Skill checks with 2 symbols - additive or alternative?

When exploring, you often have skripted events that check for both survival and perception (on the same character).

Are the two scores added together? Is there any difference if I send a PER 18 / Survival 0 or a PER 10 / survival 8 character?

Would a PER 18 / survival 8 character fare better than any of the above?

There are other "dual" checks as well, but these are the most prominent.

Edited by Tomice

It seems to be a "one or the other" check most times, but there are definitely exceptions.

For example, the ever popular PER / Survival check... I'm quite certain from what I've seen that this is that you either need 'x' Perception, OR, 'x' Survival. Not both, not added together.

However there are rare cases where there are multiple checks in a row after the first, i.e. first check Perception to see if you noticed the people in the woods about to shoot at you, THEN check that same characters DEX to see if you reacted quickly enough (this is just an example).

The second type of scenario doesn't give you any foreknowledge as to what type it might be, but these are quite rare. Personally, I'm a fan of this type of scripted event but I can understand how some others might not be.

• Like 1

My experience fits with what fortuntek wrote above. And often there is a "/" between them (or maybe that was just in conversation?). Usually the checks are either/or, but in some rare cases you need both abilities.

As in the first game, there are also some cases where Athletics is needed for all party members. I have come across one case where Aloth got injured because he didn't make the threshold check.

it is, stealth checks for example seems to be a party wide thing where if one party member is too low, the entire group is found.

Thank you for the response, but that's not what I meant.

There seem to be checks for one person where two skills determine the outcome.

As far as I can tell, two Versions exist: where 2 skill scores are added, and where either/or may yield success.

(e.g. you need either 18 INT or 5 metaphysics to understand an uncommon telepatic message).