Hey,

Since BG1 i'm in love with the Fighter/Mage Combination, that means a Melee Char with Spells most times to Buff youself or to finish a important target from a longer distance. The best Part of this Class is it was self substainable a well balanced Group was an addition and not neccecary, you could beat the Game alone. My Problem is after i read a bit, it looks like Magic/Melee Multiclasses are not really that strong. Am i wrong, if yes which Multiclass could do this Job? If not which Class could be a good alternative?

Mage/Fighter is plenty strong - it's the summoned weapons that seem a bit meh.

There's plenty of nice self-buffs in there for wizards that cast quickly - and now that we can tell our guys to auto-cast, buffing for every fight won't be a chore like in POE1.

This is what I'm trying to figure out, as someone who didn't play the beta and doesn't know much about the game at all.

I've currently started a Wizard (Conjurer) Monk (Helwalker)

Not sure really how good this combo is, I need to play more of it - The idea is to use the Staff from Wizard Level 1 to heal and help offset the damage from wounds, using swift strikes means I should be attacking a fair bit therefore healing a fair bit - In theory, I hope this means Helwalker won't just keel over a die to a gust of wind - And then going from there, using summonded weapons - auras, buffs and debuffs from mage and the usual stuff from monk..

Wish I could be of more help, know bugger all about it myself or if there is an alternative that just gonna be better.

The annoying thing is - I could defensively buff my wizard to high noon defensively- but then I'm not gaining wounds I don't think, so maybe the synergy isn't really there. Dunno

Edited by SamOftheUels

While I haven't done these combos myself I'm fairly certain there are some powerful ones.

The Wizard have som insane deflection spells with very long duration. You could use that in combination with the unbroken fighter for a kickass tank.

For dps you  could use the same principle  with deflection-spells with the streetfighter rogue and its reposte-ability to mass-murder the opponents while tanking them.

The drawback for both of these is the hassle of buffing ad nauseam.

Another dps spellcaster-option is the acendant cipher and the soulblade cipher. They increase damage for weapons passively while also being able to cast spells. Ok for many dps-multiclass. And no self-buff hassle.

The Trickster Rogue has some spells while still being a martial-class.

I wouldn't use the other caster-classes for weapon-based dps or any melee-roles.

My Mage/Pal (Darcozzi) would look like this

Might  --- 16

Con    --- 10

Dex    --- 10

Per     --- 15

Int      --- 18

Res    --- 10

With One Handed Sword for Melee and for Range Attacks Staff with Explosion

With this i able to deal decent damage and to tank a lot + Selfheal.

• Like 1

Cipher (Soul Blade) + pretty much any melee class seems to be fairly solid. My current play through is as a pure caster: Soul Blade + generic Wizard. It's working well and I have not fought at range so far. Wizard buffs, and cipher smashes. That said, if I wasn't dead set on this particular combo since about a third of the way through PoE1 I'd have gone Cipher + Paladin.

Edited by nstgc

I think i will go with the Arcane Knight, because i like the Mage Spells more then the Cipher Spells.

My last Question is about a Weapon for this Knight

In the Beta One-Handed was clearly the weakest Option. With which Weapon do you think should i go?

My Ideas:

Dual Wield Sabre with Explosive Staff 

Dual Wield Onehanded Sword with Explosive Staff

Rapier with Dagger

Just trying, or rather testing, it out as a potential solo PotD character.

I am not sure whether INT is all that important for Warlock, for Evoker/Berserker Nature Godlike respectively. Went to the extreme to see limits with INT 4, during Frenzy having 1 INT (4-5) . Took Fan of Flames and its a mini-cone! Nevertheless, Frenzy + 5 MIG and 2 PEN, MMMs to open with - > mini-cone when enemies at melee -> 71.6 damage at level 1 (not a Crit). Full MIG, CON, PER, dumped INT and RES. The idea is not to pick spells/abilities where INT is essential, there are quite a few in Evoker (Enchanter)/Berserker trees, open up with Infuse With Vital Essence -> buff -> Frenzy, alternatively open up with Frenzy -> soften up with spells (not the mini-cone!) -> mop up with melee carnage from Berserker passives. 

Edited by knownastherat

Just trying, or rather testing, it out as a potential solo PotD character.

I am not sure whether INT is all that important for Warlock, for Evoker/Berserker Nature Godlike respectively. Went to the extreme to see limits with INT 4, during Frenzy having 1 INT (4-5) . Took Fan of Flames and its a mini-cone! Nevertheless, Frenzy + 5 MIG and 2 PEN, MMMs to open with - > mini-cone when enemies at melee -> 71.6 damage at level 1 (not a Crit). Full MIG, CON, PER, dumped INT and RES. The idea is not to pick spells/abilities where INT is essential, there are quite a few in Evoker (Enchanter)/Berserker trees, open up with Infuse With Vital Essence -> buff -> Frenzy, alternatively open up with Frenzy -> soften up with spells (not the mini-cone!) -> mop up with melee carnage from Berserker passives. 

INT is needed for buffs and debuffs.

Which ones?

Assuming to take, as I noted, spells/abilities not requiring INT:

Minoletta's Minor Missiles 

Crackling Bolt

Minoletta's Bounding Missiles

Minoletta's Concussive Missiles

Torment of Flame 

... etc from Evoker

Barbaric Blow/Crushing Blow 

Wild Sprint/Lion's Sprint

Blood Storm increasing duration of short Frenzy, can be a good thing to have it short for burst, on kill

Infuse With Vital Essence +5 INT to 9

Ironskin no INT needed

Arcane Reflections do not need to last 60 sec base but can with Infuse

The above is probably more that one can have points for, assuming taking amazing Barbarian passives. We are talking about "a magic using melee class", with 19 STR, 18 CON, 18 PER and fast attacks. The PL spells are to soften up the enemies, burst single target or clumped groups. 

Choice and consequence. Playing solo positioning is of importance and I do not mind butting in a corner. After all, that is the reasonable course of action when against great odds. Walking in, killing everything in open reminds me of Arnold and this is not Arnold nor Jack-of-all-trades. 

What buffs and debuffs will not be effective with around 10 INT?

Edited by knownastherat