[QUESTION] Ydwin Full Companion DLC

Hi, 

Really enjoying the game so far, despite narrowly avoiding what I think it a corrupt save file (thank God for OCD saves). 

I've just met Ydwin and remember her being a stretch goal at the funding stage and I'm just wondering if any developers / community managers can talk about or find out if she will be upgraded to a full companion in one of the 3 DLCs that are planned for the game?

Surely the extra money from said DLCs would allow this to happen given you weren't far off (relatively) reaching the goal in the funding stage.

Hope to get an answer, 

Thanks for making an awesome game ;)

Having played around with the sidekicks a bit, I have to say I wish they would have just scrapped the sidekicks and put the resources towards making one full companion instead. Things being what they are, I don't see myself ever using them in place of a full companion or a character I create myself.

• Like 7

Yes,hope so.And sea monster DLC will be greater!

• Like 1

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Having played around with the sidekicks a bit, I have to say I wish they would have just scrapped the sidekicks and put the resources towards making one full companion instead. Things being what they are, I don't see myself ever using them in place of a full companion or a character I create myself.

This is pretty much my feelings about it.

I won't use the sidekicks because for me there is no point if all they are are the equivalent of hired adventurers with a couple voice over lines. I would have much preferred an extra single full companion to 4 barely fleshed out ones.

Maybe they will do the justice to Ydwin (I wasn't a backer and don't know anything about her yet) in the DLC's.

Again, be great if a dev could drop a line here to give us a hint.

Existing companions don't get that much content, including interactions between companions themselves. Also very little banter. Rekke is suddenly hilarious with his wall of conversation options out of nowhere though. Wonder how that happened.

Basically, what I'm doing is spouting negativity: if everyone's favourite walking corpse gets this sort of DLC, it probably won't be that good.

I doubt it. It could be more complex to change old, than create a new.

There is a problem in community with aproach "I dont like the Thing, and if somebody likes the Thing, i want them to suffer." which is not very constructive.

If i dont like companion, i dont pick him/her into party and just move on.

If DLC have new characters that could be interesting. But better 1 good, than 5 hires with portraits.

With Sidekick there need to be found the golden spot with not so much work for devs, but enought text for players to feel "yes that is definetly a character and i like/hate it".

BG2 characters had like 10 min of text.

Personal Quest or relations net could be reserved only for some. Althought personal quest is probably easier than relations network.

There is an idea of giving companions more options for class combos. So OE could make 1 companion and players will have freedom what class he will be (at least more freedom).

Other aproach is to create background template for hires. You make custom hire, and then add backgroudn and companion premade. But this is too crazy idea, not enought people will have fun of it.

Edited by evilcat

Given that white March came with 3 new companions I have to think the DLCs will include quite a bit of this. Whether brand new companions, sidekicks, or upgraded sidekicks we likely won’t know for a couple months.

I’d like to see a few more nonstandard companions like Devil of Caroc. Maybe a xaurip or Ogre?

There was no promise but it could happen. Zahua was planned for the first pillars game but cut and added in the white march dlc. So it's possible that if they have plans to add more companions in dlc they will add Ydwin as there were already plans to make her a full companion. Wouldn't get your hopes up though.

Edited by Mikeymoonshine

Given that white March came with 3 new companions I have to think the DLCs will include quite a bit of this. Whether brand new companions, sidekicks, or upgraded sidekicks we likely won’t know for a couple months.

I’d like to see a few more nonstandard companions like Devil of Caroc. Maybe a xaurip or Ogre?

Well...

A pale elf fampyr that managed to free herself from Berath's Wheel of reincarnation

is pretty non-standard, don't you think  ;) ?

Having said that, I don't believe that Ydwin or any sidekick will be upgraded to full companions with all bells and whistles - there are just too many new variables and writing to consider with the relationship system. There is also a matter of full voice acting that is also resource-heavy.  I personally would be happy with Obsidian giving Ydwin some fairly limited player-only interactions and banters (similar to those in BG2) and maybe some small personal quest dealing with

her condition

in the upcoming DLCs. I think she's too interesting of a concept to leave her completely without content. 

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 1

Blah. Pass. Do something useful with the DLC instead of trying to flesh out Emo MissGothypants with more cliches and idiocy.

At this point, the only use for the sidekicks is filler because most of the seven companions are inherently factionalized. Unfortunately the class selections of the sidekicks are a problem in making them useful replacements for several companions- priest and paladin choices in particular would have improved their lot immensely.

Edited by Voss

Blah. Pass. Do something useful with the DLC instead of trying to flesh out Emo MissGothypants with more cliches and idiocy.

At this point, the only use for the sidekicks is filler because most of the seven companions are inherently factionalized. Unfortunately the class selections of the sidekicks are a problem in making them useful replacements for several companions- priest and paladin choices in particular would have improved their lot immensely.

I've met her in game and she really isn't Goth, more like distracted nerdy girl if you really want to use a cliche descriptor. 

