Beta Branch Access - Steam & GOG Galaxy

David Benefield

Question

Patch Beta Testing

Starting with our v1.2 patch, we will be making builds available early on the Beta Branches of Steam and GOG Galaxy. As we did with Pillars I, we were happy to be able to provide early access to our patches, while they were still being worked on and tested by our team. This means we can get critical fixes out to our players a bit faster, and also get your help in finding any edge cases where fixes result in new bugs, or a fix doesn't entirely resolve an issue.

What are the Benefits?

• Players can get early access to some critical bug fixes.
  • Developer's can get help from Players to ensure this patch is ready to go live to everyone.

What are the limitations?

• These patches may be unstable. We are intentionally sending them to the beta branch before they have been fully tested, so big issues may occur.
  • The branch may update frequently, or infrequently. We will make a post to the Patch Beta Bugs and Support sub-forum whenever we post an update, however we might do many updates to this branch leading up to a patch release. This can mean many downloads from the platform that can eat up bandwidth, and delay you from playing if you have to wait for the update.
  • On GOG, we will only be running this beta for Windows and OSX users using GOG Galaxy. We do not have an efficient method of getting these betas out to Linux users through the GOG platform at this time.

To everyone who decides to help test our Beta Branches, thank you. We are consistently astounded at the community and support for Pillars, and your input and time are a tremendous reason for the quality of what we've accomplished so far.

Bug Reporting

For bugs being reported from the beta branch, it is most helpful if you report the bugs within the Patch Beta Bugs and Support forum, so that we can tell them apart from the base game bugs. If the issue happens in both the base game and the beta, then please report it in the regular Technical Support forum.

For more information on how to report bugs, please see this post.

So, how do I get started?

Please find the instructions below for for how to access the Beta branch for your platform:

Steam

To access the Beta branch on Steam, please follow these steps:

1) In your Steam Library Right click on Pillars of Eternity II, and select "Properties"

SteamImage1.png

2) Select the "Beta" Tab, and click the Drop Down for labeled "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", and instead select "Beta - Public Beta branch for upcoming patches"

SteamImage2.png

3) Close the Window, and you should have a download ready. Attempting to play the game should automatically trigger the download.

How to switch back on Steam:

To switch back and opt out of all betas, simply repeat the Steps above, but select "None - Opt out of all Betas" from the drop down list in Step 3.

GOG Galaxy

To access the Beta Branch on GOG Galaxy, please follow these steps:

1) Proceed to the game card for your game in the GOG Galaxy client.

GOG_SetUpPic_1.png

2) Proceed to the game's settings via the "More" option, and select "Settings"

GOG_SetUpPic_2.png

3) Select "ON" from the drop down menu in the "Beta Channels" option on the right hand side.

GOG_SetUpPic_3.png

4) A "Channel" option should now be visible. And in the Dropdown should be the option for "Beta"

GOG_SetUpPic_4.png

5) After selecting this option, GOG Galaxy should automatically start your download of the beta branch.

How to Switch back on GOG Galaxy:

To switch back, simply repeat the steps above, but choose "default" in the Channel Drop down options.

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Oh and I thought I was the only one :/ ...

I really need the fixed difficulty patch so I can play 

Between the "real thing" and the "indistinguishable fake" which is worth more?

-Of course, the real thing worth more.

-They have equal value.

-The fake is of far greater value. In its deliberate attempt to be real,

its more "real" than the real thing.

~The choice is yours~

It's not that much harder to be honest.

Still wrecking the game on a solo POTD monk ^^

Edit:

OK, the increased difficulty definitely shows, actually.

You get many more misses, many less crits, take much more damage.

At level 20 even on a solo character it's still very doable, but you do have to be much more careful.

Edited by dam

Will save files created in the beta work in the final release of the patch, meaning if I start a new game with the beta patch will I be able to load the saves when the patch releases officially ?

Thanks for any replies.

• Like 1

Will save files created in the beta work in the final release of the patch, meaning if I start a new game with the beta patch will I be able to load the saves when the patch releases officially ?

Thanks for any replies.

damm I really hope that :) but good question? 

It's not that much harder to be honest.

Still wrecking the game on a solo POTD monk ^^

Edit:

OK, the increased difficulty definitely shows, actually.

You get many more misses, many less crits, take much more damage.

At level 20 even on a solo character it's still very doable, but you do have to be much more careful.

Should it even be possible to complete the game on POTD with a solo character? 

Thanks for any replies.

Yes. Saves should always be forward compatible, that is if you opt into the beta, and then we release a new version, your saves should continue to work; unless there is a bug in the beta branch, which is possible. We try to check for this before we launch new builds to the beta, but there's always a chance that something gets by.

• Like 1

Do I have to start new game after incoming patch 2.0 ? I really want to play now, but I don´t want start new game after two weeks.

Nope! 2.0 will be compatible with all previous saves. There may be some bug fixes that only affect new saves, but we do our best to make all fixes retroactive when possible.

• Like 1