The Pillars of Eternity Wiki: The Saga Continues

As with the first installment of Pillars of Eternity, the wiki is here to help you brush up on your lore, companions, and everything that happened thus far. 

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Official_Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki

We're currently in the process of updating it with Deadfire content, which means a whole lot of work. Nearly all of the items are online (item data to be added, because I like doing it manually; I also like hammering nails into walls with my fists), as are seeds for characters, quests, and everything else. 

But Tagz, you cuddly little critter, what will happen should I find something missing?

Well, this is where I'd appreciate a little help. There's me, the insane cat feller who likes to document just about everything, down to Aloth's shaved arm pits, but this kind of precision takes time. If you can add anything, even where to find razors to win Aloth's favor, I'd be grateful. Every single edit helps!

What's the general approach? 

Go wild. 

Hoping to see you guys there! In the meantime, I'm back to taking down an iceberg with a toothpick. :D

• Like 24

Well, navigation can be spotty and I'll be the first to admit that. I'm open to suggestions (plus, after spending the better part of a year overhauling the entire wiki, adding lore, characters, quest coverage, locations etc., I kind of ran out of time to revamp the navigation as well). 

• Like 1

My biggest gripe is that the Rule Set is combined for both titles now. Doing so makes sense for the World of Eora section, but there should be separate Rule Set sections.

We wouldn't want people to end up nuking the PoE1 information, and having both versions in the same page would end up pretty messy.

I like how the FF wiki breaks down each job for each game. Although that site's navigation should not be emulated.

• Like 4

My biggest gripe is that the Rule Set is combined for both titles now. Doing so makes sense for the World of Eora section, but there should be separate Rule Set sections.

We wouldn't want people to end up nuking the PoE1 information, and having both versions in the same page would end up pretty messy.

I like how the FF wiki breaks down each job for each game. Although that site's navigation should not be emulated.

I second this, separating them out by game seems essential.

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The wiki looks very good so far.

All we need is a ruleset section for PoE2, so people do not confuse the mechanics for both games.

I have written some formulas for PoE2 here, but threads get lost very fast in the huge amount of new posts we have every moment.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98616-game-mechanics/

It would be nice to have those formulas in the wiki together with an example.

I have the feeling in PoE1 we had to explain the basic damage formula at least 100 times and hardly anybody knew the speed formula.

With the inversion for negative modifiers players will be even more confused than in PoE1 because the numbers do not add up.

• Like 1

I'll be happy to contribute in any which way I can regarding the wiki. How all of you wish to go about that is up to you but if you need any assistance I'll gladly do so. Things like raw lore may not be my thing but I can assist mostly with references to culture (Real and Pop). I realize that's a minuscule contribution but if I find anything of note I'll disclose it (If that's what the community wishes.)

Of course I'll provide receipts for said information.  :dancing:

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

I find the official wiki a lot more thorough than the fextralife one, especially when it comes to quests and NPCs. Made great use of the "Endings" page when creating my PoE1 game state.

So while I have zero time to do any contribution unfortunately, you guys did a great job so far and have all my support!

• Like 3

Hey, just wanted to drop by and say that the Wiki even has a German translation, here: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Official_Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki/de

Progress is slow since I'm translating all by myself, so... if anyone here speaks both German and English, have a look, aye? ;)

If you do, check by here: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki_talk:Community_portal/de for some help :)

Of course, big thanks to Tagaziel and all contributers for the English Wiki. Without you I'd have nothing to translate ;)

• Like 4

Hey, just wanted to drop by and say that the Wiki even has a German translation, here: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Official_Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki/de

Progress is slow since I'm translating all by myself, so... if anyone here speaks both German and English, have a look, aye? ;)

If you do, check by here: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki_talk:Community_portal/de for some help :)

Of course, big thanks to Tagaziel and all contributers for the English Wiki. Without you I'd have nothing to translate ;)

Maybe Josh would help :p

• Like 1

The wiki looks very good so far.

All we need is a ruleset section for PoE2, so people do not confuse the mechanics for both games.

I have written some formulas for PoE2 here, but threads get lost very fast in the huge amount of new posts we have every moment.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98616-game-mechanics/

It would be nice to have those formulas in the wiki together with an example.

I have the feeling in PoE1 we had to explain the basic damage formula at least 100 times and hardly anybody knew the speed formula.

With the inversion for negative modifiers players will be even more confused than in PoE1 because the numbers do not add up.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire_combat

I've added your formulas under damage calculation, insofar I understood them. I'm not sure I grasp attack rate well. Damn it, Mad, I'm a writer, not a mathematician!

The wiki continues and as of a while ago, we have all the items seeded - consumables included! Now it's filling time. And recipes. And... 

Yeah. Iceberg and toothpicks. Thanks to everyone who's helping out! 

I've started adding in the details for unique weapons (actually I've added precisely one so far: Aamiina's Legacy. There doesn't seem to be a standard template for Abilities/Passives in Deadfire yet so I haven't added pages for the Precision Impact and Precision Impact (Dwarf) yet. I don't want to start my own template in case it sucks and/or there is actually an existing one already.

Also there seems to be a problem with the way the weapon template works in that it doesn't have Attack Time, Recovery Time or Penetration as default options (I added them manually and they seem to work, but I'm not sure if that's how I should have done it).

Finally I think it would be good if the pages for each enchantment had an Upgrades subsection listing the ways in which each enchantment can be upgraded (e.g. for Massuk Arrows you'd have Ongitok Angunisag listed). This will probably take longer to be filled in as its not clear in game which enchantment options upgrade which existing enchantments and which are mutually exclusive.

