Family Feud peaceful way out

Greetings, a long time ago i found out about some a heist plan in the "a sinking feeling" side quest. Did several quests, explored the map etc. I intended to resolve the family feud peacefully, but for some reason (despite not even telling about the heist plan), it seems to go sideways. Both parties agreed to meet, but if i go to Valera all i can do is agree to help them in the vault, or fight them immediately. Bardatto, i can snitch on Valera vault plan (again forcing me to pick a side), or not tell them anything. 

So, my question is, can i still get a peaceful resoultion somehow? I don't want to loose hours of progress because some minor sidequest ("a sinking feeling", not part of "family feud" main quest) ruined the whole questline for some reason. And i certainly don't want any part in an idiotic war between some minor families.

Edited by pstone

I did that quest as well and was able to reach a peaceful outcome. I even snitched. I got them to meet and argued that if the Valera are on the sea, they can't cause problems. Maybe I should mention that none of the sons died in the duel. That might influence it?

• Like 4

Talk to the oldest(one an old woman, one an old man I think) in the respective families...You should be able to get them to meet, where you can navigate the discussion so that they even work together. That's at least what worked for me... I didnt do anything with the vault though

• Like 2

I discovered if you snitch on the Vault hiest and then wait too long to negotiate the peace then the idiot Valera son pulls off the hiest anyway and you get dragged into it. If you snitch you have to negotiate the peace really quick or it all goes to hell.

• Like 2

I did that quest as well and was able to reach a peaceful outcome. I even snitched. I got them to meet and argued that if the Valera are on the sea, they can't cause problems. Maybe I should mention that none of the sons died in the duel. That might influence it?

Do you remember how exactly you did that? No sons died in duel,too. I have Valera already agreeing to meet, and can get Bernadetto to agree, but if i go back to Valera with the good news they are all about the vault and won't talk about anything else...

I discovered if you snitch on the Vault hiest and then wait too long to negotiate the peace then the idiot Valera son pulls off the hiest anyway and you get dragged into it. If you snitch you have to negotiate the peace really quick or it all goes to hell.

Thats probably it. Since the quest "Family Feud" was marked with two skulls, i didn't immediately return. Damn i hate timed quests. Hated them in Torment:Tides, now they poison this game too. As if everyone can play the game in one go and remember exactly when which quest started...

Edited by pstone
  • Like 1

But honestly the money you get from robbing the vault once the hiest goes sideways and the loot from killing either family are really good so it’s not a total loss.

Nah not interested, playing a paladin (RP) and i don't want to kill a family over nothing. Guess i will have to restart the game :(

But honestly the money you get from robbing the vault once the hiest goes sideways and the loot from killing either family are really good so it’s not a total loss.

Nah not interested, playing a paladin (RP) and i don't want to kill a family over nothing. Guess i will have to restart the game :(

Understandable, I am playing a rogue pirate in the vien of Flint from Black Sails, so all the military powers of Ratuai and Valeria I am killing to ensure a free and proud New Principi Brotherhood.

Edited by feliznav
  • Like 1

Do you remember how exactly you did that? No sons died in duel,too. I have Valera already agreeing to meet, and can get Bernadetto to agree, but if i go back to Valera with the good news they are all about the vault and won't talk about anything else...

Thats probably it. Since the quest "Family Feud" was marked with two skulls, i didn't immediately return. Damn i hate timed quests. Hated them in Torment:Tides, now they poison this game too. As if everyone can play the game in one go and remember exactly when which quest started...

As someone else mentioned, maybe you waited too long? I did it rather quickly. Right after snitching I arranged the meeting.

Then I did some diplomacy checks and such and it wasn't really hard. They didn't mention the vault stuff at all.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of timed quests either. It's easy to mess them up because there are so many quests and things to do. I was lucky in this case.

I'm currently reloading Cpt. Tatzatl again and again. Seems no matter what I do/say it's the same result. Might be intentional. But it's mean.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of timed quests either. It's easy to mess them up because there are so many quests and things to do. I was lucky in this case.

I'm currently reloading Cpt. Tatzatl again and again. Seems no matter what I do/say it's the same result. Might be intentional. But it's mean.

There's a vid on youtube showing you exactly what to do with this one to get the best outcome!

You mean the Godlike quest? You have to answer his stupid quiz exactly. Again a moment I find that the sword is the more satisfying response. Edited by feliznav
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, i guess i will have to restart the game some time in the future.

Honestly though Pstone it’s worth it to just do a live and learn pass through the game to get a grasp on where things are and to build Tokens of Berath for another play through.

You mean the Godlike quest? You have to answer his stupid quiz exactly. Again a moment I find that the sword is the more satisfying response.

