Anyone else having trouble making a character and sticking to it?

I have a friend doing this and I almost did the same thing. But fortunately found the character I am 100% satisfied with.

What I did was, I made a character, played around 20 hours into the story and THEN i restarted as I had a clear vision of what character I would like to be the most, instead of the one i am playing.

I don't regret restarting at all, the game is amazing.

Edited by Hazmy

No, it takes forever until I dicide what char to use, but once I have decided I stick with this char until the end.

Since I can think about my future chars all the time ( like when reading this forum ) the creation of the char in the game goes rather fast.

• Like 1

You may take one of your higher level saves, and roll 4 hires. And try different approaches. That way you will have more insight from single run how each class works.

I rerolled once. But then stick to it. At least for one run i will just push forward.

The temptencion to try all the options is high.

• Like 1

I'm bad about certain things.  This is sort of one of them.  I have restarted my character about 3 times.  Troubadour/Rogue.  First time, I was Troubadour/Trickster, and (unlike in beta) I never used the Illusion spells much.  This is because I have Explosives, and make and use grenades to get those AoE status effects, and because I picked Trickster I was without a good Sneak Attack.  So, I restarted, and I guess I messed up Char Creation because I though I was a generic rogue, but I must have accidentally selected Assassin.  This build isn't a Stealth/Backstab build.  So, I was eating +15% damage for nothing.  Now I have him right.  I swapped around weapon style for this one too.  Went from War Bow/Xbow/Quarterstaff with the earlier builds to Scepters/Wands/Flails in a one handed style.  Now I crit all the time with my Scepter and Flail which are what I use most.  I'd probably dual wield next go, and maybe I will respec at some point, but it works really well right now. 

• Like 1

I do that a lot. Like 20+ characters created and abandoned in every RPGs I play until I settle down.

For POE2, i'm kinda alternating between Chanter and Monk right now and wondering if I should go Paladin instead and thinking that Rogue might suit what I want to play more...

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I'm fighting the urge to restart and it's hard. The only reason I'm sticking with my Brute is because I did go through the first game with him. 

I'm really tempted to start over with an Orlan War Caller (Skald + Devoted) dual wielding blunderbusses...  :facepalm:

So far I'm glad I'm sticking to my current game. 

This is pretty much me and any RPG where you can choose your character.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

When I play PoEII, I plan on playing PoE1, so I'll probably be okay when I get to PoEII but restart a lot on PoEI.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I made a quick test character, ran to the first inn and tried a few different builds. Fell in love with monk high lvl abilities so I went with a shattered pillar. ProTip: Whispers of the wind is extra hilarious if you use the console to give your char backstab first

I usually suffer from this problem because I'm the kind of player that likes to fill in what is needed in a group. This usually results in me playing tanks in basically every multiplayer game out there because for some reason people don't like tanking. 

In this game I thought about trying a more roguish style character but now I'm honestly stuck between the bastion of good surrounded by the muck and mire (Paladin or Priest) or the rogue. 

Sigh. 

I think I've gone through the introduction sequence close to 10 times now, and I still haven't settled on one character.

Oh well, lets try again... *wanders off to make yet another character*

Z72.

Once I saw I could be a Priest Assassin I was sold. :) 

• Like 1

I spent several hours researching and so far 2 hours in char creation menu admiring and contemplating. Still undecided. So many options. So many paths to take. Worried my restartitis kicks in at the most unfortunate of times.

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

Only three restarts so far.  It would probably be more if it was possible to skip the intro ;)

It's 2-3 minutes long and most of that if the walk of shame. ESC skip the two first videos and you don't have to wait for dialogue VO to end to click next/pick dialogue choice.

I'm pretty good at speeding through it now. ;) I spend way more time in the character creation page called "class".

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Definitely debating it. My cipher is just turning out to be a mediocre ranged attacker. Fights are either over too fast or I'm fighting high level stuff (like the constructs in the wizards manor) where I spend most of my time missing or no penning, so I can't generate focus to any meaningful degree.

The sad thing is the constructs couldn't do any real damage to my party either, except with fan of flame, so it was just a matter of interrupting that while wearing them down, coupled with a few seconds of armor debuffs (if they hit).

Combat just seems way out of tune.

Edited by Voss

Yeah, I spent over a day trying to decide. That intro sequence is wearing thin! Ended up playing a Druid (Animist) despite my intentions to try a multiclass with subclasses and keep feeling the urge to restart (particularly to switch to Lifegiver) or to do a completely new character such as an Inquisitor, but I know if I do I will never finish this year, and don't want to waste the time off from work I got. 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I usually restart one or two times. But in Deadfire I have much more trouble choosing my character. I want to use my third character from PoE1 (it's the most pirate inclined) but after losing faith in Skaen in the end of the game (for the character's personal reasons) I might change the subclass. I can't choose one of these:

- Skaen Priest/Assassin

- Magran Priest/Skald (or Beckoner for summoning lots of dragons), seems like a perfect pirate

- Berath Priest/Beckoner, goes well with the Berath sail and cape

- Wael Priest/Assassin

- Assassin/Wizard

- Assassin/Beckoner

I want to be a priest because

I'll be deceptive and Xoti doesn't like that, so she might leave the party or refuse a romance.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

At first i played a monk, but the +feeling+was not right.

I ALWAYS play a wizard /magician first.

So i made a wizard and atm its fine. But i alrdy think: MAN...how about a nice paladin tank or multiclass?..

But NO NO..i will finish as a wizard first...then i try anything else ;)

But yes: Wizard is rly weak compared to my lowlvl Monk....the monk can do SO MUCH MORE dmg..while my wizard is dead more quickly and is limited to his spells( i play on veteran).

Edited by Cartesii