Bug when launching in Steam (Win10), black screen and pointer only

thraxx

Question

I have a problem when launching in Steam, I get a black screen with the title music and I can move the pointer (gloved hand) but nothing else happens. I can't change to windowed mode via Alt+Enter, nor does it do anything when clicking anywhere in the screen. I tried it before installing the latest nvidia drivers and then with the latest one, but getting same error. Tried changing it to Windowed mode in Steam Advanced Launch options but nothing. Couldn't find any other config file in the steam installation folder to modify to change the screen to fulscreen or windowed.

Attached is my dxdiag file. 

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

I was able to fix the issue.  Apparently, the game doesn't like to run at high resolutions.

Steps that worked for me:

1. I set my windows resolution down from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200 and relaunched the game.
  2. Game launched and was now visible, but was not entirely within the boundaries of the monitor.
  3. ALT-ENTER scaled the UI to fit within the monitor
  4. Go into graphic settings and change the game to use 1920x1200 resolution (it defaulted to windows max of 2560x1600)
  5. save settings and quit game
  6. Reset windows resolution to preference (I set it back to max of 2560x1600)
  7. relaunch game (it will now be in 1920x1200 and visible!)

Woot.

I managed to solve the black screen issue! (at least for us using Windows)

I did it by changing my monitor resolution down to something awful like 1280x768 and launched the game. This time it allowed me to see the start screen and get into the Graphics options. I changed it there to my monitor's normal resolution (1680x1050) and quit the game. Then I reset my monitor resolution in Windows to 1680x1050 and launched the game again. Now it works!

• Like 1

Same issue here. In my case I can't even see the cursor

• Steam
  • Windows 10
  • 1920x1080 monitor.

Thraxx fix worked, but I have to change my monitor resolution every single time I launch the game.

Any info if this will be fixed soon?

I have the same problem with black screen when i launch the game i get the 2 logos and then a black screen with pointer (gloved hand) and the music running if i press ESC screen looks like the attached screenshot. cant seem to fix at all, also made a DxDiag.txt with the game launched

I have the same problem with black screen when i launch the game i get the 2 logos and then a black screen with pointer (gloved hand) and the music running if i press ESC screen looks like the attached screenshot. cant seem to fix at all, also made a DxDiag.txt with the game launched

I works now was on my end something was wrong  :yes: