Developers don't spend their dev time based on every avarage Joe' comment on the forums. Future content is already announced and probably being worked on.

Current biggest problem of the game is 1. Bugs then 2. Difficulty. ( imo )

There are lots of complaints and bug reports about the game, and there is this 1 post that points out that they shouldn't forget balance. Balance is crucial, there is a huge difference between strong builds and overpowered ones, and there is more of the latter.

EDIT : I dare to say that performance is an issue for lots too, but I doubt that can be fixed with the engine.

Edited by Hazmy

It's a discussion forum man, I get it.  Everyone has the right to voice their concerns - his concern is a perceived lack of balance, mine is that all these threads derail more important dev time such as bug fixes and completely new content.  We can agree to disagree, but everyone has the right to chime in, no?

Given Josh has made it clear that he thinks balance is important even in a single player game I doubt our discussion is going to divert dev time in any significant way.

My own view is that balance is important. It doesn't have to be balance in the sense that games like DotA strive for, but it's important that there isn't too big a disparity between class power (PoE achieved this pretty well by the end) and, ideally, no abilities should be massively over or under powered. I want (and I suspect most players do to) to be able to take a spell or ability because it appeals to me and know that it'll be roughly as powerful as its power level suggests. I don't want to have to decide my builds based on power first and appeal of abilities second.

To give an example of this: I like the idea of Sacred Immolation and really enjoyed it in PoE. In Deadfire it does 43 raw damage per tick to the Paladin which is terrible. I can't play a SI Paladin at the moment and so I would very much like Obsidian to rebalance the ability to make the self damage less harsh.

Similarly the Monk ability Inner Death might appeal to someone thematically but perhaps they don't want to be able to one shot any enemy in the game. Scaling it back a bit so that it's still a powerful single target ability but is less likely to one shot bosses seems sensible to me.

• Like 3

Dragons on Chanter? What a shocker.

What i'm interesting in is, what is broken early game and still continues to be broken the whole game through, so that i have a easy time with the battles.

It remains easy to be honest, I suggest roleplaying on the first playthrough more. I had very easy time beating 4-5 levels highter enemies even on PotD.

I even restarted the game on normal difficulty, and I keep PotD for when it's going to be a bit more of a challenge.

PS: Completely misread your comment, sorry....

Edited by Hazmy

What i'm interesting in is, what is broken early game and still continues to be broken the whole game through, so that i have a easy time with the battles.

It remains easy to be honest, I suggest roleplaying on the first playthrough more. I had very easy time beating 4-5 levels highter enemies even on PotD.

I even restarted the game on normal difficulty, and I keep PotD for when it's going to be a bit more of a challenge.

I would argue the meta knowledge you gain from a previous runthrough will make PotD far easier then any charges Obsidian may do to make it harder.

• Like 1

It's a discussion forum man, I get it.  Everyone has the right to voice their concerns - his concern is a perceived lack of balance, mine is that all these threads derail more important dev time such as bug fixes and completely new content.  We can agree to disagree, but everyone has the right to chime in, no?

Given Josh has made it clear that he thinks balance is important even in a single player game I doubt our discussion is going to divert dev time in any significant way.

My own view is that balance is important. It doesn't have to be balance in the sense that games like DotA strive for, but it's important that there isn't too big a disparity between class power (PoE achieved this pretty well by the end) and, ideally, no abilities should be massively over or under powered. I want (and I suspect most players do to) to be able to take a spell or ability because it appeals to me and know that it'll be roughly as powerful as its power level suggests. I don't want to have to decide my builds based on power first and appeal of abilities second.

To give an example of this: I like the idea of Sacred Immolation and really enjoyed it in PoE. In Deadfire it does 43 raw damage per tick to the Paladin which is terrible. I can't play a SI Paladin at the moment and so I would very much like Obsidian to rebalance the ability to make the self damage less harsh.

Similarly the Monk ability Inner Death might appeal to someone thematically but perhaps they don't want to be able to one shot any enemy in the game. Scaling it back a bit so that it's still a powerful single target ability but is less likely to one shot bosses seems sensible to me.

Bro I never said I am against balance, nor that overly OP abilities shouldn't get looked at. All I'm saying is that this easily gets out of control and people start bitching about things like Faith and Conviction (a powerful ability clearly balanced by the fact you HAVE to robotically play a character instead of RP saying whatever you want, a form of power-gaming much like dumping stats, imho) and that starts creating a nearly endless loop of to-and-fro balancing, which takes some serious dev time. And all because someone REALLY wanted to use THAT ability, but not have it THAT powerful. I get it, we all want balance (believe it or not, me too) but what gets me is when everyone starts chiming in on what they find too powerful and then it becomes a cluster****, since things are already hard enough to balance if they didn't manage it in what two years of alpha and beta testing?!  Or how about the fact that the single class rogue has been underpowered since PoE and that still hasn't changed? xD Like I said, I'm not AGAINST balance, far from it, I just think that people go a little bit overboard on this, that's all.