EDIT: as a side note the damage given for Gladiator Sword is its base damage (it doesn't include the bonus from the Fine enchantment). I've continued this trend with all the weapons I've added so far but I'm not sure its the best way of doing things. Thoughts?

All unique Bows and Crossbows have had their basic details added now by the way.

EDIT2: I noticed that the Gladiator Sword's Fine enchantment links to the page "Fine_(Deadfire)" but, since there are Fine enchantments for weapons, armour and shields this leads to ambiguity so I created a "Fine_weapon_(Deadfire)" page along with equivalent ones for Exceptional, Superb and Legendary (well actually Exceptional and Superb already existed, but I made the capitalisation the same as in game on them). I'd suggest people use these and, at some point, create similar pages for armour and shields.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 4

All gunpowder weapons (with the exception of Blighheart) have had their basic details added as well. I want to wait till we have a good template for Soulbounds before doing Blightheart.

For now I'm done. Surprisingly tiring work adding things manually to the Wiki. No doubt there's a clever way to extract the game data directly but I don't know how.

I've started adding in the details for unique weapons (actually I've added precisely one so far: Aamiina's Legacy. There doesn't seem to be a standard template for Abilities/Passives in Deadfire yet so I haven't added pages for the Precision Impact and Precision Impact (Dwarf) yet. I don't want to start my own template in case it sucks and/or there is actually an existing one already.

Also there seems to be a problem with the way the weapon template works in that it doesn't have Attack Time, Recovery Time or Penetration as default options (I added them manually and they seem to work, but I'm not sure if that's how I should have done it).

First of all, THANK YOU. I'll try to make a point of thanking every contributor individually in the future, but I'm only a catman. I get distracted by shiny things. :)

To the point: The Infobox weapon poe2 template was a straight port of the template from poe1, so it has a number of legacy entries and lacks those for the new system, which is my fault. Adding them manually (attack_time, recovery_time, penetration) works perfectly. I'll probably run a cleanup bot once things wind down, but for now, as long as the infobox shows, it shows.

Finally I think it would be good if the pages for each enchantment had an Upgrades subsection listing the ways in which each enchantment can be upgraded (e.g. for Massuk Arrows you'd have Ongitok Angunisag listed). This will probably take longer to be filled in as its not clear in game which enchantment options upgrade which existing enchantments and which are mutually exclusive.

Good point - though I think it would be better to have a separate section in the article text showing the upgrades, as some items, like Eder's armor have four of them (plus, a table is a good deal more flexible). I'll prototype an example tomorrow.

EDIT: as a side note the damage given for Gladiator Sword is its base damage (it doesn't include the bonus from the Fine enchantment). I've continued this trend with all the weapons I've added so far but I'm not sure its the best way of doing things. Thoughts?

My approach is the opposite: Show the weapon's damage after bonuses apply, since each weapon type has an intrinsic base damage that's modified by the bonuses/enchantments. That's the practice for every unique item, especially since my intention is to allow for casually glancing at the infobox and figuring out what the damage is, without having to calculate them by enchantments.

Awwwwesome <3

EDIT2: I noticed that the Gladiator Sword's Fine enchantment links to the page "Fine_(Deadfire)" but, since there are Fine enchantments for weapons, armour and shields this leads to ambiguity so I created a "Fine_weapon_(Deadfire)" page along with equivalent ones for Exceptional, Superb and Legendary (well actually Exceptional and Superb already existed, but I made the capitalisation the same as in game on them). I'd suggest people use these and, at some point, create similar pages for armour and shields.

Yes, that's what should be done - and what I've been doing since realizing that two days ago. Given that the values are different, separate entries for the enchantments make sense. Plus, with {{!}} you can display them as just Fine/Exceptional/Amazing, so :)

All unique Bows and Crossbows have had their basic details added now by the way.

All gunpowder weapons (with the exception of Blighheart) have had their basic details added as well. I want to wait till we have a good template for Soulbounds before doing Blightheart.

Awwwwesome <3

For now I'm done. Surprisingly tiring work adding things manually to the Wiki. No doubt there's a clever way to extract the game data directly but I don't know how.

The JSON plugin here seems to work:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99410-for-those-wondering-how-to-beautify-the-gamedatabundles/

Of course, I did things the hard way when making the deploy.

Now, imagine doing all of that by hand, just from ingame items. I did that for Tyranny.

• Like 1

My approach is the opposite: Show the weapon's damage after bonuses apply, since each weapon type has an intrinsic base damage that's modified by the bonuses/enchantments. That's the practice for every unique item, especially since my intention is to allow for casually glancing at the infobox and figuring out what the damage is, without having to calculate them by enchantments.

Yep, I'm thinking that's probably the more useful way of doing it. I'll modify my entries when I get time.

Yes, that's what should be done - and what I've been doing since realizing that two days ago. Given that the values are different, separate entries for the enchantments make sense. Plus, with {{!}} you can display them as just Fine/Exceptional/Amazing, so  :)

That's what I've been doing. Same with Inaccurate (there's one for Blunderbusses and one for Arquebuses).

The JSON plugin here seems to work:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99410-for-those-wondering-how-to-beautify-the-gamedatabundles/

Of course, I did things the hard way when making the deploy.

Now, imagine doing all of that by hand, just from ingame items. I did that for Tyranny.

I'll take a look at it. The thought of doing all of them by hand is quite intimidating  :biggrin:

Added details for Wands, Scepters and Rods as well as Daggers, Battle Axes and Clubs (actually I just edited the club entry a little).

Two things I noticed: the image for Pierce/Slash damage isn't there and the image for Raw damage is currently that of a Wand. Not sure how to change them so I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable than me.