Can you lose companion for siding a faction?

I am really curious about this as I am altering what faction to join being afraid to lose a companion. Anyone has experience with this?

More specifically I am afraid to join the Vailian Trading Company, because Maia is my favourite companion and I don't want to lose her.

I lost tekehu after I joined the royal deadfire company and killed queen Omakase. It only happened at the very end of the game though.

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

Maia also leaves if you try to side with either the Huana or the Valian Trade Company close to the ending... not sure about the Principé. 
Also I never went ahead and officially joined them.. so there might be a way to persuade her to stay. Tekehu definitely leaves if you join the RCC... found no way to prevent that. Unsure if romance status has any additional persuasion effect (I romanced Maia). 

Edited by Ciphys

This lose a companion thing over faction choice seems rather annoying to me.  You spend hours and hours building up a character and get attached to having them in your party, not to mention the synergy of your party's combat tactics, etc.  And to have that all thrown out the window by a faction choice seems rather annoying.

Maybe it'd be nice to know ahead of time which companions have problems which factions, though OTOH I suppose that could  be rather spoiler-y.

It does sound like it makes a good case for using side kicks (presuming that they wouldn't do this) over companions.

This lose a companion thing over faction choice seems rather annoying to me.  You spend hours and hours building up a character and get attached to having them in your party, not to mention the synergy of your party's combat tactics, etc.  And to have that all thrown out the window by a faction choice seems rather annoying.

Maybe it'd be nice to know ahead of time which companions have problems which factions, though OTOH I suppose that could  be rather spoiler-y.

It does sound like it makes a good case for using side kicks (presuming that they wouldn't do this) over companions.

Your companions could not possibly know in advance some of the **** the factions ask you to do.

It's only natural they'd object when their personal values feel stretched to their limit, not necessarily before.

• Like 3

Your companions could not possibly know in advance some of the **** the factions ask you to do.

It's only natural they'd object when their personal values feel stretched to their limit, not necessarily before.

I wasn't asking for the companions to know this stuff in advance.  I meant that some might prefer to be able to read here in the forums which companions might object to which factions.  Yes, very spoiler-y.  But some just might prefer not losing a beloved companion over not being spoiled.  Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

I have to say I am rather annoyed at this moment. I am at the stage where I would like to know what each faction has to offer, and I got the quest for blowing up the powderhouse of the Royal Deadfire Company. I told the director I do not want to do it, but the quest entered my log anyway. If I recall correctly I could not refuse, since it is rather tied to another quest, and there is no indicator to tell: This is the point where you have to decide.

Naturally I would like to see and hear all options and then make decisions from there. I was rather disappointed when I talked to the queen and there was no real "I have to think about this."-Option.

Furthermore I have Maia in the squad, and she will leave now as soon as we enter another map, and I can not even tell her that I have no intent to blow up the darn brass citadel. Is there a console command to setback the quest a step, since my last save is some 5 hours away by now.

• Like 1

Maia also leaves if you try to side with either the Huana or the Valian Trade Company close to the ending... not sure about the Principé. 

Also I never went ahead and officially joined them.. so there might be a way to persuade her to stay. Tekehu definitely leaves if you join the RCC... found no way to prevent that. Unsure if romance status has any additional persuasion effect (I romanced Maia). 

To be honest I was rather annoyed by her leaving because A) I never said I am gonna actually do the huana quest from the queen (while "accepting" the quest I was rather on idk, maybe side rather than YES LET ME DO IT), and then in the conversation with Maia there is like NO OPTION of simply saying "you know what, I won't do it, so please stay". All the answers are more like I will do everything to achieve my goal, or you need to undesrtand I am right option, which was really dissapointing.

I have to say I am rather annoyed at this moment. I am at the stage where I would like to know what each faction has to offer, and I got the quest for blowing up the powderhouse of the Royal Deadfire Company. I told the director I do not want to do it, but the quest entered my log anyway. If I recall correctly I could not refuse, since it is rather tied to another quest, and there is no indicator to tell: This is the point where you have to decide.

Naturally I would like to see and hear all options and then make decisions from there. I was rather disappointed when I talked to the queen and there was no real "I have to think about this."-Option.

Furthermore I have Maia in the squad, and she will leave now as soon as we enter another map, and I can not even tell her that I have no intent to blow up the darn brass citadel. Is there a console command to setback the quest a step, since my last save is some 5 hours away by now.

Yeah it's annoying that "accepting" the quest assumes you are like all in favor of it's objective. I would really like the option to let's say tell Maia, that you are not going to do it, which would like end the quest or something. 

If you have Maia in party while being given Vailians' mission, you can refuse the quest and its not entered into the log at all.(you can also complete the quest before talkign to Maia which makes her sad that you made her complicit into acting against Rauatains but she doesn't actually leave the party unless you make the final decision to join a faction since after blowing up powderhouse you still have chance of joining Huana or principi)

I'm currently also having the problem that, as soon as I enter the Brass Citadel (to do Maia's quest there), she starts dialogue and I can't tell her that I don't want to blow up the powderhouse. I also can't/couldn't tell Director Castol I don't want to do it. So now I can't complete Maia's sidequest, and the game's forcing me into decisions I didn't make.

