Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CONSTANT RANDOM CRASHES -- An Unplayable Game

crash freeze broken unplayable mess

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

dreamercz

dreamercz

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Hello, I'm having the same issue. I can play for a while and after some arbitrary time the game crashes to black screen and I can't do nothing than hard reset my computer. The crashes don't happen at loading, they just happen randomly with no apparent buildup or performance loss. Unfortunately, the game does not leave any crash logs afterwards.

Things I already tried with no effect:

• Upgrade GPU or sound card drivers, and BIOS to the newest versions
  • Try to run the game with the -force-d3d12 parameter
  • Verify the game files integrity
  • Run the game with nothing else running in the background (I thought Flash or Discord may have been causing it at first.)
  • Switch to the beta release channel
  • Run the game in windowed mode

My specs are:

ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz
4x4GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX PC4-25600 CL16-16-16-35
Sapphire NITRO R9 390, 8GB
SSD OCZ Vertex 4

voyager25

voyager25

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Game crashing and freezing as others have also stated. Game will run sometimes for 1-2 hours other times less than 30 min. I do not believe the issue is directly hardware related.

From this thread many people have old and new Intel cpus, old and new AMD cpus and a combination of nvidia and AMD gpus. A much larger pool of information would be needed to be sure but it seems all types of hardware can be affected.

For me the game crashes or freezes randomly. I have been walking, standing idle, creating a new hired character and talking to other characters when a game crash has occurred.

inspecting the crash.dmp in Visual Studio shows

"The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access." Unity engine and memory management could be an issue. One crash while playing the game resulted in a blue screen which was listed as a "Page Fault" a memory access related error.

I have attached the requested files that game has generated in a .zip. Aside from these issue I have enjoyed the game and hope to play it from long periods of time in the future upon a patch for these issues. Good luck in your bug pursuit.

Attached Files

Edited by voyager25, 20 May 2018 - 02:06 PM.

Maniwald

Maniwald

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Game crashes and Windows automatically reboots and with increasing frequency. At the beginning I could play 3-4 hours without crashing but now I am lucky if I get a hour. No apparent pattern to it as far I can tell. I have done the usual song and dance you do in these situations - updated the drivers (nvidia), tried different settings, turned off background programs. So far no dice. I think I still have my old graphics card, switching seems to be the last option. Sucks to be in this situation - game is fun otherwise...

IlyaP

IlyaP

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Steam:dathrik

Hi Obsidian developers and co., 

This was one of the first posts I came across while searching for a solution to my problem. My hope is that in producing this post here, it might get the attention of the correct/relevant parties. I'm happy to take this off-forum with private messages, if that's the most suitable and/or preferred approach. 

The original poster, who explained that his game was unplayable? 

I'm experiencing the exact same issue, albeit on Windows 10 to their Windows 8. And with an Nvidia GTX 1060. 

Spec-wise, I am running: 

Windows 10

With an i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20

RAM: 16 gig

And of course, I have enough HD space to store the game. 

I should probably add: I purchased the Obsidian Edition of the game, as I loved the first game that much (I've logged approximately 80 hours of it in Steam). 

Now, look, I know that when games come out, it's not going to work on every system. I know you try and anticipate every issue that could occur with every issue that comes up, which is why you postponed the release of the game by one month. 

No problems there. Hell, Fallout 4, a day after its release, had a 500mb patch. 

So I'm maintaining a realistic set of expectations. 

Obviously, it's only been a few weeks, and I know you're all hard at work, dealing with all the obvious problems that come from not being able to predict/anticipate every possible configuration. 

Please - take your time. 

All I'd like to know is: 

Why oh why does the game take an astonishingly long time to load (upwards of nearly 2 minutes) and why it crashes just as I approach the first adra column in the dream sequence at the start of the game? And of course: when might it actually be playable? 

A good thing is never rushed. And I'm happy to wait. 

But I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Because Patch 1.2 didn't seem to fix anything for me. 

But that's OK - I have Pillars of Eternity and the awesome Tyranny to tide me over until PoE II: DF work. 

Thanks for what I am sure is an awesome game. 

Have a good day! 

Kind regards, 

-i-

The Burton

The Burton

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am writing this being in an immense frustrating mood , i was a PoE1 backer and was waiting for my pledge to activate whith the PoE2 release for months now.
Alas , the game is unplayable. This is the truth.

I had the typical crushes on character creation scene , which miraculously vanished once i changed the audio sampling rate from 48K+ to 44.1/16 bit ( i use an OPPO dac as my main audio card ). 

The game was doing OK , so i managed to level up my party up to lvl 5 , after almost 18hours of playtime.

Today , i cant even play for 2 minutes , games keep crushing and forcing my rig to reboot.

