I've been trying to come up with the optimal build for dual wield sword/pistol characters. Just to go with the pirate theme.

Playstyle is to fire off a couple shots from a distance and then jump into the fray from behind when my tanks have engaged the enemy using a sword or sabre in the offhand. 2handed weapon or dual sabre/sword in the secondary.

So far I've tried a ranger/summoner multiclass who casts 6 skeletons to engage mobs, and then I found some boots of leap which help get my character into the fray when the mobs are tied up. 

I can see a ranger multiclass with monk, fighter, rogue or barbarian to make this work better (have a dedicated summoner to create my own mob or more tanks to tie up the front line).

Or maybe drop the ranger or sharpshooter altogether and go fighter/barb, fighter/rogue, or fighter/monk. Or monk/barb, monk/rogue. Or rogue/fighter, rogue/barb. Hah. 

Any suggestions on synergies that would optimize this?

I actually read of an interesting build on Reddit that might achieve some of the idea:
https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8ipy86/for_the_life_of_me_i_just_cannot_pick_a_class_i/

At first i wanted to play Gunslinger Black Jacket, but after i tried Rogue/Wizard i instantly fell in love.

My setup is Dual wield blunderbuss, and wizard self buffs, for example you basically become Flash when you you fleet foot or whatever it was called.

Best thing about Wizard buffs is that they are instant cast, so i can plant my tank in front of the enemies, then sprint behind them and unload my shotguns on their backs spamming Rogue's Full attack abilities which shoot from both guns after one reload.

First of all i play on POTD with level scaling, but not really a min-max build, just having bit of fun :)

In character creator i picked Pale Elf because they looke hella cool, but i dont think it really matters.

If i recall correctly my attributes without race/origin bonuses are:

Might: 18

Constitution: 9

Dexterity: 4

Perception: 18

Intellect: 18

Resolve: 9

You might think that 4 DEX is too low, but reloading still feels good at 4.

Blunderbuss weapon modal is really fun to use, while without modal the gun is single target, but with modal when you shoot your blunderbuss you fire a real shotgun blast in front of you, damaging everything, even friendlies.

Using the wizard buffs you make yourself like a offtank for the team, even though your CON is only 9, they are that powerful

Main Damage tool is the Crippling Strike rogue skill, it is a Full Attack meaning that when you're dual wielding it uses both weapons to attack, but with guns you only have to reload one of them and still shoot both. So when you have Blunderbuss modal on, and shoot Crippling Strike you shoot 2 blasts of fiery death on the enemies (and friends, sorry Edér) when you have shot all of your Crippling Strikes your DPS takes a huge dive, but thats what your party is for right ;)

So this guy is able to do long range with spells, and then jumps behind with his 2gun blunders. Where I want to shoot with guns, and then jump behind with melee.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RKHeliplex

For myself i tried streeffighter/monk(no subclass or nalpazca, bcs hellwalker is TOO MUCH squishy), this build can proc one side of streetfighter's passive with blunderbuss, and at 4 lvl second with mortification, which summary get amazing +100% crit dmg, +50% sneak dmg, and -50% recovery (or just 50% sneak and 50% recovery, without using blunderbuss and powder burns, which summary fined by -15 acc).

But pistol and blunderbuss bugged now, and you cant drop reload time lesser than ~3.5 sec, so gunslinger with fast reload useless now.

There is a pistol that seems designed for this kind of build; it grants stacking bonuses to melee recovery on hit. It's for sale either at the Brass Citadel gunsmith or from the weapon shop in the black market, can't remember.

Make a troubador/x. Use the sabre that gives stacking action speed aura for every phrase you have. put it in offhand and then mainhand pistol. take dual weapon style and benefit from the action speed for yourself and your whole party

OP, may I recommend Soulblade/Assassin with Sabre/Pistol?

I tried it in the Backer Beta and I thought it was quite a fun build.

Today I have tried Soulblade/Assassin with the Sabre/Pistol combo. It worked pretty damn well; shoot with pistol at range to generate focus up to a certain point (I aim for 50+ usually), reload (but do NOT fire), and go into melee and attack with Soul Annihilation, preferably while under the effects of invisibility. It's kind of unfortunate I'm already sold on single-classed Ascendant for my first playthrough, combat became really enjoyable with the aforementioned combo.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94957-what-multiclasses-have-you-played-with-so-far/?p=2002502

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."