• Like 3

I romanced Maia and as far as I know, there's no way to keep her if you join the Huana's side. I tried begging as her lover and the diplomatic option, she still left.

What's worse, I can't side with the female pirate captain due to a glitch of quest order, and I don't like the male one. I don't have enough cash to upgrade my ship, either. So now I'm torn between Maia and Tekehu, my two favourite companions. Crap.

I romanced Maia and as far as I know, there's no way to keep her if you join the Huana's side. I tried begging as her lover and the diplomatic option, she still left.

What's worse, I can't side with the female pirate captain due to a glitch of quest order, and I don't like the male one. I don't have enough cash to upgrade my ship, either. So now I'm torn between Maia and Tekehu, my two favourite companions. Crap.

How can you not have enough money for those upgrades?

What did you spend all your gold on? Hookers and blow?  :w00t:

I rarely did side quests, let alone bounties. And I just spent most of money on the second best ship. Just didn't like the biggest ship :facepalm:  

I rarely did side quests, let alone bounties. And I just spent most of money on the second best ship. Just didn't like the biggest ship :facepalm:  

You don't need the biggest ship, man.

You just need the best sails and best hull to buy.

At least, if i recall correctly.

Edited by Juodas Varnas

Companions leaving the party if you do something they disagree with is a good thing tbh. If you want mindless slaves just make custom characters instead.

In theory, I suppose I agree with you, Judicator.  OTOH, having companions leaving the party not so much due to disposition issues but issues of alignment relative to the factions is uncomfortable.  And even more so when one feels like the companion or companions involved may be one or more of your favorites.  I happen to like Maia because she's such a solid ranger and sniper.  And I like Pallegina because I just like her accent, and her being a paladin. (I like her being a paladin because she lets me play a paladin without having to worry so much about the disposition issues a pally would face if he/she was the Watcher.) 

On top of that, it's not like there are all that many Companions to begin with.  And knowing that the chances are quite good that you're bound to lose one of them (if you lose them in your party and not just sitting around on your little pleasure yacht) due to factional issues can be frustrating. 

I don't think peoples want slave , or mindless drones follower that are a 'yes sir!' at everything we do . 

But there are some we can romance , and there are also some 'Stuff' that we do that could piss them off and make them leave . It just when it come to joining a faction , it's really a low blow . Why? Because we can do ALOT of stuff before we get there and none bat an eye . 

A good exemple (and this gonna be a spoiler) , in my 1st playtrough I sided (was a mistake) with the Princiapl . Nobody leave when you side with them . But in the final area , guess who showed up to stop me ? The leader of the Rauata . I kill her and Maia never blink . 

But if I sided with Valiante , you gonna ditch me right there and then even though we slept together ? 

I'm all for 'If you destroy the temple of my god , I swear I shall smite you and run away with your head and your inventory and loot!' . But only if it's built gradually so you can see it coming . 

In Baldur's Gate , if you do Horribles things the good aligned companions will warn you again and again before they either turn hostiles or leave (with the stuff on them , unless you remove them before hand) . And THAT IS GOOD ! 

But they warn you ! and if you don't listen to the warning..you deserve it . 

But here , nobody bat an eye . 

So either they forgot to add such a thing or the game maybe bugged . I know some dialogues are . 

Gonna wait and see if the patch change stuff . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Which path leads to not losing any companions?

I haven't gotten far yet but is there a faction choice that's neutral, as in you don't lose any companions?

I was told you could go the solo route and not side with anyone . But siding with the pirate (principale) , nobody leave you . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I haven't gotten far yet but is there a faction choice that's neutral, as in you don't lose any companions?

I was told you could go the solo route and not side with anyone . But siding with the pirate (principale) , nobody leave you .

Could you let me know what part of the game this choice appears at to go solo and not side with anybody? Also is this an official route?

Also is siding with the principale route a second route for nobody to leave you?

When do a these choices appear so that I don't mess up? Are there clear indicators?

Cheers

Could you let me know what part of the game this choice appears at to go solo and not side with anybody? Also is this an official route?

Also is siding with the principale route a second route for nobody to leave you?

When do a these choices appear so that I don't mess up? Are there clear indicators?

Cheers

I can't tell you which route is the solo , since I haven't found it myself . I was doing the principal quest and end up stuck with them and no way to say 'NO THANX! BYE!' . You can say NO to the Valliant when they ask you . Dunno about the Huana and the 3rd faction . 

It's late in the game though . Just be careful and SAVE alot . 

When I went to the Valliant , they tell you 'It's time to choose' same with rauatia . That is the indicator . 

Principale homewhever , they just went 'Let's finish this quest Ahoy!' and before I could say anything we were in buziness ...

Elderly Hive Dweller

Cheers

I can't tell you which route is the solo , since I haven't found it myself . I was doing the principal quest and end up stuck with them and no way to say 'NO THANX! BYE!' . You can say NO to the Valliant when they ask you . Dunno about the Huana and the 3rd faction .

It's late in the game though . Just be careful and SAVE alot .

When I went to the Valliant , they tell you 'It's time to choose' same with rauatia . That is the indicator .

Principale homewhever , they just went 'Let's finish this quest Ahoy!' and before I could say anything we were in buziness ...

So how many factions are there, and which characters leave you during what faction quest line?

What act/chapter does all this happen in?