Edited by EbonKnight

I would argue the meta knowledge you gain from a previous runthrough will make PotD far easier then any charges Obsidian may do to make it harder.

That's true, it remains a decision if you want to wait to play the game now or not. Playing on easier difficulty still at least will leave me excited to see the enemy number and class changes on PotD

Bro I never said I am against balance, nor that overly OP abilities shouldn't get looked at. All I'm saying is that this easily gets out of control and people start bitching about things like Faith and Conviction (a powerful ability clearly balanced by the fact you HAVE to robotically play a character instead of RP saying whatever you want, a form of power-gaming much like dumping stats, imho) and that starts creating a nearly endless loop of to-and-fro balancing, which takes some serious dev time. And all because someone REALLY wanted to use THAT ability, but not have it THAT powerful. I get it, we all want balance (believe it or not, me too) but what gets me is when everyone starts chiming in on what they find too powerful and then it becomes a cluster****, since things are already hard enough to balance if they didn't manage it in what two years of alpha and beta testing?!

Try to be more respectful please, you are stepping out of line really. This sub-forum is about strategies and partly powergaming, so if anywhere, this is the place to complain about op things.

And Faith and Conviction is not robotical play, it's called roleplaying. That's how paladins always were in these games.

Also this is FEEDBACK, just because someone doesn't like it, it doesn't mean the devs will change it. Stop overdramatizing the topic or the situation and enjoy the game instead of derailing topics on forums.

• Like 1

Ah, I see. So you play Faith and Conviction trying to maximize it by naturally knowing what disposition each option gives, right? It's robotic play IF you want it to be "op", that is to say IF you want it to be OP you will HAVE TO choose options that are optimal which is robotic play. But whatever, you're right, I'm going to let you guys get back to it, I'm out .

Ah, I see. So you play Faith and Conviction trying to maximize it by naturally knowing what disposition each option gives, right? It's robotic play IF you want it to be "op", that is to say IF you want it to be OP you will HAVE TO choose options that are optimal which is robotic play. But whatever, you're right, I'm going to let you guys get back to it, I'm out .

It is not robotic if you pick your Paladin group based on RP/personal feelings over subclass bonus.

For example I easily ruled out Bleak Walker, because I want my character stay nice. 

• Like 2

Dude, that's fine. All I'm saying is that in order to fast track your reputation to the "op" levels of this skill, you will have to always choose the options that align with your Paladin order. Now if you play normally, and sometimes choose to be snarky, sometimes rational, whatever, yet your order mostly wanted you to be Benevolent and Honest, for example, you will get these benefits much later, therefore their "op"-ness will be... well... much less so. Now ofc if you are the type that wants to go out of their way to be a **** or to be an unreasonably goodie-two-shoes honest fella in every damned scenario then it will align better with your chosen order, but for everything else there's a nice balance of choosing options which sound natural to you in the moment, or being a power-gamer and having dispositions visible and making sure you always select what's best for your order so that you can fast-track F&C to "op" levels.  Anyways, enough of that, like I said, no more derailing for me, you guys have fun x)

Dude, that's fine. All I'm saying is that in order to fast track your reputation to the "op" levels of this skill, you will have to always choose the options that align with your Paladin order. Now if you play normally, and sometimes choose to be snarky, sometimes rational, whatever, yet your order mostly wanted you to be Benevolent and Honest, for example, you will get these benefits much later, therefore their "op"-ness will be... well... much less so. Now ofc if you are the type that wants to go out of their way to be a **** or to be an unreasonably goodie-two-shoes honest fella in every damned scenario then it will align better with your chosen order, but for everything else there's a nice balance of choosing options which sound natural to you in the moment, or being a power-gamer and having dispositions visible and making sure you always select what's best for your order so that you can fast-track F&C to "op" levels.  Anyways, enough of that, like I said, no more derailing for me, you guys have fun x)

If one of the tenets of your order is benevolence, its it normal to pick benevolent options. Not even always, but enough times to get to max relatively soon. For example, my paladin has every 'allowed" options except shady(3) and agressive(2) on 4 at lvl 7 -> full bonus. Wouldn't consider the bonus OP however, since i get hit and grazed plenty of times despite it (ok almost no crits, but thats about it). 

• Like 1

Just posting it here so it can get some attention since I'm not sure if this should be a bug or not. Because of the way full attacks work with dual wield, aka they perform two instances of that skill for each weapon instantly, gambit (rogue) PL8 ability refunds its full cost permanently as long as you have enough rogue resource points.

