Yes, you are missing ranged dps caster builds, hehe. ;)

I think my fist build will be a ranged one. If it's a caster I don't know yet. Maybe not. I'm pretty sure a part of it will be rogue though.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think my fist build will be a ranged one. If it's a caster I don't know yet. Maybe not. I'm pretty sure a part of it will be rogue though.

i don't see any 1.1 potd ranged dps sorry.. most of them are tank/melee/solo potd

i don't see any 1.1 potd ranged dps sorry.. most of them are tank/melee/solo potd

It's because the game mechanics, in my opinion, favor melee and allow martial classes, be it through items or consumable, to be-like casters. 

CHECK MY BUILD! It's ranged DPS :D

I think there's a language problem that prevents you from getting the joke. But it doesn't matter - it wasn't a good one in the first place... ;)

There are not that many ranged caster builds besides the Master of Missiles and maybe a few others. Maybe because casters are not so good at doing sustained dps in Deadfire (besides the PL cheese with alchemy + decay spells or the shock helmet abuse). For example I'm playing Serafen as a ranged dps caster atm and he simply sucks at it (if I don't use Mind Control). Maybe Maia as a Geomancer will be better - but I doubt it. Better go the DoT route I guess.

• Like 1

I think there's a language problem that prevents you from getting the joke. But it doesn't matter - it wasn't a good one in the first place... ;)

There are not that many ranged caster builds besides the Master of Missiles and maybe a few others. Maybe because casters are not so good at doing sustained dps in Deadfire (besides the PL cheese with alchemy + decay spells or the shock helmet abuse). For example I'm playing Serafen as a ranged dps caster atm and he simply sucks at it (if I don't use Mind Control). Maybe Maia as a Geomancer will be better - but I doubt it. Better go the DoT route I guess.

lol sorry didn't got the joke ahah

Can you add mine? (Sir Sit-a-Lot. The Brander of Death)

I added it, but honestly that's not really a build description but more a description of a "trick". Could you flesh it out some more - like with recommended stats, gear and skill for example? What race would be good, which subclasses (if any)?

Could you add my build https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102168-build-glanfathan-soul-hunter

Description: An defensive ranged build, puppet master, high acc

I did it. ;) 

The thing with that build is that it's so strong that it really doesn't matter.

Just click on every Paladin skill that gives passive armor or deflection, and Lay of Hands, and every chanter skill that gives regen or summons, put on heavy armor and the best heavy shield, and you can breeze through 95% of the content.  

There isn't anything to it.  You brand your enemies, summon things, and watch everything around you slowly die.  

Edited by Marigoldran

I know - but then you could write down what you think would be optimal or most fun.

Just click on every Paladin skill that gives passive armor or deflection, and Lay of Hands, and every chanter skill that gives regen or summons

Which paladin skills specifically? What is the best shield? What is the best heavy armor for this build? Which phrases are best for regeneration and so on. Doesn't the fire ring from the Dark Cupboard also raise the ACC for Dragon Thrashed (no idea)? You could addt he info that Brand Enemy is also very powerful because it has no hit roll and ALWAYS hits (great info to have). Just assume that a new player comes in, searching for a cool build, who didn't memorize all items and abilities in the game.

In my experience it's the inexperienced player who will try out builds - not the forum veteran.

Right now it's not really a build description. It's more like "use Brand Enemy lol". ;) I mean it's powerful the way you use it, sure - but it's a bit... thin. :)

Edited by Boeroer

But that's the great thing about the build! None of it matters.  

1. Any Unique Heavy Armor.

2. Any Unique Large Shield.

3.  Get some Regen items and play Pal/Chanter.   Get the Paladin-Unique Talents that improve armor or defenses. Use any DOT and Summon Ogres.

4.  Win.  

No gimmick to it. Once you stack enough deflection and armor and regen pretty much nothing can kill you.  