I dont have a log , or any crush details log , since this happens suddenly.

My rig is by far over the minimum,

i7 5820K
16 gb ram
SSD 
2 GTX 980 TI in SLI

Win 10 Home , version 1803

Nvidia Geforce latest drivers , all updated Ver 397.64

I am running everything in 4K.

I had same issues on Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain , BUT they were over ONCE i downgraded my audio sampling rate , a solution that clearly HAVENT WORKED in this case.

I just , played PoE1 again for a few minutes , just to check if everuthing run smooth and THEY WERE.

I did that also with MGSPP , which needs massive GPU power , and also runs smoothly.

Did the same thing with Divinity Original SIn 1 , and guess what , it still runs smoothly.

But at the same time , in the same system , with nothing changed , PoE2 refuses to work.

Sorry for tthe big post , but man , this is very unpleasant. Very very unpleassant.

UPDATED:

I DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL REMAIN , HOPEFULLY I DO , BUT IT SEEMS THAT ONCE I DISABLED MSI AFTERBURNER INCLUDING RIVA AND DISABLED GPU OVERCLOCKING I MANAGED TO PLAY WITH NO CRASHES .

MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY IT TOO AND SEE IF IT HELPS 

Edited by The Burton, 23 May 2018 - 04:10 PM.

Alpharius

Alpharius

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

I'll tag along with IlyyaP above - I try to keep my expectations in check when dealing with a new release, especially considering this isn't "technically" a AAA title and may not necessarily have the resources of a GTA5 or Witcher 3 to go through troubleshooting to quite the same extent before release.  But this is ridiculous.

First my specs: i5 6600k oc'd @ 4.3ghz, 16gb ram, gtx 1080ti, win10

I have an fairly powerful gaming computer that runs pretty much everything I throw at it 1440p between 80-120fps.  This game, 100% of the time that I play it, does one of 3 things: 

-completely crash to a blank screen (so far I've not had to restart my computer when this happens) 

-frame rate either starts out incredibly low, choppy, and flickering on screen, or it will randomly happen while playing.  the amount of time varies, but always within 30 mins.  once it happens the game has to be restarted for it to go away

-the screen will freeze with numerous visual artifacts all over the place.  I still have sound I can hear things happening when I blindly click or open a menu screen, but the screen is frozen in place usually with a very distorted and garbled view of whatever was happening last.  I can alt tab out of the game but the screen will not pull back up if I try to get back in.  

As I said before, one or more of these things happens 100% of the time within 30-40 minutes of playtime. I dont have hardly any crash logs to share because it more often just freezes and I have to manually shut off the program.  

I went back to a previous nvidia driver which seemed to help the frame rate issue right after a new driver was released, but the game would still crash.  I updated to the most recent driver that came out today, and again the screen will either freeze or the framerate drops to the point of not being playable anymore.  

I ordered the deluxe version of this game since I was a MASSIVE fan of the original, to the tune of 270 hours.  I loaded it up just to make sure it wasn't some sort of game engine thing and it worked fine.  

I've tried a couple of the little tweaks and tips that people have thrown out there, maybe one will work, but for me the game isn't playable in it's current state.  If this can't be fixed in the next couple of weeks I'm going to ask for a refund - I wont pay $60 for a game that crashes, freezes, or looks like complete garbage and is unplayable.  I've loaded up and played a lot of other games to make sure it's not my PC, and everything else runs perfectly; witcher 3, world of warcraft, the first pillars, vermentide 2, all of them run flawlessly.  

scatman839

scatman839

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Another random crash. about 5 minutes into the game. Just clicking through searching some random abandoned village

Attached Files

Edited by scatman839, 28 May 2018 - 07:12 AM.

Nitrium Oxide

Nitrium Oxide

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

I'm not 100% sure, but my random crashes seem to have drastically decreased after reinstalling my RealTek audio drivers. I have a feeling that the Windows April update may have broken certain drivers, making games unstable.

http://www.realtek.c...3&GetDown=false

Update: I ripped out my R9 390 and put in a 1050Ti and installed Geforce drivers. The game has been rock solid ever since (at least 10 hrs with no crashes). The R9 390 is not broken, BTW, I completed Far Cry 5 on it just a few weeks earlier. I'd suggest a "clean install" of all your drivers and maybe if you have integrated graphics, try switching to that and see if it still crashes.

Edited by Nitrium Oxide, 01 June 2018 - 09:43 PM.

CliveHowlitzer

CliveHowlitzer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am having similar crashes.

Windows 7

i7-4810MQ 2.8Ghz

16GB of RAM

GeForce GTX 880m with the newest drivers.

