Well high perception is going to help with crits so maybe a class that will get the most from more frequent crits. Something multiclassed with a Skald might work for you since crits help you get phrases more quickly (50% chance to get +1 phrase on crit). From there, maybe add a close/mid range dps because the offensive invocations have shorter range, maybe a barbarian (aoe attacks = more chance to crit).

I think a barbarian/skald (howler) could be pretty interesting if that's your kind of character.

Edited by Urocyon

In Pillars 1, I played a max PER Barbarian focused on interrupting enemies.  It was the first build I played that game with and was very successful.  I'm not even sure if PER still affects interrupt rating or even how interrupts work in PoE2 but it was great in the first game.  The specifics can be found in the Pillars 1 forum in the thread "The Obsidian Boards' character builds" (it's pinned to the top of the forum).  Look for the interrupt Barbarian build there if you're curious.

honesetly,  i think that after playing a bit and trying stuff out that perception and dexterity are really important for strikers - especially perception....so really any DPS profits from it...the game does a bit a poor job explaining it because its for nearly no class a recommended skill....even with high perception you miss quite a lot.

And for some reason i seeme to miss with 2 handed weapons way more than with others - even on characters that have much more perception than others

Remember you can stack attribute bonuses from different items now. +4 at least should be possible by endgame, I think.

Ok so to recap,

Need 20 Perception to be able to spot everything by endgame.

It's possible to get +4 Perception from items by endgame.

Attributes are never increased from leveling.

Conclusion:  16 perception is the optimal starting point for your "Trap & Hidden Secret Finder" party member?

Remember you can stack attribute bonuses from different items now. +4 at least should be possible by endgame, I think.

Ok so to recap,

Need 20 Perception to be able to spot everything by endgame.

It's possible to get +4 Perception from items by endgame.

Attributes are never increased from leveling.

Conclusion: 16 perception is the optimal starting point for your "Trap & Hidden Secret Finder" party member?

I think 16 per is the sweet spot, yeah. Look at it this way, you'll spot most things even if you're only wearing a +1/2 item, and if you hear of a OMG item that's really well hidden you can just grab all the PER gear you have, slap it on and go get the item.

Best way to do it in my opinion, unless you REALLY can afford 18 PER.

The answer to all your questions is:  "Smoke Svef Every Day." 

Seriously-- it's +5 PER for 180 seconds, and both of those scale up meaningfully with higher Alchemy. 

(Coral Snuff also works-- it's +3 in each of the mental attributes.  Sadly, you can't stack 2 Drug effects.) 

• Like 2

It's a bit annoying that the companions in my party has no more than 13 Perception, and I rolled a character with 10..... R.I.P hidden secrets.

Exactly this!

I'm playing a godlike Cipher myself, so little use for perception, and both Eder and Ydwin, the only available rogues, have 11 and 15 perception.

So for my next playthrough I'll have to ditch Eder for Ydwin to be able to find most traps if I'm not playing a rogue myself.

(Because to me it makes sense to have the rogue sneaking around, picking locks/pockets and finding/disarming traps)

It's a bit annoying that the companions in my party has no more than 13 Perception, and I rolled a character with 10..... R.I.P hidden secrets.

Exactly this!

I'm playing a godlike Cipher myself, so little use for perception, and both Eder and Ydwin, the only available rogues, have 11 and 15 perception.

So for my next playthrough I'll have to ditch Eder for Ydwin to be able to find most traps if I'm not playing a rogue myself.

(Because to me it makes sense to have the rogue sneaking around, picking locks/pockets and finding/disarming traps)

Why wouldn't Ciphers need Perception? They need it to generate Focus and to hit with powers.

Pretty much all my characters have 20 Perception (don't play pure support).

Unless you are 100 accuracy above enemy defence (does not happen) then it's useful.

Edited by Maxzero
  • Like 1

Exactly this!

Multi Maia into Ranger/Rogue. I think she has 16 Per? Very decent.

She also takes care of the mechanics for me.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

Maia is the only companion that has a reasonable shot at finding hidden stuff.  And giving her high Perception is quite good.  Companions / Sidekicks seem to be built with intentionally bad stats for reasons (rpg?  bad rolls?  who knows).

Maia (Scout) & Ishi find everything for me, which make them locked in my party with Eder on Mechanics.

Yeah but if their perception wasn't high enough how would you know if you missed anything?

According to the devs the highest check is 20.