Thanks, feliznav. I'll try to figure out the 100% and then see, what I do. I like to avoid violence, if possible.

Thanks everyone, i guess i will have to restart the game some time in the future.

Honestly though Pstone it’s worth it to just do a live and learn pass through the game to get a grasp on where things are and to build Tokens of Berath for another play through.

Yes, there still seem to be some bugs in it anyhow. And you will most likely play it again with the DLCs 

You mean the Godlike quest? You have to answer his stupid quiz exactly. Again a moment I find that the sword is the more satisfying response.

Thanks, feliznav. I'll try to figure out the 100% and then see, what I do. I like to avoid violence, if possible.

To answer correctly the philosophical stances you need to take are kinda counter intuitive: 1) it’s cool to kill Skaen babies/ abortion is good 2) unrestricted science is good/ it’s cool to be immoral in the name of science 3) it’s bad to kill people for doing science/ it’s uncool to blame the scientist for science

I just reported this as something that is a bit similar to a bug. Why?

I'm certainly not the only one picking Pallegina as a companion, and these quests can affect her inclusion in the party dramatically.

That's fine! :)

She even gives me as a player a stern warning that this family feud between Bardatto och Valera needs to be resolved for the sake of the Vailian trade company. My Pallegina is with the Brotherhood. She said that a few deaths were acceptible, but these important families for Vailia should not be eradicated.

And in my playthrough, I certainly agreed.

I had done most stuff pro-Vailian Trading Company in at that time 35 hours of playtime.

Also, I had made sure that I pleased Pallegina, so she had positive numbers in her relations with me.

Well, at the start of this quest duo, I made sure that the duel never ended bloodily.

I then talked to Ezzali Bardatto and Atello, very courteously and diplomatically.

I agreed to help them both with two small errands.

-I helped Ezzali with that Gullet vault heist gang at the Hole.

-And I helped Martino Valero with those Rauataian soldiers at the Mare.

Then I went out with the ship for a bit. Did one and a half island, like 2 hours playtime, and then sailed back to restock provisions.

While I was there, I decided to try to resolve the quests Sinking Feeling and Family Pride.

Note that in my journal all this time, it clearly stated that I was on a peaceful path for the Family Pride quest.

Nothing told me that I was doing anything wrong in that regard.

And Ezzali gave me a few rewards, and the quest updated, I even said to her that they should talk this though peacefully (She didn't want any slaughter of the Valera's - I even picked that suggestion line, and Ezzali refused - so everything seemed to be working.

But, when I went to Atello Valera, he was all of the sudden angry at his son, slapping his cheeks. When I asked what was going on, he told me that the vault robbery had been set in motion, and now I needed to save somebody down in the Bardatto vault. It suggested that I should try to talk some sense to the Vault keepers, even if they wouldn't be happy.

But a few clicks more in the convo trees of Atello and Martino, and I realize that even Atello suddenly only saw one solution - killing the entire Bardatto family! What the...?

And I also tried speaking to Ezzali once more, but she know thinks that I double-crossed her.

And at Atello, when I pick the convo line: "I've had enough of this family feud. I don't want any bloodshed," the Valeras go hostile.

After they've been defeated, Pallegina leaves my party, all decked out with the items I've invested in.

I even reloaded and tried doing the same at Ezzali- and when she get aggressive for no reason, once again, Pallegina just leaves, despite my good standing with her and the Vailian Trade company.

Well, that escalated quickly. I had done everything peacefully.

I had kept Pallegina and the Trading Company very happy.

And then, Bam! She just drops out of the party.

As Pallegina was important to me, I had to replay one and a half island, go back, scour the two quests and their convos, just to pick the absolutely super-duper peaceful options, and then I had to get them to meet there and then, Ezzali and Atello, since I suspect that the quest is on a timer.

My suggestion is that the Family Pride has some later opening for peaceful resolution as well. Imagine if I had played 10h more of the game with Pallegina.

Then I wouldn't have loved to replay that chunk. 

Just some feedback.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I reloaded a old save befor doing heist quest and was abel to get them to agree with a agreement. But then when i vent to Valera´s household they sayed that ther family memeber was in bardatto's bank and fk stuff up. Went there killed all the guards robed the bank, went back to Valera and they tasks me with killing Bardatto and went to Bardatto and got reward for making them having an agreement. No talk option to talk about how i just robbed her blind and no option to kill her (talk option). I guess im happy i was abel to do fued quest and get loot? I hope i havent fked my save for the future.

(Sorry did not recall names at all heh...)

Edited by BijaT

Hi! I was able to solve this problem :) (Make a backup of the files you modify!)

