Scale-Breaker and Mental Prowess not carrying over?

PowerOfKaishin

Question

13 answers to this question

I think they're SUPPOSED to transfer after a moment later in the story. I know for a fact my luck talent from White March's minigames did transfer after the second conversation with Eothas, so I assume the other talents transfer later. I didn't see either in my game though, and I did have them on the import.

I've gotten Gift from the Machine from the second Eothas convo but that's it. Given the sheer number of permanent buffs possible in Pillars 1 and how very short the main quest of Pillars 2 seems to be, I'm skeptical you ever get them all back in Deadfire.

I've gotten Gift from the Machine from the second Eothas convo but that's it. Given the sheer number of permanent buffs possible in Pillars 1 and how very short the main quest of Pillars 2 seems to be, I'm skeptical you ever get them all back in Deadfire.

It's this that I've seen mentioned multiple times and the dialog in that meeting with Eothas itself that makes me think there's another import bug going on.  I went through that conversation and he 

gave me a chunk of my soul back

and at the end of it all nothing had changed, no new abilities, not even my standard watcher abilities changes which given all of that seemed....odd 

I did get an upgrade to my standard two watcher abilities after the subsequent chat with the gods, but still no new traits.

I even rushed to the end of the next main quest to see if that would trigger it and still no luck even after 

you basically get the rest of your soul back from Eothas at Ashen Maw

I'd really love if there was some clarity for all of this.  I get being circumspect about what carries over and how your choices affect things so the mystery remains but in the same regard when there's major import bugs as well as retcons that mystery quickly becomes whether your game is broken or the bits of your characters past that were significant to you were ignored which is...unfortunate... 

Bugs are understandable and happen as are retcons when you're dealing with sequels to games with a lot of choice.  It's just the lack of information that's somewhat frustrating >_<. Can we please please please get an official answer on which choices carried traits over to make this all nice and simple? Pretty please?

Are there dragons in this game?

Yep.

Water, Fire & Construct dragons, so 3

You can talk yourself out of 2/3 of those encounters, and doing so for one will help you later in the game.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

It's this that I've seen mentioned multiple times and the dialog in that meeting with Eothas itself that makes me think there's another import bug going on.  I went through that conversation and he 

gave me a chunk of my soul back

and at the end of it all nothing had changed, no new abilities, not even my standard watcher abilities changes which given all of that seemed....odd 

I did get an upgrade to my standard two watcher abilities after the subsequent chat with the gods, but still no new traits.

I even rushed to the end of the next main quest to see if that would trigger it and still no luck even after 

you basically get the rest of your soul back from Eothas at Ashen Maw

I'd really love if there was some clarity for all of this.  I get being circumspect about what carries over and how your choices affect things so the mystery remains but in the same regard when there's major import bugs as well as retcons that mystery quickly becomes whether your game is broken or the bits of your characters past that were significant to you were ignored which is...unfortunate... 

Bugs are understandable and happen as are retcons when you're dealing with sequels to games with a lot of choice.  It's just the lack of information that's somewhat frustrating >_<. Can we please please please get an official answer on which choices carried traits over to make this all nice and simple? Pretty please?

I oddly found my old "gift from the machine" bonus  after that convo with Eothas. . . but the bonus was on Eder, and it was just the Health bonus, not the Might bonus. That exchange is *definitely* bugged.

It really makes no sense getting nothing from that encounter whether you imported or not so I'm definitely guessing bug there. 

The import issue stands separately though too.  Either I made basically all the wrong choices for an imported game or it's broken in ways that pass without notice (ie triggers where you should gain abilities back not going off), as I've read about multiple buffs from previous choices that are definitely in but received none.  I tried installing the unity console mod and digging through the grantable abilities there but since there are a ton of them and the search requires the correct characters (ie: Edér not Eder), not to mention ones that have carried over will be under a different name, it's pretty hard to find them :(... I did run across a bonus int passive I hoped was the carried over version of mental prowess but as I haven't received it yet either it's bugged or it's unrelated.

As I said before transparency here would be a huge help, hell at the very least it would give players an option for a manual fix until patches come in via either the ingame console or the unity console mod.

*edit*
Ok dug around in the files again... If I'm interpreting the legacy history file correctly the only abilities the watcher gets from past decisions are

Basically from the negative ones. ie: Gift from the machine, the various effigy sacrifices and Skaen's boon

You should get all of those bar Skaen's boon from the conversation with Eothas in Hasonga. This is just talents though, obviously other decisions lead to items and other benefits. Also the lack of companion talents means I did miss something but that section might be watcher only?

One random aside from digging through those files.... There's a conversationbundle for hasonga with the name 'testacles'...very sadly there doesn't seem to be a dialog file linked to this in the localized section but damn am I curious as to what it's there for...If anyone with a better understanding of the file structure than me could have a poke around and find out I'd be ever so grateful ;) *second edit* There's also one for each Neketaka district..nowhere else though

Edited by Chaoticlusts