[Firearms] [crossbow] Infnitely Reloading

mengyv

Question

Main Character is indefinitely reloading this firearms whenever in combat or outside and could not attack.

Companions do not have this problem.

I cannot upload my saves, the attachment is larger than the limit 507k. 

Please have a look this bug and give further instructions e.g. how to send the save to support.

Regards.

25 answers to this question

This bug has already been reported.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98130-reload-times-can-be-completely-skipped/?hl=reload

Suggest you delete this thread @mengyv, and post in the original one, in accordance  with bug-report guidelines.

I read the thread and watched the video. My MC cannot stop the reload loop to attack which is different to the problem of skipping reload animate to attack, 

TLDR: Two rogue based characters while using any form of gun or crossbow are stuck in a reloading loop and cannot auto attack. 

So during my play through I eventually came to the realization that one of my characters (Ydwin lvl 15 Mindstalker) auto-attack wasn't functioning (spell/abilities were still working properly). At the time that I had noticed, it was already too late for me to go back and find when and where the issue first arrived (as I save very frequently). 

So after being aware of the issue I decided to test a few things such as: 

• Unequipping the pistol/blunderbuss that I was currently using and re-equipping the weapons to see if that would fix the issue, it did not.
  • Tried using a melee weapon in the weapon slots they were originally in and swapping them to another weapon set, this didn't fix the issue either.
  • I tried restarting my game, steam, and my computer. These didn't fix the issue.
  • I verified my steam game files to no avail.

After I those tests at a solution, I decided to put the weapons, the "Thundercrack Pistol" and "Eccea's Arcane Blaster" to be exact, on another character (my main Assassin also lvl 15) and they appeared to be functioning properly so I figured it was just a character issue with Ydwin. Well, as it turns out, the issue happened again on my main and again I didn't realize it before it was too late. By the time I realized the issue had appeared on my main, she was lvl 17. 

*Note - the ability "Conductive Blast" from the "Thundercrack Pistol" still functioned properly it was purely the auto-attack with the weapon that doesn't function.

I decided to test if it was just guns or all ranged weapons. From what I gathered it was an issue with crossbows, arbalests, blunderbusses, pistols, and arquebuses.

Originally, I had Serafen using the two pistols mentioned and he had no issues with them.

I have Maia using "Blightheart" an arquebus and she has yet to have come into a reloading loop.

While trying to look to see if anyone else had come across the same issue, I had stumbled on a forum post about PoE1 that it was a known issue with rogues to get stuck in a reloading loop but there was no info on a solution for the issue.

And noticing that both my main (Assassin) and Ydwin (Mindstalker) are both forms of a rogue I figured it was the same issue as what was happening to those in PoE1. So to me it appears to be an issue purely with rogue based classes.

Edit - If anyone else has run into this issue please let me know and if you have any other info I haven't posted.

Edited by Natharo

I have the same bug in my game. It affects all my characters not just main. If I give a reload weapon to anyone they will be stuck in infinite reload with them. I am force to use bows only at this point.

I have the same problem, I have to load an old save. It stays despite swapping weapons or unequipping/re-equipping.

I'm using Scordeo's Trophy and Eccea's Arcane Blaster. My character is a Ranger/Chanter and I use wounding shot quite a bit. I can't find any pattern as to why this bug happens but it has been 10 times in the last 10 minutes.

Oddly it never happens on my companion who uses dual pistols. That companion has no special attacks with them unlike my Ranger/Chanter with wounding shot.

got same problem once. I was able to cancel it by using a spell I think, or a spell-like ability. But when you try to use weapon attack skills it don't work.

edit: it happened while I was playing with builds and dummies, I think I used the scordeo's trophy too. I know the reload of dual pistol is bugged right now, you have a cap (you can notice it with the trophy gun because even with -50% recovery time the reload animation speed don't change). Perhaps there is a problem with calculation of reload time with guns, if you lower it too much it get stuck?

Edited by Takkik

I had a made a brief post on the Bugs Megathread on reddit about this and someone else had mentioned they ran into the issue as well. 

This is what they had said:

"Same thing happened to me on my Herald (Paladin/Chanter) with an arquebus. Got stuck on firearm reload animation after shooting. Even does it with the melee weapon, if switched to. To make it worse, the character seems to float around after it gets stuck on that animation instead of walking/running."

So it may not only be related to rogues as I had previously thought. Although, I never had the issue with melee weapons and my characters didn't float either.