To make Atello and Martino not force the vault heist:

Go to your game folder and then to "PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\conversations\03_neketaka_vailian_district".

Open the files "03_cv_martino.conversationbundle" and "03_cv_atello.conversationbundle"

Use Notepad++ to find the line: (search for "n_VD_The_Heist_Valera")

"n_VD_The_Heist_Valera",

"EqualTo",

"1"

in both of these files.

Then change the "1" to "" (just remove the 1, not the quote marks)

You can also force Ezzali to unlock her negotiations dialogue (not recommended)

In the same folder open "03_cv_ezzali.conversationbundle"

Find the line: (search for "n_BB_Negotiations_Start")

"n_BB_Negotiations_Start",
"EqualTo",
"4"
],
"UnrealCall": "",
"FunctionHash": 901380568,
"ParameterHash": 419339476
},
"Not": false,
"Operator": 0

Just change the ( "Not": false, to "Not": true,)

Edit: 1: I recommend altering just the Atello and Martino files, the Ezzali edit are just for people who already is working for her or can't unlock the negotiations dialogue.

Edit 2: You have to use the modified Atello and Martino files everytime you talk to them (even after you completed the quest, otherwise it will trigger the vault heist conflict dialogue).

Edited by TempMcGuy
  • Like 1

Don't restart the game. Live with the consequences. Part of being a Paladin is making tough choices and sometimes those choices don't always end the way you want them to. Cut your losses, learn from your mistakes and become a better Paladin for it. Use it as a catalyst for your character's development and let it shape the way they approach things in the future.

It's not worth starting over just because you don't get a perfect outcome, sometimes the best stories are told through the mistakes our characters make.

• Like 2

Hi! I was able to solve this problem :) (Make a backup of the files you modify!)

To make Atello and Martino not force the vault heist:

Go to your game folder and then to "PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\conversations\03_neketaka_vailian_district".

Open the files "03_cv_martino.conversationbundle" and "03_cv_atello.conversationbundle"

Use Notepad++ to find the line: (search for "n_VD_The_Heist_Valera")

"n_VD_The_Heist_Valera",

"EqualTo",

"1"

in both of these files.

Then change the "1" to "" (just remove the 1, not the quote marks)

You can also force Ezzali to unlock her negotiations dialogue (not recommended)

In the same folder open "03_cv_ezzali.conversationbundle"

Find the line: (search for "n_BB_Negotiations_Start")

"n_BB_Negotiations_Start",

"EqualTo",

"4"

],

"UnrealCall": "",

"FunctionHash": 901380568,

"ParameterHash": 419339476

},

"Not": false,

"Operator": 0

Just change the ( "Not": false, to "Not": true,)

Edit: 1: I recommend altering just the Atello and Martino files, the Ezzali edit are just for people who already is working for her or can't unlock the negotiations dialogue.

Edit 2: You have to use the modified Atello and Martino files everytime you talk to them (even after you completed the quest, otherwise it will trigger the vault heist conflict dialogue).

Thank you! I restarted by now (didn't need too much time since i didn't reread all the conversations&lore), but hopefully it helps other players with the same problem.

Don't restart the game. Live with the consequences. Part of being a Paladin is making tough choices and sometimes those choices don't always end the way you want them to. Cut your losses, learn from your mistakes and become a better Paladin for it. Use it as a catalyst for your character's development and let it shape the way they approach things in the future.

It's not worth starting over just because you don't get a perfect outcome, sometimes the best stories are told through the mistakes our characters make.

I'm normally all for choice and consquences, but i don't feel delaying a quest is a meaningful decisison (or decision at all) and i cannot act how i want in the consequences scenario anyway. The families seem to see the PC as some kind of loyal cartell soldier, but i am a paladin with no affiliation to them. I would certainly never help with a vault breakin, nor kill a family, for any reason. Certainly not because some idiot had the idea breaking into the enemy vault is a great idea. Edited by pstone
  • Like 2

I noticed that if you hand in A Sinking Feeling, you can no longer ask her to negotiate for peace in that particular dialog. This is why I thought you couldn't finish both that quest and Family Pride in a peaceful manner. I noticed however that you could exit the conversation and talk to her again, and the option for negotiation is back. This is despite her saying after A Sinking Feeling that the time for peace "most decidedly is over" (paraphrased). So this might be a bug or oversight, but either way, if you just come prepared with the peace negotation approval from Valera, you can finish both quests peacefully.

• Like 1

My favorite part of this whole affair was Atello Valera basically going “ oh woe is me! My son is such a horrible person for bringing us to this! By the way Player can you go next door and kill every man, woman, and child in the house? THANKS!”

• Like 1