It's not like all of the other squishy builds that needs some specific strategy or playstyle to stay alive.  There IS no strategy or tactic to this character other than "walk into battle and summon stuff and watch your enemies die."  Brand Enemy isn't even strictly necessary (just useful to speed fights up).  

That's why I kept it "non-specific."  

Try it and you'll see my point.  I chose Patinated Plate and Cadhu because they come early and they're awesome, but any other unique heavy shield and armor would work, too.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Why are you opposed to make it a bit more refined so that it really deserves the term "build description"? Look at how much efford others put into their build threads. I don't demand that every build discription is superpolished and shiny - but it would be nice to make it a tad more "complete". But maybe I'm the only one and a totalitarian schmuck, don't know...

Edit:

Then why don't you write that into your build description? That's all useful info that will help newcomers to understand how your build works.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

There's actually a philosophical design principle behind it.  

With this build, as long as you meet the minimum requirements (stack defenses and regen), "anything goes."  

I find most of the builds "too specific", which makes them fragile.  

I prefer builds that emphasize "overlapping defensive systems" so if things go wrong or something is nerfed, you're not f-ed.  Even if Brand Enemy was nerfed, this build still works.  And if you run into a bad situation, where, for example, too many enemies are pulled, you'll still come out alive.

Edited by Marigoldran

So I doesn't see any fun solo/potd 2H builds (maybe Gut's, but I don't like fighter as second class)  :(
I missed barbarians carnage from POE1

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

So I doesn't see any fun solo/potd 2H builds (maybe Gut's, but I don't like fighter as second class)  :(

2h is bad for single target dps that is the problem.

On potd I use Lord Darron's Voulge any day on fights against multiple enemies but when going against say Ugaizo Guardian or Fampyrs with more hp switch to dual swords because otherwise I would be doing less dps.

On potd I use Lord Darron's Voulge any day on fights against multiple enemies but when going against say Ugaizo Guardian or Fampyrs with more hp switch to dual swords because otherwise I would be doing less dps.

Yep, I agree DW for big bosses is required, but I'm has some idea, is https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Chromoprismatic_Quarterstaff still viable ? I want to do solo PotD without alchemy/arcana with 2H weapon :D

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Yep, I agree DW for big bosses is required, but I'm has some idea, is https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Chromoprismatic_Quarterstaff still viable ? I want to do solo PotD without alchemy/arcana with 2H weapon :D

If you design an "auto attack" build 2h like that quarterstaff and say the Voulge is good. But it would have to be a "buff build" with a lot of passives to dps boost so you can just auto attack. If you don;t use ability full attacks two handed weapons like that quarter staff could be good. 

On a side note: even on PotD optimized dual handed sabers do so much damage on an ability hit that frequently I would kill something with the first saber and second saber would not hit anymore and "waste" dps lol. 

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

Hey man can you add my build please?

Caster that combines both divine and arcane magic

Subclass: Priest (Skaen) / Wizard (No Subclass)

Author: araj123

Game Version: 1.1

Difficulty: PotD

Solo: Yes (Deadly Deadfire)

Companion: -

Link: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102648-class-build-solo-11-potd-thaumaturge-priestwizard/

What's the name of that build? Surely you don't want me to post it as "The solo 1.1 PotD Thaumaturge"...? ;)

Edit: For now I put it in as "Effigy's Bombardement". ;)

Just as a nod to PoE's "Effigy's Resentment" - because it's a Priest of Skaen paired with a Wizard and you use most of your wizard spells in the videos for nuking/bombarding the enemy. If you want another name just tell me, I will edit it then. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Hi, I will be on vacation in the mountains for a week. Maybe there's no internet connection - so your new builds have to wait till Thursday or Friday next week. :)

Also I did some tests and the forum indeed is buggy when it comes to editing links. When I insert a new build, naturally I copy & paste an existing entry and alter links etc. Sometimes (or let's say a lot of times) I will alter the link but when saving the forum restores the old link (or doesn't save my edit properly). Please double-check if the link to your build thread is correct and send a PM when not. Sorry for that!

• Like 1