The way it works is that each instance of crit of gambit refunds 2 rogue points, the skill itself costs four so as long as both hits crit, you get your 4 points back. The ability gives 10% crit chance per rogue resource point you have and 20% crit dmg per point as well. Essentially rogues have a 80% crit, +160% crit dmg, +10 acc, interrupt on hit, full attack.

I can't test this out on whispers of endless path because of the bugged import system.

Edited by ppscurry

Okay so I tried a few of the other Chanter summons like "Animated Weapons", "Ogres, "Swamp Creatures, and The T5 Drakes, their empowered attacks also do not consume their own empower charges.

But now I'm trying to figure out if those subsequent attacks actually benefit from Empower, or if it is just a visual bug.

Oh and Animated Weapons are prety nice. They each randomly get a diff class ability like Flames of Devotion or Wounding Arrow depending on the weapon type. 8 of them and do good dmg. Pure Beckoner is awesome-sauce.

So its only Ogres and above who get Empowered attack options?

Would of thought Wisps would have some attack options.

Maybe upgraded Wyrms get options as well since the description mentions unique attacks.

Didn't have time to test those 2 but it is possible. But even if it did expend a charge, 6 empowers is a lot, and would refresh on resummon. That number is probably higher than intended as well lol.

Okay got around to testing.

The little Wyrms get the empower charges but nothing to spend them on. The upgraded Wyrms are the only summon to cost my phrases after the upgrade seems kinda pointless when you can get Ogres for the same cost.

Upgraded Wisps do get an ability and small AoE daze. Wisps are so bad though (weak damage, etc) that I just don't use them.

Ogres are the first summon that can really use them. Really strong too. A unlimited cleave attack and a Berzerker Frenzy like buff that also gives them a heal.

Drakes of course are uber. Self buff and a range fire breath just like the drakes you fight that has a knockback.

For a multi class Beckoner Ogres and Drakes are going to be doing the majority of your heavy lifting though the game.

T5 Drakes have a spammable (no limit) empowered (seemingly no limit) fireball, and 2 of them constantly churning these out with beckoner.

Not exactly early game, but quite nice at level 9 (if single classed).

Edited by Dongom

Add to the OP:

-Swift strike with anything that has AOE or multiple projectiles (should really only have a chance to proc once)

-Empowered meteor strike

-Quite possibly charge - basically heart of fury for half cost available a lot earlier

Edited by MadDemiurg

Add to the OP:

-Swift strike with anything that has AOE or multiple projectiles (should really only have a chance to proc once)

Could you elaborate on that little more? I run a little with Rod and SS and it was "boom!" :D

So spells like magic missles are also broken with it? What else?

Maybe Monk/Caster Class and focus on missle spells can be fun build to play :D

Basically SS has a chance to proc on every hit with a weapon, so if a rod hits 5 enemies with the blast, each one of these has a chance to proc another aoe. It can also chain, potentially creating an infinite loop. It doesn't work with spells afaik, but it does work with citzal's lance or minor blights (not carnage though, as it probably counts as a different attack).

Edited by MadDemiurg

Did anyone try to run Monk/Rogue combo and can share experience?

Also what are good multis with Wizard or Druid or Priest? I am looking for strong solo caster multiclass build.

Basically SS has a chance to proc on every hit with a weapon, so if a rod hits 5 enemies with the blast, each one of these has a chance to proc another aoe. It can also chain, potentially creating an infinite loop. It doesn't work with spells afaik, but it does work with citzal's lance or minor blights (not carnage though, as it probably counts as a different attack).

Don't you mean Swift Flurry here which has a chance to proc additional attack on critical hit (30% chance).

Chanter/priest can be fun. Once you hit PL 7 you have unlimited spells with bride's invocation (it restores a spell every 3 seconds). You have a ton of summons supported with heals, buffs and DoTs before that.

Chanter/druid can be decent too.

With wizard you'll be missing a lot without PL 8 & 9 though. But you can make a martial wizard build for self buffs and citzal's/blights. Monk is best for citzal's and blights SS abuse as described above. Use pull of eora to blob victims together for the deathblow. Wizard/berserker, wizard/paladin and wizard/fighter can be fun too. Charge + citzal's lance is broken as hell.

Don't you mean Swift Flurry here which has a chance to proc additional attack on critical hit (30% chance).

Yes. If you crit 5 enemies with a rod you have a 33% chance to proc an additional rod attack on each enemy you hit, each of these being aoe and giving you further chances to proc more attacks. You really need a high crit chance for this to work though.

Edited by MadDemiurg