Tavern Recruitment bugged

Kragtor

Question

So, I just hired a level 4 Hireling and here is the issue:

1. Creation process worked just like a level 1 character, allowing me all the choices it should.

2. Character generated at level 3, even though i'd only been able to pick things for the first level.

3. Character had enough XP to hit level 4, like it should, but it only gave me the leveling choices for achieving level 4.

So my level 4 character never hit level 2 or 3, and at level 4 as a Wizard is still only able to cast level 1 spells. I also only got the 2 skill points for Alchemy/whatever.

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

Hey, Kragtor. Would you happen to have a save game and/or log files that we could use to help reproduce this issue? If not, can you let me know what level your player character was and at which tavern you recruited the suspect hireling? Thank you for any further direction you can provide.

--Doug.

--Doug.

Links to the save before and after hiring Evokia.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdaknaoncpzccue/Ixiar%20%28TheKrakensEye%29%20%283799bc9f-f432-425e-9b03-05809d0f7db2%29%20%28755668470%29.savegame?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gj6oabcfspleogh/Ixiar%20%28TheKrakensEye%29%20%283799bc9f-f432-425e-9b03-05809d0f7db2%29%20%28755669386%29.savegame?dl=0

To reiterate: She was hired as a level 4 adventurer. it allowed me to go through character creation successfully, and then skipped right to level 3. I have auto level turned off, and didn't get to put the points for level 2 and 3 in. The first level it allowed me to do was level 4, and did not unlock level 2 spells. The game thought it was going from 1 to 2 in some ways, and 3 to 4 in others.

Edited by Kragtor

So I went to recruit myself a custom made paladin/druid adventurer at level 6 and upon completing it I was surprised to see it start at level 3 and give me levels rather than 1 and give me them.

It also showed me as a lower power level than I actually was meaning I couldn't get access to the correct tier of level up choices.
so I went to reroll the character from scratch using the tavern again and found that it stripped me of all weapon proficiencies but the power level had been corrected.

Both of these situations aren't really preferable.

after some further testing I've found that no matter what level you decide to recruit a new adventurer at 1-6 it will always start it at 3 instead of 1.
That includes if you attempt to recruit a level 1 adventurer.
I would use console to get around this but I'm pretty attached to my achievements :(

This is happening to me as well, when hiring adventurers from kraken's eye. it doesn't matter which level hireling im trying to hire, they all come out as level 3, with enough xp for lvl 4, but never had the leveling points for level 2 and 3.

Something similar happened to me. I hired a level 7 Adventurer in the Wild Mare and made her a Swashbuckler. I have auto-leveling turned off. The first level I got to assign was level 5, and I could only access first level abilities. Second level abilities didn't unlock until I hit level 7, even though she should have access to third level abilities at that point.

post-211546-0-72443500-1526049822_thumb.jpg

post-211546-0-08102500-1526049834_thumb.jpg

Hello Shriller,

Thanks for posting and sorry that this issue is affecting your playthrough. Ill get this bugged up and reported for our databases so the devs can investigate what is going on.

Best,

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

No problem Cdiaz,

It's a shot in the dark but it might be worth mentioning that I play on path of the damned with level scaling set to "All" and "only upwards"

If I remember correctly path of the damned adds a solid 2 levels to enemies so that could be mistakenly applied to new recruits as they are generated

Thank you for investigating this issue. Others have reported similar problems:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98785-hired-adventurers-start-at-level-2-messing-up-their-leveling-progression/?hl=%2Binn+%2Badventurers+%2Blevel+%2Bbug

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98958-leveling-only-low-level-abilities-available/

The console command OpenCharacterCreation also suffers from these issues.

Hi everyone! I found the issue and it has been fixed in 1.0.2, which went live on May 17th, 2018.

It was an issue with Level Scaling being enabled, and the system not recognizing the newly hired adventurers as non NPC's, therefore it was trying to scale them up, before even going through character creation.