I do t think they are weak at all... Devoted/Sharpshooter or Assasination/Sharpshooter will two-shot most things. However they are kinda boring just standing still and shooting every few seconds.

Oh, man. Assassin/Sharpshooter is one of my favorites.

Joe

• Like 1

It becomes even better once monk get that extra hit on crit passive.

Heartbeat Drumming? According to the wiki, it works on melee weapon crits, so not bows.

It's really hilarious if fighter/monk is the best bow user.

except berserker can do everything the devoted does better damage and speedwise. just need to control that confuse which isnt hard.

to me it comes down to sharpshooter vs berserker

Edited by dudex

Is Sharpshooter even worth taking as a subclass?  I ask this question for this reason.

The Sharpshooter still has a pet to careful and provide abilities for, which means that you are giving up a fair number of ability points that otherwise could go into developing a truly dedicated sniper.  OTOH, a Ghost Heart having no pet, if you choose to never call your spirit pet, can dedicate all of those ability points into the ranger himself.  And this above all else makes me wonder if the Ghost Heart is really the better choice for an optimized sniper Ranger.

• Like 1

Items weight too much.

As example, one blunderbuss have -40 reload time, and another -40% from ability. And one pistol have stackable -15% recovery on hit.

So summary (if bug fixed ofc) we can reach more than 1 shoot/sec, wich can easy outdamage frostseeker.

Or one arquebuse have +75% speed ability for 25 sec. Give it to wizard, and land spells as much as you can.

Another arquebuse can do 2 shots in a row, without a reload penalty for second shot. 

I really disappointed - why here too much imbalance items and abilities.

Crucis,

Usually you cant avoid pet's passive, bcs ranger's skill tree have poor choice, especially at low level.

Edited by Zzz

Ranger/ Helwalker with Frostseeker bow is gamebreaking good.

Might be a silly question, but how do you generate wounds on ranger/helwaker if u stand in the backline? Or is Helwalker just for passives?

Dance of Death.

Rangers were bad in PoE1? Lol?

They were the worst class for a long while iirc (in 1.xx game version) but got some buffs with White March (or maybe even before that) becoming quite respectable (White March talents and gear definitely helped too.) It was very common to hear people calling rangers bad, then being corrected, "they're decent/good now." Old lessons.

Edited by Clerith
  • Like 2

While Frostseeker is one of the better and cooler options it's more down to swift flurry. Rods (and there's one with innate bounce effect?) and blunderbusses can replicate the effect and Devoted might have more of an argument there (less need for driving flight or more need for penetration).

Rangers driving flight really brings this up to eleven though which is something Devoted cannot do without tight pack density. Admittedly the animal companion can be annoying to keep around especially since the focus is on the shooting but you can't get stalker's link up if you don't have one around. Survival of the Fittest + 10 to acc. is also being overlooked but it can actually apply as the Swift Flurry salvo is triggering which is important since Wounding Shot's acc. bonus only applies to the first 3 shots.

Honestly I think it's a huge improvement to have such powerful gear you can base builds around. In my eyes PoE 1 had a problem of throwing weak loot at you that had all this cool lore but ended up in your stash once you were done reading it. This was basically every soulbound item as well.

Driving flight works in a very narrow angle behind your target, which means you can't count on it. Frostseeker shots 3 times but does very little damage. A chanter, a monk, a rogue or a cipher can deal much more ranged damage than a ranger. 

You keep forgetting the animal companion. If you want to compare the damage potential or usefulness of classes you can't leave it aside. Even with 0 abilities for the animal companion it's still there, scaling with level, doing damage and working as a permanent summon. No injuries and only a bit of a debuff when it goes down. I think we all agree that summons are powerful. Why does everybody say that a permanent summon that you can improve with abilities is not?

Also everybody keeps forgetting Evasive Fire which I find pretty good. Check the stats: range(!), base damage (not weapon related) and recovery and cost. It's a very good ability in my book.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You keep forgetting the animal companion. If you want to compare the damage potential or usefulness of classes you can't leave it aside. Even with 0 abilities for the animal companion it's still there, scaling with level, doing damage and working as a permanent summon. No injuries and only a bit of a debuff when it goes down. I think we all agree that summons are powerful. Why does everybody say that a permanent summon that you can improve with abilities is not?