I've met her in game and she really isn't Goth, more like distracted nerdy girl if you really want to use a cliche descriptor. 

They just need to make her a loli or have twin tails and she's a walking anime or a teenager first Mary sue character design.

They just need to make her a loli or have twin tails and she's a walking anime or a teenager first Mary sue character design.

For the record, I've got nothing against pig-tails or goths who like lollipops.

But to be fair in the brief introduction I got to her character in game there was nothing gothic about her. She's an animancer. Also a bit of a nerd, but then so was Liara T'Soni and she was my blue waifu during my time with Mass Effect. 

Not every character can be original, and a trope done well is sometimes better than a poorly written "original" character.

• Like 2

For the record, I've got nothing against pig-tails or goths who like lollipops.

But to be fair in the brief introduction I got to her character in game there was nothing gothic about her. She's an animancer. Also a bit of a nerd, but then so was Liara T'Soni and she was my blue waifu during my time with Mass Effect. 

Not every character can be original, and a trope done well is sometimes better than a poorly written "original" character.

Modern Meme Goth = people wearing black+purple/red/green with dark cloud all around them.

Her character/background is better used on a more nerdy looking char, not miss white hair with red eyes anime. Something like Xoti wearing big glasses would fit way better. Ydwin just feels like they are trying too hard.

Edited by Zeitzbach

There was no talk for upgrading sidekicks to companios by the developers ever. It was just a demand by drooling backers because they liked Ydwin.

There was early Josh twitter or tumblr post saying that it would be possible to make Ydwin a full companion with an expansion and introduce another sidekick. However, it was early on, and as expansions seem rather modest ($10 each) I don’t think it will happen.

• Like 1

This is what really happened in the Obsidian office.

A nameless promising writer comes up to the Pillar of Sawyerity and says:

- Oh, almighty Josh! I'm the new blood of this board corrupted studio and I've got this absolutely wonderful based off my PHD in animancy cool and sexy ex companion idea everybody else in the world likes so much. Let's make her a full companion in PoE 2.

- No. - cuts Josh

- Why?

- Because we've gonna make a return of Pallegina the companion everyone absolutely hated in PoE1.

- But why?

- Because I'm the boss and we're making companions based off my good-for-dismissing and forgetting forever as a bad nightmare exes.

Edited by mrmonocle

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I like Pallegina (and Sagani)

Dont like Durance (no love for fanatics).

Some people dislike Eder as "clown companion, garrus wannabe"

Dont mind a bit cliche. Worst case, will pick someone else.

Any idea, event the best, orignal and everything... someone will write "Worst character EVER! I hope writter will die in pain".

I liked Pallegina too. She was underdeveloped in PoE but I'm glad she returns in Deadfire so we can see more of her.

I hope you didn't have her banished from Republics in your PoE 1 playthrough. Otherwise prepare to be yelled at. Constantly. I guess some people see the appeal of such highly-confrontational character. I myself kicked her out of my group after she started picking fights with Xoti and Tekehu.

As for Ydwin - she's fine. She looks and behaves the way she does for a reason. I'm not going to pretend that the rest of Deadfire companions are somehow super-deep, original and thought-provoking characters, beacuse most of them are - at least for me - pretty basic, if enjoyable stuff. 

Ydwin's more of a lorebait for me rather than a waifubait. Her backstory is legitimately interesting and unique, her character quirks are fun - she's a quite developed personality-wise for a sidekick. She drops a whole bunch of pretty interesting plot hooks

some of which may forshadow the ending

, especially if you pass all her skill checks. All of this ultimately goes nowhere beacuse sidekicks literally have zero content after you recruit them, which I find infuriating. Which is why I would like to see her expanded in some way in DLCs. Also, for those interested - at this point I think it can be safely assumed that any potential future romance with her is off the table - unless the writers are very creative and/or open-minded to a shameful degree.

• Like 2

She's a pale, socially awkward blood drinker who ignored convention and did a stupid experiment with her own soul to achieve a kind of immortality. That's pretty much the goth ideal (even thouh it completely falls apart at the last bit in the real world). I really don't know what the term goth means to you at this point, unless you're bringing in the Gothic tribes from early European history.

@akrasjel- if there is zero content after you recruit her, she doesn't have plot hooks. A few plot references maybe, but those would have been exactly the same if she'd been a static NPC rather than a sidekick.

Edited by Voss

I think Ydwin will be introduced as a full companion in one of the future expansions. Out of all the expansions that are revealed, I'm betting that she'll be introduced as a full companion in the Beast of Winter expansion. The expansion states that it will 'take your party to an island populated by a mysterious doomsday cult, that hides an ancient secret. Players will get to experience adventuring in "The Beyond," a mysterious dimension populated by ancient souls and filled with devilish challenges'. Come on! The Beast of Winter is also the name for Rymrgand, the main god that Ydwin's people, the pale elves worship. Also, Ydwin's obsessed with souls, so the fact that you're going to a dimension populated by ancient 'souls' is no mere coincidence. I think they're planning something big with Ydwin in the future

• Like 1