Was bit annoyed that the ship vendor would only give you limited info on the ships(and I haven't found any other info online). So I made this for ease. 

Boarding's still the way to go but I do like the naval battles.

Ship_stats.png

These are base statistics without any upgrades or crew.

I assume Hit-Chance would mean how difficult a target you are towards enemies.

Majority of the people are saying Hit-Chance would mean the chance that you'll hit the enemy though.

*Navigator increases Travel Speed with 5 per level.

*Fully assigned Deck increases Travel Speed with 16 if a Navigator is also present.

Edited by Hybridsalmon
  • Like 11

Was bit annoyed that the ship vendor would only give you limited info on the ships(and I haven't found any other info online). So I made this for ease. 

Ship_stats.png

*Fully assigned Deck increases Travel Speed with 16 if a Navigator is also present.

10 Cannons on each side. *drool*

Ship_stats.png

Woops, to clarify, 10 guns total. But only on the sides :p. ( Voyager has 2 front guns, and 1 back, thats why I put in sides).

Thanks for a very informative post.  I was curious about this stuff.  But wouldn't Hit chance be like the ship's accuracy instead of the difficulty of being hit itself?  I think this is the way it is since the Junk is supposed to be a glass cannon as opposed to the more tanky Galleon.  It seems to me like these are the 2 best ships for end game right now.

Ship_stats.png

Woops, to clarify, 10 guns total. But only on the sides :p. ( Voyager has 2 front guns, and 1 back, thats why I put in sides).

Meh 5 on each side is fine. Still a massive amount of firepower.

Thanks for a very informative post.  I was curious about this stuff.  But wouldn't Hit chance be like the ship's accuracy instead of the difficulty of being hit itself?  I think this is the way it is since the Junk is supposed to be a glass cannon as opposed to the more tanky Galleon.  It seems to me like these are the 2 best ships for end game right now.

With the same reasoning I actually came to my conclusion. :p

The junk is bigger so would be easier to hit. The others are smaller so less chance of hitting.

But it seems it'd be unnecessary if the Hit-Chance would actually mean your chances of hitting. If you performered a maneauver or the enemy did one your chance of hitting gets lower (had around 20%). If you Stop before you shoot you can increase your chances to 100%. So the Hit-Chance of your chance to hit wouldn't be that useful information. Could be wrong though.

Just a protip to everyone playing, boarding is absolutely NOT the way to go.  Your ship gets screwed up every time, even if you do it the hard way, you can get crew injuries easily, you actually get less loot, and your sailors gain less exp.

The benefits are much higher to playing the ship battles out traditionally.  Once you get good cannons and learn how to really do the battles it isn't that time consuming or hard.  I have sunk a galleon with the starter ship for example.

It is all about getting good guns (either close range or long), leveling up your crews skills, then staying within your optimum firing range but outside your enemies.

As far as the accuracy thing goes, I think it is the chance to hit, not be hit, not that it matters.  The key things to hitting is good cannoners (Cannoneers?  Cannon Guys?), and being in optimum range with your guns.  You have that, and you do a full stop before firing, you are going to be getting 100% shots.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Just a protip to everyone playing, boarding is absolutely NOT the way to go.  Your ship gets screwed up every time, even if you do it the hard way, you can get crew injuries easily, you actually get less loot, and your sailors gain less exp.

The benefits are much higher to playing the ship battles out traditionally.  Once you get good cannons and learn how to really do the battles it isn't that time consuming or hard.  I have sunk a galleon with the starter ship for example.

It is all about getting good guns (either close range or long), leveling up your crews skills, then staying within your optimum firing range but outside your enemies.

As far as the accuracy thing goes, I think it is the chance to hit, not be hit, not that it matters.  The key things to hitting is good cannoners (Cannoneers?  Cannon Guys?), and being in optimum range with your guns.  You have that, and you do a full stop before firing, you are going to be getting 100% shots.

From my experience, going for a boarding action(not the option where the game will say you'll lose x hp, and x injured) will result in the same results except that you don't need to buy cannonballs and repairkits as much. Depends on what ship you have though. Since I bought my galleon I don't bother with boarding since destroying an enemy can be done in no time though. Then again, it also depends on the enemy. If it's an enemy with half a crew, and half the cannons then just shooting will be yield the same results or better.

Ship_stats.png

Majority of the people are saying Hit-Chance would mean the chance that you'll hit the enemy though.

Thanks for making this thread. I've saved the picture to have a good overview locally.

At first I thought hit-chance was OUR chance to hit THEM, but it is indeed the other way around, like you thought to begin with. It's sort-of disclosed in the description for galleons (think it was them), and you can see it by hovering over the cannonball icon during ship battles.

In the picture I'm attacking a Junk (is that a real name??) and you can see the 70% base chance. The value is 50% for Sloops btw, our beginner boat.

post-165682-0-78551400-1526316326_thumb.jpg

post-165682-0-13945800-1526316334_thumb.jpg

One thing about Voyager though - while it may seem a very tempting ship - it only has one purpose: full speed to board. Taking part in combat means you will get raking hits all the time due to canon placement. Even if you turn/unturn after/before firing - the window of opportunity is big for the enemy to T-bone you.

Out of all the ships I consider Dhow superior against NPCs. It is very fast (I maxed at 110-115m per turn with initiative) and can hold considerable firepower. Due to speed and Jibe speed you can dictate the range of the engagement. It is the only ship on which I could reliably field the dual cannons and use them in the optimal range. And having that - sink Galleons and Junks.

With Galleon I noticed that yes, you get a lot more tankiness but in the end - I needed to spend more resources repairing a galleon, as the battles became a slugging match.

Agree with that Veevoir. I went for a Dhow as my first ship upgrade. Partly because it's cheaper and I could afford it, but mostly because it looks like the most balanced in terms of durability, firepower, speed and manoeuvrability. In practice I don't really turn around once combat starts, because the cannons I have can reload in 4 turns, but if you need to catch up to a ship trying to get away, the slowness of a Galleon could be a real challenge. The high health (and extra cannons) is tempting, but the combat speed is not.

How the hell is boarding less loot?? What extra goodies do you possibly get from sinking the ship? Audiophiliac lagufaeth show up, keep everything afloat and then offer themselves as food?

I know your post is two days old which is an eternity on release week, but I have to say some things here are patently wrong. Your ship does not get screwed up every time at all (if you manually charge), because the opponent usually either can't decide what to do or doesn't have time to do it. Oh you got too close for one side's cannons' ideal range, let's jibe, never mind we got boarded. They more often than not don't get to fire at all, and if they do it's nearly always raking hull hits that don't injure anyone. If you go with automatic boarding however, then yes, everything gets screwed up.

Also curious why you're saying less experience. Got a basis for that?

P.S. It's terribly convenient to board if your party is in good shape. I just 111111 until I can board, then I unpause and tab out while the AI wins.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

• 4 weeks later...