I can sometimes get 15-20 minutes out of it and my crashes occur most frequently when leveling up characters. I've tried most of the things in this thread already with no luck.

lord_wethington

lord_wethington

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I am also having similar issues. My rig will up and quit at the slightest hint of an explosion on screen in this game. I did the song and dance like everyone else, and nothing changed the crashes. Of course my rig has been blue screening me constantly since February, so who knows at this point. I have an Alienware Alpha r2 with an Intel i3 6100T and an Amd 480 with 8 gb of RAM on Windows 10.

Sirgin

Sirgin

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Turn the vsync off and change the framerate to 60/per second. It works for me :)

bdougherty

bdougherty

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hi all I too was suffering from Pillars constant crashes, until I moved the game to my SSD HDD, the game now no longer crashes for me. I have been suffering these issues from day 1 and tried everything to resolve it. It seems that pillars is IO sensitive in some way. The following are my drive results (winsat):

Original drive:

> Disk  Random 16.0 Read                       1.51 MB/s          4.0
> Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read                   102.01 MB/s          6.6
> Disk  Sequential 64.0 Write                  97.94 MB/s          6.5
> Average Read Time with Sequential Writes     5.194 ms          5.9
> Latency: 95th Percentile                     36.850 ms          2.5
> Latency: Maximum                             124.570 ms          7.6
> Average Read Time with Random Writes         10.079 ms          4.5

SSD drive:

> Disk  Random 16.0 Read                       2.83 MB/s          4.5
> Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read                   106.30 MB/s          6.7
> Disk  Sequential 64.0 Write                  125.91 MB/s          7.0
> Average Read Time with Sequential Writes     4.141 ms          6.3
> Latency: 95th Percentile                     8.521 ms          5.9
> Latency: Maximum                             18.335 ms          7.9
> Average Read Time with Random Writes         4.223 ms          6.2

Dem5957

Dem5957

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Steam:Dem595715

Game crashes at:

2019-02-18_161554 next to game executable

-common man! This group is level 20 maxed out, I finished this dungeon and tried 3x to exit this dungeon, but it always crashes!!! I don't know how to attach files but this is what the box says to report. 

hottersoup

hottersoup

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

I'm getting crashes every 15 minutes. I've been saving like crazy and rebooting my laptop to try to make a little bit of progress.

I've attached an example crash report from the latest one, caused by clicking on an Exceptional Rod in the party stash. 

It's possible that it's some problem with my laptop configuration, but I'm not sure where I would even begin to troubleshoot it. 

I'm going to take a break from the game in the hopes that a patch will fix this. 

Attached Files

Dem5957

Dem5957

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Steam:Dem595715

game still crashes same place:

2019-02-22-153814 near executable file.....

It seems they're more intent on getting turn base running rather than fixing all the crashes...As I paid a premium for this game it is very disappointing. At least with Origens Dragon Age you can call and talk to someone who will help you through the fix....here we are just left hoping for a patch........and waiting, and waiting.................

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5929 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Have you tried: https://support.obsidian.net

hottersoup

hottersoup

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

I'm getting crashes every 15 minutes. I've been saving like crazy and rebooting my laptop to try to make a little bit of progress.

I've attached an example crash report from the latest one, caused by clicking on an Exceptional Rod in the party stash. 

It's possible that it's some problem with my laptop configuration, but I'm not sure where I would even begin to troubleshoot it. 

I'm going to take a break from the game in the hopes that a patch will fix this. 

Following up on my earlier post. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game seems to have fixed my CTD problems. 

Coyam

Coyam

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I have random crashes to report in.

They always lead to a hard reset, and sometimes i get a glimpse of Windows BSoD, I'm not sure but recalling the error name i'll guess it something like this whea_uncorrectable_error  the error is rarely seen.

For the trigger of this crashes ill be really vague about them since i don't know what triggers them, i can tell that Crookspur was terrible it cost me 7 hard resets or more and quit the game that day out of frustration.

Also did the old chants and dances we all know to no avail.

Now PC aspects:

Hardware:

CPU: AMD FX 8350.

MOBO: Asus M5A97PRO.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 3200MHZ.

GPU: Radeon RX 480 8192 Mbb GDDR5.

ROM: HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB and SSD Kingston 512GB.

Software:

Running the game on Steam.

I can made my self clear that this is not an OS problem, since i use my PC for work most of the day and i never run on a BSoD.

This is really saddening, i find the game way better in general to the first one but this constants crashes are really mod dampening.

I'll wait for a future update that will reduce the amount of random crashes and for the time being i'll let the game on the shelf collecting dust and keep wondering what was Eothas doing with the Adra Giant of Caed Nua.

Otherwise seems like a really good game.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash, freeze, broken, unplayable, mess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users