Anyone else having trouble making a character and sticking to it?

Yeah though mine's about RP and not class. Started with an orlan but then I read that dialogue check count thing and then I decided to try a death godlike but it just feels... eh. Too much of a special hurricane yah know? Plus something about a tiny thing that's amazingly skilled at murder tickles me so I might roll an orlan again or go in an entirely different direction and be like an elf or something. And actually it is about class a bit because at first I had an beguiler/fury which doesn't have a ton of synergy but was nice for RP (and I liked turning into a storm) now I'm pure cipher but I dunno if I think it's boring yet.

our difficulty is actual more with the companions.  the only thing we changed from planned character to actual character is cultural background as a few o' the skill point distributions were altered somewhere along the way.

male, hearth orlan, deadfire hunter (wanted drifter, but no insight bonus anymore) playing as a priest o' eothas/helwalker contemplative.  am gonna stick with this build even though ship boarding is a nightmare with a what amounts to a ranged helwalker invariably getting an alpha strikes from foes as we is always placed front and center at start o' ship combats regardless o' formation choice. we might respec minor, but respec is busted at the moment so...

certain skills appear more useful than others, and in spite o' obsidian feedback on the matter, there is one attribute which is getting disproportionate use in dialogues.  am comfortable with our current skill choice spread, but am also still not having recruited all party members.  we will eventual be able to respec companions, but 1) we did not know the order in which we would get companions and 2) it seems there is irreconcilable differences which may make having certain party members together prohibitive-- such concerns is making us reconsider the initial class or multiclass choices for our companions.

our first run is gonna be our orlan contemplative. period. is the other stuff we might wanna change.  unfortunate, if we wanna change our original companion class/multiclass choices, we need restart.

HA! Good Fun!

ps respec being busted is causing us some sadness.  might change a few skill choice distributions, but is not a big deal neither.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This phenomenon is technically called playing a CRPG.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

am also disappointed in a few poe import bugs and am knowing we will face serious conundrum if such is fixed before we finish deadfire.  am not certain how deep we will need be in the game w/o being tempted to restart with the correct import values.  half game?  more than half?  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This phenomenon is technically called playing a CRPG.

Kinda?

Between factionalized companions and class combinations, skill functionality (and use opportunities) weapon availability, and just how things work (particularly armor and pen), this game seems to require an extra heaping helping of meta knowledge.

Add on the things that you can choose but not change (class selections for npcs, before you can find out what those choices do) and various game state bugs, its in a weird place.

I already have 9 achievement points from trying to play dozen times, but giving up totally undecided which class to play.

I love casters, but I really really dislike the limit of 02 spells per encounter wizard, cleric and druids have.

When I get home I'll try some combo of cypher/chanter to see if they have enough of a "caster feeling" to satisfy me.

i used to suffer from this as well. I create a character I really like. I find a weapon I can't use, and start over with a character who can use said weapon. Then I find a new weapon I can't use, so... new character it is. Sigh... (assuming it's not a random loot weapon.) It's gotten worse over the years, with more stuff to do. Ooooh, I can intimidate you? I mean... it would be an option, if I focused more on intimidation? Hm... *new character incoming*  :blush: 

Fortunately, I've gotten better over the years too, and know a bit more what I like and don't like. So when I got PoT2 and knew I could sail the seven seas as a swashbuckling pirate, I knew my MC had to be a swashbuckler, and my ship named Storm of Ale. Because, you know...

Rum! Beer! Quest and mead!

These are the things that a pirate need!

Raise the flag, and let' set sail!

I'm gonna die on a storm of ale!

:grin:

• Like 2

I started with a fighter/rogue got to Neketaka, then decided I didn't like her enough to continue. Rerolled a Fighter/Chiper and so far really enjoying it. She might be a bit bland when it comes to useful abilities but a powerhouse none the less.

Yep, I am quite a few deep at this point. Some failed because unexpected mechanics (ranged crits don't generate skald phases? There goes a blunderbuss build...), others because they have no way to survive the opening salvo from a boarding party on POTD (that all seem to target the main character regardless of what you do), others because they are powerful but boring (heya there monk =\).

Now I am in between a self buffing wizard + melee multi (pally, barb, fighter) that opens with a nuke then melees and a paladin + whatever multi (paladin for durability, other class for fun).

The strongest contender right now is the MC as a KW + barb and one custom as KW + troubadour. Durable tanks with heals and decent DPS should allow me to carry any set of companions through POTD.

I played BG1, BG2, icewind dale, POE, Divinity 2... Spent probably tens of thousands of hours on DD games, yet I've never even been close to finishing any one of my games because I like to restart for some reason

Early on with RPGs I played an elf ranger and I usually have at least one complete playthrough with such a class in more recent games.

With pillars I completed a wizard and a paladin, and have started with a Paladin, but the urge to multi a Paladin/Priest is high...

I planned to to replay with the same character as in the first game but his racial bonus (Wellspring of Life) is different, so are the effects of the backgrounds (thanks to the new skill system), and the possibility of multi-classing offers so many new options (there are at least six combinations that I'm really excited about). That's enough changes to justify a new character, right?

I usually suffer from the reroll ad nauseum effect described here, but for some reason, since I created my first character, I haven't restarted yet.  I'm almost level 8 now with my Chanter (beckoner subclass) and it feels very solid.  Usually by the time my summons are about to die or time out I have enough phrases chanted to summon them again while they're still up.  Having 4 Ogres up at once really does the trick.

Wow, thanks for all the replies and the insights. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this restart hell. :) 

I'm kind of settled on a paladin now, though who knows what I'm going to do this morning when I open up the game. (It's almost 11am in my part of the world as I type this.)

Z72

• Like 1

I was planning on going pure wizard but I like the cipher dialogue/rp stuff so I ended up multiclassing but going mostly all in on the wizard stuff. Still a decent power hit but combat isn't the draw for me in these games even though I do enjoy it more than the first game. I'm still playing on classic when I did easy then story in the first game just to get it over with. Keep thinking of starting over with a pure wizard but I still want the cipher stuff.

I forgot that I tried pure cipher and also druid but dropped those during tutorial island

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Have thought about restarting. Just briefly, today, though. Likely won't. Still quite early on. Went with Bleakwaler/Ranger (Shepherd) this time, having gone strictly Paladin in Pillars One. Gonna stick with it, maybe tweak some stuff, mess around with the dynamics a bit more.

No. I choose one and roll with it. Even if I end up disliking it, I can make up for it with the party. It's a bigger deal in something like NWN, where you only control one character.

Edited by Multihog