Also everybody keeps forgetting Evasive Fire which I find pretty good. Check the stats: range(!), base damage (not weapon related) and recovery and cost. It's a very good ability in my book.

I don't forget the pet, however the discussion was about the ranged damage potential... And right now the ranger should be considered the pet and the animal your main.  8)

I don't forget the pet, however the discussion was about the ranged damage potential... And right now the ranger should be considered the pet and the animal your main.  8)

But the animal companion is part of the damage a ranger deals. So with Marked Prey, Stalker's Link, + animal companion, the ranger is fairly lethal. I've always considered the animal companion a sort of ranged weapon, part of the ranger ethos.

That said, I do wish the ranger had a boost or two with ranged weapons. You know, that whole "range" part of "ranger" thing. Or at least reduce some of the malus effects of the talents/skills.

Still one of my favorite classes and an effective multi-class choice.

Joe

But the animal companion is part of the damage a ranger deals. So with Marked Prey, Stalker's Link, + animal companion, the ranger is fairly lethal. I've always considered the animal companion a sort of ranged weapon, part of the ranger ethos.

That said, I do wish the ranger had a boost or two with ranged weapons. You know, that whole "range" part of "ranger" thing. Or at least reduce some of the malus effects of the talents/skills.

Joe

OTOH, I consider the animal companion to be a pain in the posterior and NOT part of the  Ranger ethos.  A/C's should have been a level 1 ability that you got to choose whether or not you wanted to have one as a  ranger.  Not everybody likes dragging around a damned pet that you have to dump ability points into when some might prefer to put them entirely into the Ranger and not worry about the bleeping animal.

• Like 1

Joe

OTOH, I consider the animal companion to be a pain in the posterior and NOT part of the  Ranger ethos.  A/C's should have been a level 1 ability that you got to choose whether or not you wanted to have one as a  ranger.  Not everybody likes dragging around a damned pet that you have to dump ability points into when some might prefer to put them entirely into the Ranger and not worry about the bleeping animal.

Not to sound negative but are you for real? Ranger is a pet class, don't like it? Fine take a Fighter or Rogue for your ranged dmg.

• Like 4

Joe

Not to sound negative but are you for real? Ranger is a pet class, don't like it? Fine take a Fighter or Rogue for your ranged dmg.

I am absolutely 100% for real.  (To paraphrase Nick Fury from Iron Man 2, "I'm as real as it gets.")  I never EVER "troll".  I find trolls, people who only post crap they don't believe just to rile others up, to be disgusting.  I completely believe what I wrote.  Never doubt that anything I write is something I believe (as long as you are reading it in context).

Furthermore, I didn't suggest doing a  way with pets entirely.  I suggested making them an OPTION.

As for rangers being a pet class, I call Bovine Scatology.  PoE is based on the old BG and IWD D&D games, where rangers were NOT a "pet class".

Edited by Crucis

You shouldn't buy or play PoE, then. You won't be happy. Buy and play a different game. You should be happy.

Joe

You shouldn't buy or play PoE, then. You won't be happy. Buy and play a different game. You should be happy.

Joe

To be fair. Most classes have the choice on what to pick. Play a wizard? You can play a nuker, summoner, or even a melee, you are not forced into a game mechanic. Ranger? Yeah, have your pet no matter what you do.

Joe

Or I can play POE and make my considerable displeasure know as I see fit.

I don't understand the complaints about the pet being a major part of the class. This hasn't changed since the first game. This game isn't BG or D&D or any other game with a Ranger class. In this game the pet is not optional, it is an integral part of the class - more so than attacking from range (melee Rangers are just as viable). If you want a Ranged martial class without a pet you can make a Fighter or Rogue or something (actually there are many more options). I don't see the point of complaining about this since it's definitely not going to change.

• Like 3