothing happened. 

After a couple of more times trying I found I can no longer save my game or load any save file.

So I managed after multiple restarts to exit the Oathbinders Sanctum and sail away, and still i am unable to load or save. 

Now I am stuck on the main menu with 30 hours of gameplay gone since i can no longer load a save file due to them all being 'corrupted' or something.

Suddenly happened. My last 5 saves won't load anymore. Maybe because of the talking item manager? Seems like my playthrough is over now as I'm not going to redo the last few hours of play.

Including lines leading up to the error and the offending callstack from the output log:

------- BEGIN LEVEL LOAD INITIATED --------        Pending level = RM_WorldMap_Forest_01.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 17)

Unloading 2891 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 118251.
Total: 538.803650 ms (FindLiveObjects: 9.702377 ms CreateObjectMapping: 4.237914 ms MarkObjects: 409.961182 ms  DeleteObjects: 114.901329 ms)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Game.TalkingItemManager.PostLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.SaveLoadManager+<HandlePostLoadProcessing>c__IteratorB.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.SaveLoadManager+<RestorePersistenceData>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.SceneLoadManager+LoadedScene+<SceneLoadRoutine>c__Iterator2.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
Game.<SceneLoadRoutine>c__Iterator2:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

" there was an error loading the next map returned to the main menu to prevent save file corruption solved" is the message i get from my last 4 saves. Everything before those 4 seems to work, but it puts me back 20 hours of gameplay or more. I used my POE import and this is happening to saves while heading toward a fight with a certain lich on top of the orrery. is there a fix for this anywhere? i can't seem to track anything down.

I am having the exact same issue. "Error loading next map. Returned to main screen to prevent file corruption." 

This is on an Iron Trials run, I am pretty frustrated that my ONLY save seems to not work. 

I managed to get the game working again by closing out and verifying file integrity with Steam. Not sure what (if anything) that did, but afterwards there was an unusually long loading screen, an unusually long black screen, and a couple second of stuttering before finally loading up and playing fine. This was actually a huge relief compared to the error message I was getting a couple hours ago. 

But the relief didn't last long. Loaded in, sailed around (less than two minutes), got into a nautical battle, almost died, quit out, tried to load back in, same error message. 

same exact scenario happening twice in a row. I thought that maybe it was something obscure having to do with the iron trials things, but the guy who posted before me has more than one save (clearly not the iron trials). 

As a note (maybe it helps), but the guys that i ran into seemed like the EXACT same vessel that attacked me the first time the error happened. cant remember the name of their captain, but It was the same extreme difficulty, same purple flag, same number of guys, they used all the same tactics and spells, they boarded me as fast as they could, and my whole team was almost wiped out in under 60 seconds. I had not had an encounter like that so far in the whole game (I am only level 5 or 6, but i am very thorough, been playing for like 20 hours) and this one seemed identical. So maybe it has to do with that specific encounter? Devs, please help!

I will try to get it running again and test to see if re-saving after getting it running fixes the problem. Will post results afterwards.

Update:

Did not have to verify file integrity on steam. 

"Continue" repeated the error.

Closing out, reopening and hitting "Load" worked

Re-saving after re-loading seems to make both "load" and "continue" both work fine.

Will seek out nautical battle to the south with purple pirates and let you know what happens.

Confirmed that the ship causing the problem was The Faelandig captained by Ruddy Rabel.

I actually beat it this (3rd) go round and the loading problem didn't happen, so I could not confirm if there was a difference between hitting "load" or "continue" after quitting the fight. But I did confirm that there seems to be a correlation between (quitting and reloading) and the error occurring.

It's either due to the encounter with that particular ship;

Or due to "quitting" mid-fight during a naval battle (after boarding eachother's ship) and pressing "continue" instead of "load" at the main screen to retry;

Or both.

Just to reiterate to all the players out there feeling frustrated, take these steps before breaking your keyboard:

1. Completely exit your game.

2. Verify your Steam install. (just once, just to be sure)

3. Reopen game and press [Load] instead of [Continue].

4. Leave area and save elsewhere, if possible.

5. Exit game, relaunch, try to load saved game.

please post if anyone has found another temporary fix until the devs get it handled.

Just to reiterate to all the players out there feeling frustrated, take these steps before breaking your keyboard:

1. Completely exit your game.

2. Verify your Steam install. (just once, just to be sure)

3. Reopen game and press [Load] instead of [Continue].

4. Leave area and save elsewhere, if possible.

5. Exit game, relaunch, try to load saved game.

please post if anyone has found another temporary fix until the devs get it handled.

Tried that, step by step, didn't worked. :(

Hi, I have the same issue. My last 5 saves won't load. I tried verifying files on Steam, didn't work. I am able to load a 20-hour old save. Here is a link to the saves that won't load:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/badskfbo7yp75b0/AABSMM7vcCYIe6taKpWWmN8Oa?dl=0

Hope to see a fix soon. Until then I'm going to shelf the game.

Edit: Attached output_log.txt and DxDiag.txt

Edited by GuyNice

Fortunately that didn't happened to me, but i had similar issue with other game in the past (save game corruption)

Someone totally stuck have tried to remove (make a backup first) of C:\Users\your user\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity II\CurrentGame ?

It's a hidden folder

That should remove any info about your current game , clear the problematic files and maybe fix the issue (at least for new game)

Edited by kilay