I also encountered this bug. At some point I started looping my reloads endlessly and haven't been able to find a workaround (in addition to the things mentioned above, I tried killing my character off and then finishing the fight (to no effect). I was using Eccea's Pistol with Mordwyn at the time (gotta grind that Kith damage) and am beginning to wonder if the problem is related to action speed/reload speed interactions (at least to get it to enter the infinite reloading state initially). Amusingly, this problem happened to me on a double-shot from the pistol, so now all of my no-reloading required ranged weapons (Bows, Scepters) fire two shots. If I wasn't a pistol Devoted, I'd be laughing my way to DPS town (honestly even on PotD my accuracy is so high that it might not matter; using the Aloth scepter which bounces to another enemy makes clearing groups a cake-walk even with -10 accuracy). As it stands right now, though, I'm kind of sad because I won't get to smash everything with my Eccea's super-pistol anymore. :(

Oh, and I don't think it's related to being a rogue at all BTW. It happened to me on a Fighter (Devoted) / Ranger (The be-close-to-your-pet-for-extra-armor one).

Hope this gets fixed soon; firearms are kind of fun.

• Like 1

Thanks for the added info Kardis. Yeah, after seeing the issue from you and one other person being other classes than rogue, I no longer believe it has something to do with being a rogue.

I also hope it gets fixed soon as I've really been enjoying firearms in this game and I usually tend to stay away from them. That being said, I haven't seen many people posting about having this issue so it might only be happening to a small minority. So many other fixes are probably much higher up on the list, if they even know about this one.

Edited by Natharo

I'm playing an assassin/devoted dual pistol character. Whenever I'm in combat, if reloading has already started and I go to issue an attack command or ability cast, the character turns towards the target and restarts the reload from the beginning. With AI on, I have to slow combat down or keep pausing to catch the character after the reload is done and then issue the command.

This is always when not having to move, I know moving interrupts reloading since you can't reload while moving.

Is anyone else having a similar issue? I like to have my character run my AI behavior for the most part, but sometimes I don't want to waste a full attack at their current target and it's tedious to slow or pause pause pause to catch them before the ability fires off.

Edit: This got moved from its own post to here even though it's a separate issue, sorry for that.

Edited by mengths

I also encountered this bug. At some point I started looping my reloads endlessly and haven't been able to find a workaround (in addition to the things mentioned above, I tried killing my character off and then finishing the fight (to no effect). I was using Eccea's Pistol with Mordwyn at the time (gotta grind that Kith damage) and am beginning to wonder if the problem is related to action speed/reload speed interactions (at least to get it to enter the infinite reloading state initially). Amusingly, this problem happened to me on a double-shot from the pistol, so now all of my no-reloading required ranged weapons (Bows, Scepters) fire two shots. If I wasn't a pistol Devoted, I'd be laughing my way to DPS town (honestly even on PotD my accuracy is so high that it might not matter; using the Aloth scepter which bounces to another enemy makes clearing groups a cake-walk even with -10 accuracy). As it stands right now, though, I'm kind of sad because I won't get to smash everything with my Eccea's super-pistol anymore. :(

Oh, and I don't think it's related to being a rogue at all BTW. It happened to me on a Fighter (Devoted) / Ranger (The be-close-to-your-pet-for-extra-armor one).

Hope this gets fixed soon; firearms are kind of fun.

This started happening to me when I picked up Eccea's Pistol as well (combined with Scordeo's Trophy). It gets into the constant reloading loop every now and then. Once it does that I quick load and continue from there now (happening too often though). Never had a problem with Scordeo's+regular pistol till then (90 hrs in).

Salutations Natharo and fellow gunslingers, 

Terribly sorry that this is happening to you lot. I'll be putting a report in so that this can be thoroughly investigated. A save file and output log would help us out greatly. 

Thank you for your support, and happy sailing.

- Chelsea

• Like 2

Thank you very much cnealob! 

Hmm Teacher it may very well be Eccea's because all three of us that have stated that we got the issue had Eccea's equipped.

Edit - I'll work on getting a save and output log posted soon but it has been a long time since the issue first happened so I won't have a save from before the issue appeared.

Edited by Natharo

Salutations gunslingers, 

Yes, this bug has already been logged and is under investigation. Sorry for any inconvenience, but I do you are enjoying the rest of Deadfire.

Thank you for your support

- Chelsea

Heya, as cneanlob has suggested, I'll be uploading all of the files that the stickied post on the main thread suggests. This link includes: a save file which shows both effects of the bug (in my case), a DxDiag output of my system specs, and an output_log after starting the game, playing through the combat in the bog next door, and then saving and closing the game. 

For the record, I didn't have this problem until I started using Eccea's Arcane Blaster, and even then it wasn't an issue until I started using it with a melee weapon in the off-hand. Also worth noting: my reload speed receives A LOT of bonuses in combat, and I've seen posts about the reload speed bug from stealth which may be contributing to this problem (an additional -85% reload on top of the massive amounts I already have may have broken something).  

