sidekicks as companions in expansions?

I'm the kind of guy who only uses the companions in my party rather than any self-made mercenaries, even when it makes the game harder. When I first encountered Ydwin she ticked all the right boxes for me and would definitely have been a mainstay in all my playthroughs after that, I loved that introductory conversation so much. So when I remembered that she was a sidekick without relationships with either the watcher or any other companions I got very disappointed. I'd wager that other people feel the same about at least one sidekick as well.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to flesh out sidekicks and make them companions in the expansion packs? Because if there are it would make my next three months.

• Like 2

It would be nice to have new companion in 3 dlcs.

It would also be nice to sidekicks in dlcs, as long as they have some personalities and some lines of text.

It would be great if companions and sidekicks could have more than 3 class options. Like could Ydwin be wizzard/cipher with Enchantress specialization? That would fit i suppose. As long as this extra classes would somehow make sense.

Or Maia Ranger/Fighter. Xoti Monk/Priest/Chanter. (she is good with dead souls).

I doubt in upgrade of sidekicks to companions, that could be more work than imagine.

Edited by evilcat

I really want them to at least flesh out Ydwin... turn her into an actual companion even though the goal wasn't reached I felt like she was doomed from the start being so low on the list.

Edited by Vyrulisse

Ydwin was supposed to be a full companion as the last stretch goal.  Due to some people having a ridiculous issue with her design,  we didn't make it.  They went out of their way to make an issue of it and cost some pledges.  People are very shortsighted.  I wish Obisidian would have just made her one to make a point.  I'm sure it wouldn't have been that hard.

• Like 3

Due to some people having a ridiculous issue with her design,  we didn't make it.  They went out of their way to make an issue of it and cost some pledges. 

What? You think the reason we didn't reach that stretch goal is because people complained about her design? That's a bit of a stretch.

• Like 8

It'd be nice to see happen, especially in a patch, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. White March's new companions were barely integrated into the rest of the game, and from all appearances the three Deadfire expansions are even less ambitious that White March.

Ydwin was supposed to be a full companion as the last stretch goal.  Due to some people having a ridiculous issue with her design,  we didn't make it.  They went out of their way to make an issue of it and cost some pledges.  People are very shortsighted.  I wish Obisidian would have just made her one to make a point.  I'm sure it wouldn't have been that hard.

What was the issue with her design?

What was the issue with her design?

There are none.

But some players spotted she wears glasses and has white hair so must be smartdonkey tsundere goth waifu bait. Which is a bit racist against pale elves and unfair towards shortsighted folks. But here we are.

Due to some people having a ridiculous issue with her design,  we didn't make it.  They went out of their way to make an issue of it and cost some pledges. 

What? You think the reason we didn't reach that stretch goal is because people complained about her design? That's a bit of a stretch.

An almost 300k stretch I would say.

• Like 4

I think it would be cool to have some of the crew members as sidekick type party members, instead of the sidekicks. The one's who are young-ish and able to fight should be able to join you on adventuring.

nowt

I would actually love it if they add some kind of monster side kick, especially an imp one since the creatures do display a lot of kith-like understanding and intelligence.

Ydwin feels kinda lame tbh with the whole "White Hair Red Eye Pretty girl Vampire" poputraitbait. Those kind of design only really work because they aren't fleshed out and the mystery around them is what make them so attractive.

Yeah 

I would actually love it if they add some kind of monster side kick, especially an imp one since the creatures do display a lot of kith-like understanding and intelligence.

Ydwin feels kinda lame tbh with the whole "White Hair Red Eye Pretty girl Vampire" poputraitbait. Those kind of design only really work because they aren't fleshed out and the mystery around them is what make them so attractive.

Or the Xaurip you can get as a crew member, crew members should be upgraded to sidekicks. It seems to make sense, i'm paying them anyway! At least the younger/stronger ones.

nowt

I can already guess how Ydwin story will turn out.

"A random animacy experiment gone wrong and now, I'm like an immortal half-fampyr and I'm trying to research a way to revert it so I can finally die" you can either choose to get her to accept her life and use the power for good or finish her research and she dies at the end.

.... Kinda like Devil from PoE1.

And not just the xaurip cook! We also need a Lagufeth deckhand!

• Like 1

Every time people wish for an expanded Ydwin, I look at Konstanten and weep.

This is a very likely problem with considering upgrading any single sidekick to companion status.  There will always be someone who would prefer to see sidekick B upgraded rather than sidekick A.

Personally, from what little I know, I'd prefer Ydwin, because she seems so unique, though the idea of such a cosmopolitan looking Pale Elf seems at odds with the idea that Pale Elves come from what feels like the frontiers of civilization on Eora.  Still, I haven't run into any of the other sidekicks, but I have seen their pics and class options.  She just seems like the most interesting one to me.

• Like 1

Did anyone try to adventure with sidekicks? Is there anything[/i) outside the elevator pitch, which is their introduction? I was expecting them to be key characters in major side quests who stick with you after all is done, but one of them is literally:

-Hey, what you do?

-I massage people. I have big hands.

-you don’t seem to like it here. Wanna crush some skulls?

-Yup.

Why? How? What for? Who are you?

Didn’t find all of them, but Ydwin at least did have a reason to tag along.

• Like 1

I'd say this is unlikely to happen because integrating new companions into the relationship system seems overly difficult. Not only would they need to get the sidekick's voice actor back into the studio, but also all the companion actors to voice knew relationship content. (Although I guess they at least know where to find all the Critical Role people in one place ...)

• Like 5

They're going to have to do all of that anyways right? Pretty much everyone expects to get new companions in the expansions, and they will need all the voice actors back for that, so why not expand upon Ydwin rather than make a new companion?