Hi ! 

I'm browsing this forum a lot but it seems most of the post are dedicated to melee multiclass.

I'd really like to have your opinion on how to build a caster. I'm trying to build a caster druid (with, if possible some melee potential : I loved the "thundercat" from POE1).

However with the new mechanisms introduced in deadfire, I believe that we have to rethink entirely how we build such characters ...

How would you do it ? 

In POE1, might was (in my opinion) very useful for caster due to, for example, how damage reduction worked :

- if your relentless storm was hitting for 12 on an enemy with 10 shock armor you were doing almost no damage at all : +25% damage via might in this case was effectively a 150% dmg increase (from 2 to 5). This is no longer the case with the new armor vs pen system : as long as your pen is at least equal to your target armor you're fine.

- might now work "additionally" and compete with powerlevel. At lvl 5 only, my druid Sunbeam is getting +20% damage from power level and +24% from might. I'd imagine that, at higher powerlevel, the might bonus will become at best a "small bonus" and at worst ... "negligible".

uYrW5sL.png

So I'm not saying might is the new dump stat ... but don't you think 10 should be enough for most of the caster ?

Dexterity is still kind, even more than before due to the long cast times ...

Intellect is still good due to the AOE bonus (duration also increase with power level so ... same deal as might)

PRpwHms.png

So maybe this time around we should dump resolve too much and raise perception instead of might as it seems that caster have terrible accuracy ... and no real way to fix it ? I'm still mad that shield still give spell accuracy malus :/

What do you think ?

I'm guessing caster are not that popular :)

What do you think about something along those lines :

- might 10

- cons 6

- dex 18

- per 18 

- int 18

- res 5

?

Also, regarding power level vs might. It appears that the damage bonus from power level is equal to ([power level] - [spell level]) * 10%

aka at lvl 10 (PL 5 for a pure caster)

- lvl 1 spells get 40% dmg bonus from power level

- lvl 2 spells get 30% dmg bonus from power level

- lvl 3 spells get 20% ... and so on.

duration bonus from PL seems similar : ([power level] - [spell level]) * 5%

The more I play the more it seems that perception is way way better than might for damage. 

And I don't think you need to boost your healing via might, it's already insanely strong as it is. 

Bonus : cc / debuff will last longer with perception (might have no effect).