Problem 1:

All weapons with reload animations go into a reload loop whenever you try to use them in combat (and you keep reloading outside of combat). I'm unable to attack with reload-required weapons at all. 

Problem 2:

Because this happened to me with Eccea's Arcane Blaster, and I guess I got lucky, ALL of my ranged attacks with non-reload-required weapons now fire increased projectiles. To highlight this, in the save file I have a scepter which can have its attacks bounce to an additional enemy. Both shots will bounce, which is pretty cool in terms of making custom weapons and modding, but kind of sad when I can't fire most weapons. :(

Because of my progression through the game, recently I've been bowling through easier packs, and I'm not sure when this problem first presented itself. I first noticed when storming Deadlight, but my previous hard save was over 4 hours earlier so I didn't bother going back. RIP Devoted.

Good luck nailing this one down guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnhetp43cg5sj7f/Pistol%20Reloading%20Issue.zip?dl=0

Edit:

One thing that might be worth mentioning is that I was experimenting with Mordwyn (talking sword) and that Woedica mace in my off-hand, and that both of them give bonuses that might influence this loop. Mordwyn in particular has that 30% action-speed thing going on which could blow reload-speed to the moon and back depending on how stacking works. Perhaps if you get reload speed below zero for any amount of time using any combination of reload-speed items/effects and action-speed items/effects it doesn't know what to do and starts looping? God-speed.

Edited by Kardis

Just want to toss my two cents in. I am running into this bug constantly with Scordeo and Eccea as well and did catch the exact moment the bug occured. I performed a full attack (Flames of Devotion). The first shot kills the target and the AI moved the character immediately to get in range of the next target. Upon getting within range and seeing the Flames of Devotion icon appear for a split second, the character attempts to reload and was then stuck in the loop.

Currently I cannot use firearms in my playthrough any longer, since any party member wielding one is caught infinitely reloading. I cannot get any of them to fire off a single round, as upon the start of combat they begin loading their rifle over and over, and continue that animation even out of combat.

This all started after enchanting the pistols "thundercrack" and "Eccea's arcane blaster" and has persisted throughout my playthrough thus far. Saving and reloading hasn't fixed it, quitting out of the game hasn't either, and all other characters seem to be able to get off a single shot before suffering the same bug. 

Attached is a dropbox link to the earliest save I have shortly after acquiring and enchanting thundercrack and the arcane pistol.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28iuphluh7qda2f/PokoKohara.savegame?dl=0

This has also been happening to me since I picked up Eccea. The animation loop stops if I equip a melee weapon in the main hand slot and it functions normally when there is a pistol or blunderbuss in the off-hand. Unfortunately, equipping any firearm in the main-hand (both one-handed and two-handed) restarts the endless looping. Additionally, I'm not sure if these issues are related, but the Conductive Blast ability on the Thundercrack Pistol stopped refreshing upon rest when this reload issue began happening.

Edit: Equipping a melee weapon in the main hand seems to be a temporary fix and no longer works. The Watcher restarts the loop after firing a single shot.  The reload loop persists throughout combat and doesn't reset on a save file load or full game reboot.

Edited by artzombie

This bug definitely still exists and I'm assuming it's related to Eccea's Arcane Blaster. Just got the bug myself after picking that gun up and enchanting it with the shot splintering. Using Scordeo's as mainhand as well. Can upload a save of the bug freshly occuring if more examples are needed.

This bug definitely still exists and I'm assuming it's related to Eccea's Arcane Blaster. Just got the bug myself after picking that gun up and enchanting it with the shot splintering. Using Scordeo's as mainhand as well. Can upload a save of the bug freshly occuring if more examples are needed.

That's what I was thinking for a long time, but it triggered for a new character I made as well, right in the cave at the beach. I had a regular pistol paired with the pre-order reward sword. I'm guessing(emphasis here) it has to do with reducing reload times though, rather than a specific weapon.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/frm7ja992te1wsg/AABAoPGrVc6PL0y1J6j35Ol1a?dl=0

Link to all the bug stuff there. Not sure a video or pictures are necessary since it's pretty simply: reloading that only stops when I switch to my melee weapons. Still doing it after saving and quitting the game. I'm dual wielding Eccea's and Thundercrack pistols.

Other thing I noticed:

I originally had The Kitchen Sink the reload enchant on in my offhand, and when I moved it to another party member its buff was still on my character. RIGHT when that character went down, the reload bug struck me, midfight. The buffs were removed when I had The Kitchen Sink completely unequipped, but the reload issues persisted (as you can see in the save file). 

Hope that helps, and helps soon. My playthrough is on pause until this gets resolved. :(